+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Student midwife in Brisbane looking to share your pregnancy journey

Hello, my name is Kelsey. I am a second year Bachelor of Nursing/Bachelor of Midwifery student at the University of Queensland, Brisbane. As part of the national requirements to become a registered midwife in Australia, student midwives must follow the pregnancy journeys of at least 20 women, including pregnancy care, support during labour and birth and care after your baby is born.

The role of your student is completely up to you, I can be involved as little or as much as possible. The university requires the student to attend a minimum of 5 antenatal (during pregnancy) appointments (GP visits, antenatal classes, ultrasounds etc.), the birth of your baby and 2 postnatal (after birth) visits. Your student may, for example, assist the midwife with history taking, abdominal palpations and measurements to monitor your baby’s growth antenatally; help monitor your baby’s heart rate and your contractions during labour; and assist with breastfeeding and teaching about new baby care postnatally. First and foremost, your student is there to offer further support and encouragement, to help answer questions you may have, and to learn about pregnancy, birth and the postnatal period.

Your student will only attend appointments and the birth with your consent. You are free to withdraw from the program at any time, for any reason, no questions asked.

I am looking especially for women due between November 2013 and February 2014, as seeing as these are uni holidays I am most likely to be available to attend your appointments and be present at your birth. However, I welcome emails from anyone at any gestation who are looking for more information, or who would be interested in a student midwife!

I am student-based at Redcliffe Hospital and the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital and live close to the Mater Mothers Hospital, however, if you are planning to birth at a different hospital please contact me anyway as we can work something out.

Thank you in advance for your generosity; without women willing to share their birth journeys with students, there would be no midwives!

Email: Kabrumpton@hotmail.com

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Kelsey. I've sent you an email