+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I won't be allowing my children to smoke marajauna in my presence, playing "Cool Mum" in my opinion is one of the worst things you can do.

I'm pretty liberal in my views towards drugs, I've tried most things as has my partner so I guess I'm resigned to the fact that our son will be curious. My approach will be one of honesty not horror stories nor being "cool" with it.

I like this exchange from South Park....

Stan: I've been told a lot of things about pot, but I've come to find out a lot of those things aren't true. So I don't know what to believe!

Randy: Well, Stan, the truth is marajauna probably isn't going to make you kill people, and it most likely isn't gonna fund terrorism, but, well son, pot makes you feel fine with being bored, and it's when you're bored that you should be learning some new skill or discovering some new science or being creative. If you smoke pot you might grow up to find out you aren't good at anything.

If that fails you can always turn to Cartman...
    "Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippy, and hippys suck!"

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Euphrosyne For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (08-07-2013),IvyRain  (08-07-2013),Maybelline  (08-07-2013),MissMuppet  (08-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope won't be happening here...

I think it's better to deal with WHY you would feel the need to check out all the time rather then sit around being out of it all the time..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a fence sitter on this and will cross the bridge when and if it comes up.

I smoked dope socially as a teen when at parties, (between 15 and 17) and personally I enojoyed it and preferenced it over alcohol. 1 or 2 joints or cones was nicer than drinking, I found. However, when I smoked (or drank, for that matter), now this may sound like an oxymoron, but I was sensibke about it, never went over board, still sober enough to have my wits about me, but loose enough to relax. I also always knew where my gear came from becuse it was grown by friends, gosh, I'd never buy it from dealer!

DH on the other hand, has never smoked doped and never wanted to. His sister on the other hand was more like me, but they obviously had the same upbringing, just different personalities. And as for what approach we'd take with our children, obviously an open and educated one on substances, would I condone their use drugs? Of course not, just like I wouldn't supply them with the gear. But if found out hey had used pot, I think I'd be like to talk to hem oonly about it. Why they tried it, how did they feel, let hem know I don't condine it, that I feel upset that they would use an illegal drug, and yeah, keep the lines open, draw the line in the sand, and face consequences if it contines, that type of thing...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I do agree with some of the comments on it not being any worse than alcohol and i agree in the sense that it is not ok to NEED to smoke pot daily nor is it ok to NEED a drink... I like to have a glass of wine at night with DP when the kids are all bathed and fed, but if we don't have any I don't stress and can go without, My EXDH couldn't go to work in the morning without having 1 or 2 or 3 cones, first thing he would do when he would get home was to go straight to his bong, If he didn't work it was all day long, then he get into the harder stuff when pot no longer did what he needed it to do. He tried to compare this to me having a glass of wine at night, far cry from the same if you ask me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have tried it, 2 or 3 times max.

I hate not being in control of my own body so no more for me. That's why I don't drink to get drunk either.

I'm not stupid enough to think that my kids won't try it, but I will educate them to hopefully not become habitual users.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

RoseBetweenTheThorns  (08-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Jellyfishie; 08-07-2013 at 19:25.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Havent read every post.

But can i be a bit lame and say... I watch celebrity rehab (im a bit addicted to it lol ironic eh?)

And i watched a season recently where a celebrity had been addicted to heroine and pot. He got clean thanks to dr drew... Didnt relapse with heroine at all. But multiple relapses with pot!

I have seen some serious psychological damage caused by pot addiction... And it will never ever be tolerated in my household.

My boys are on the spectrum. There is an increased chance of substance abuse for adults on the spectrum as a way to deal with the differences they feel between them and the world. It terrifies me that this could happen to them and i'll do every thing in my power to make sure it doesnt happen to them.

Braiiiiins
    *60kilos lost*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I used to smoke it a bit during my teens, didn't really like it, won't have it again and won't have it in my home at all.
    My xDP used to smoke it, I let him know what I thought of it when I met him and he quit very soon after that. Can't stand the smell of it. It's nothing fun or cool, I just hope my kids can see that..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have done LOADS of drugs....pot, LCD, ecstasy, speed, cocaine, mushies and alcohol. And I wont lie....I loved it. I had awesome fun and I do look back at that time fondly....boy I have some cracking stories.

I was lucky that nothing bad ever happened to me and I didn't any bad batches of drugs. The worst thing that happened was some mild paranoia on weed so I stopped smoking (and I was putting on weight from the munchies).

Its hard as I know that my kids will most likely try it and as much as I prefer they didn't I cant watch them 24 7 to make sure they don't. And I feel it makes me a hypocrite to say 'even tho I did you cant'.

All I can do is try to educate them about the side effects...not just from the drug itself but the risky behaviours that can come from taking them.

Same as I will educate them about safe sex, saving money, eating healthy, safe driving, etc. That is all I can do...what they choose to do with that info will ultimately be up to them.

But to answer the OP...I would hate to have the responsibility of watching my nephew smoke for the first time. If he had a bad trip or something....I just wouldn't feel comfortable. Also if I had a falling out with my sister she could use that against me 'you let my underage child have an illegal drug' and personally I don't want that.

Maybe all you need to do is talk to him about it. Tell him your experiences, the good the bad and the ugly and maybe that will be enough.