+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to add, I think it's really hard to judge how you would handle a situation with your children taking drugs until it happens to you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Missy18 For This Useful Post:

BbBbBh  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree pot is not ok in my house either and hope that I educate my children enough that they never want to try but I am saying if they did I would hope they choose to try it in a environment surrounded by people trustworthy enough to be help and/or get help if required which I think is what my sister is trying to enforce with her son.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just want to add that I have dabbled with it and looking back, I was absolutely stupid! I always thought that pot was okay and as long as I never tried the 'harder' drugs (I never have and never will) it was okay. I have an ex bf that was diagnosed with schizophrenia in his teens because of cannabis use. How naive was I...
    Last edited by atomicmama; 07-07-2013 at 16:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My own personal experience with it has been negative.
    I won't be giving it any other spin than negative when speaking with my children.

If an adult can use it for recreational purposes, similar to alcohol, without any ill consequences - it doesn't bother me that much.

But comparing talking about your friends using it and the potential for your children using it - create two very different emotional responses in me.

Sent from my LT15i using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loodle View Post
    I agree pot is not ok in my house either and hope that I educate my children enough that they never want to try but I am saying if they did I would hope they choose to try it in a environment surrounded by people trustworthy enough to be help and/or get help if required which I think is what my sister is trying to enforce with her son.
    Agree completely...you need to make sure if they do for whatever reason try it, they try it in a safe environment. But you also need to be careful you don't make it out to be ok....what happens if they like the experience & want to continue trying it? Where do you draw the line?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm anti-drugs, of any kind! I will tell my children that it's not ok etc etc but I do think it's naive to think the temptation will never be there for them at friends houses, parties etc when they're older.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have tried marijuana, and I didn't like it... I do have some friends that will smoke it on occaision. I will never allow it in my home though, and my children will definitely not be exposed to it. But TBH I don't think pot is any more dangerous than alcohol. And frankly alcohol abuse causes more injuries, deaths, family break ups etc every year than pot does.... I am more worried about my children abusing alcohol because it is so socially acceptable.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (07-07-2013),risfaerie  (08-07-2013),saxonrose  (08-07-2013),Tildy  (08-07-2013)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was raised by a couple of hippies, and cannabis or dope as we called it was pretty much an everyday thing in the household.

I did try it as a teenager, and thankfully had a really bad experience, so don't like it at all. I am completely anti drugs in any form, and so is my sister, we both saw people bombed out all the time in our childhood.

My brother got into dope quite heavily, and then into party drugs, and then amphetimenes and was on those for 10 years, a couple of near OD's later he ended up in rehab and is thankfully clean now. Our whole family were in shock when we heard he was a speed user, none of us knew.

Anyway, having said all of that, my father is an alchoholic (no longer drinks) and alcohol had a much worse effect on our family than cannabis.

I feel alcohol is by far worse than dope, but won't be saying anything good about either drug to my boys.

Hopefully they do not end up users of any drugs.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

MrsHoward  (07-07-2013),saxonrose  (08-07-2013),SugarSkull  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've seen far more damage from alcohol abuse than marijuana.

I don't know what the world's views on it will be when my baby is a teen/adult but if it's relatively the same as it is now I expect she'll come across it, I wont approve or encourage, but I assume it will happen and it doesn't concern me greatly. Sorry, I'm the first to say it on this thread, but I know a few very successful people who are occasional pot smokers, it is done socially and it doesn't effect them being very successful, respectable people in their day to day lives.

It is totally not acceptable as a daily use type of thing - in the same way someone who drinks to excessive amounts daily is unacceptable. I know the legal aspect of it should mean I think marijuana use is worse but... From what I've seen, it's just not.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LittleLadyBojangles For This Useful Post:

Bearskin  (07-07-2013),F&A  (07-07-2013),SugarSkull  (07-07-2013),Tainted  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used to be a massive 'stoner' and if I hadn't accidently fallen pregnant I probably still would be. I found it incredibly hard to quit on multiple occasions until I found out had a little person in my belly, and had no intentions of subjecting them to my smoke so I quit cold turkey. The vast majority of my friends have tried it, some ended up addicted, many just have the occasional social smoke which I don't view as any worse than social drinking every now and then. It is not something I would ever encourage in my child, obviously, and I intend to be open and honest when discussing drugs in the hope that my children won't ever be too scared to tell their mother if they have/are planning on experimenting. I've had a joint twice since my son was born, on the way to music festivals interstate and no where near my child, and if people care to judge negatively I couldn't honestly care less

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

saxonrose  (08-07-2013),SugarSkull  (07-07-2013)