+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    babycake is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Funniest Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Being late for christams is disrespectful to your hosts and anyone else who had a hand in planning the meal. I know it is only half an hour, but in my family it would be a big deal. I would absolutely wake my baby, in my case twins.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    We have always been wherever we are having Christmas lunch before lunch so my kids will just sleep. Usually I can't eat with everyone because I will be off putting them to sleep but I have woken them for other things like going to watch DF play soccer.

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would be fuming if someone arrived late to my Christmas lunch! To me its completely rude and disrespectful. I wake DS for important things but casual stuff, depending on what it is I let him go a little longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you have kids them life doesn't run on time! I would only consider it rude if you didn't turn up and didn't let anyone know......there's always someone late in my family and we all just go with the flow!

I know I will be waking ds tomorrow morning though. He sleeps til 8am normally but I have a hosp app at 8am so he is getting dropped at daycare at 7am........it's going to be a tough morning haha

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mummtime101 For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (07-07-2013)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HugsBunny View Post
    What if waking your child meant that, whilst you arrived on time, you couldn't eat with everyone any way because bub was so upset and vocal, they had to be taken out of the room so as to not disturb everyone else?

Surely arriving later and having everyone else eat on time is preferable?

My second bub would never have gone down for a sleep earlier.
    None of mine would have gone down earlier either (I have four) but I did and would wake a bub earlier than normal or DH and I would tag team holding an upset bub at an event because it's Christmas and I would hate knowing that people were waiting to eat at an occasion because of us - my family are the kind that would wait till everyone was ready to eat
    For one day that someone else has planned and organised, yes I would take the pain iykwim. It's one day.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

kw123  (08-07-2013),SpecialPatrolGroup  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I woke her up, but it wasn't often that we did things at times when she'd be sleeping. She had a good routine, but if it was broken she fell easily back into it. We never went anywhere for Christmas lunch. Even if we're away for Christmas, we have lunch wherever it is that we're staying so if she was asleep it was no drama.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It was Xmas! A ton of work goes into that meal.

And the Xmas table is a big part of that. Not quite the same with a few empty places while others tuck in. And I personally wouldn't start without everyone, especially at Xmas. It's meant to be a happy, family event.

Totally rude. I'm sure precious bub can cope with 30 mins less sleep, after all that's all it would be to avoid being 30 mins late.

None of my friends or family would ever or have ever done that, and we definitely haven't.

Casual things, much less of an issue. But the fact it was Xmas is significant.

Being late if you're meeting at a cafe or something is beyond rude. I always wake my boy, and expect the same courtesy. Most people roughly know when their children sleep though and I always build in a 30 min buffer.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (08-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post

And the Xmas table is a big part of that. Not quite the same with a few empty places while others tuck in. And I personally wouldn't start without everyone, especially at Xmas. It's meant to be a happy, family event.

Totally rude. I'm sure precious bub can cope with 30 mins less sleep, after all that's all it would be to avoid being 30 mins late.

None of my friends or family would ever or have ever done that, and we definitely haven't.

Being late if you're meeting at a cafe or something is beyond rude. I always wake my boy, and expect the same courtesy. Most people roughly know when their children sleep though and I always build in a 30 min buffer.
    I know some babies have no routine, but most people still have some kind of rough idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post

Agreed. I used to get annoyed when I'd meet a friend with a kid the same age as DD, and I would organise the day to make sure I turned up on time, and then she'd call to say she'd be late as her child was sleeping. This was particularly annoying when I'd woken mine so as not to be late!

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow, normally I'd shrug and say whatever but my little guy kept me awake all night (again) and I'm running on empty so I'll bite .

I'm really suprised by the amount of people insisting that it's rude to be half an hour late to a family Xmas lunch because your baby is still asleep. No one in my family would think it was at all rude. It's happened to me before and no one has said anything other than "No no, don't wake the baby. Your food will be here when you get here".

Babies are noisy, angry and just plain awful to be around when they're tired and half an hour less of sleep can mean the difference between a happy baby cooing in your lap while you enjoy a meal and a screaming, red faced and tearful miniature troll keeping you in a separate room so that everyone ELSE can enjoy their meal, patting and shushing for a couple of hours until they deign to fall asleep. If they do. Which they probably won't simply because that's what you want. And the second your bum cheeks touch a dining room chair the screaming will start again.
    Babies don't understand "Oh, but your Aunty put so much work into that meal". In fact, if they do they clearly don't give a flying watoozi. Either that or they really are the tiny jerks of the animal world and enjoy the fact that they're preventing you from consuming said culinary ecstasy simply to p!ss off both you and Aunt Precious in one sweeping gesture of infantile pettiness. This is pretty unlikely, lets be honest.

For those of you who are willing to accept a screaming, snot nosed, angry dwarf keeping you locked in a darkened room for several hours so that your unhappy spawnling doesn't offend (read: shatter) the eardrums of your nearest and dearest I commend you. You're a braver person than I.
    I prefer to call ahead, arrive half an hour late, and eat a reheated meal and have people whinge that I wasn't at the table at the exact moment that grandfather burped and the whole table laughed... Oh the laughter... Than to spend most of the day trying to console the poor little munchkin who would have been a happy little Santa's helper for the day who entertained the crowd with their shenanigans had they but had that extra half hour of sleep. It might mean getting there a half hour later but it will also generally mean being able to stay several hours longer as bub is well rested and more likely to be able to fall asleep in your arms for their nap later on.

As for other events, I generally have the same attitude. If I suspect that my little one/s are going to be asleep for longer than usual and I might be running late I will DEFINITELY call ahead and let people know. I think not doing so really is rude. But how does the saying go? 'Let sleeping babies lie'? (maybe it was dogs... I'm tired). Fair bit of wisdom in that saying I think.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

babybabycakes  (08-07-2013),FluffyDucks  (08-07-2013),HippyGirl85  (08-07-2013),Renn  (08-07-2013),Rutabaga  (08-07-2013)