+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anxiety/panic hell

Hi everyone,
    This is the first time I have posted in any forum so this is all very new to me. I was diagnosed with pnd/pna by my gp a few months ago which was around 8 months after the birth of my second child. I didn't believe that I was suffering pnd for a long time as I have always been a very strong, confident & happy person. I was exstatic after the birth of both my babies but several months into it I started to get anxiety, everything started to freak me out & then I suffered my first panic attack in April. It was the scariest thing. I never thought anxiety could cause such severe physical symptoms!! The dr at the emergency said he thought was anxiety but then two weeks later I had another panic attack which ended up in er again. I told my gp the long list of very scary physical symptoms I was experiencing & she keeps assuring me it's pnd. I am currently on 5mg of Lexapro as I was getting very bad side affects from 10mg - I think it was too much for me. I noticed my moods started improving but I only got my period back last month & I noticed a huge increase in my anxiety. I am now due in about a week & I have noticed I'm very panicky again. Has anyone experienced this? Does it get any better? I'm trying to exercise & go out with my family & relax- but nothing seems to be easing it yet. I would live tohear anyone's thoughts xo

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi and welcome to Bubhub, I too have had PND, but not with the anxiety or panic attacks, I hope someone who has experience with it can help.

With your meds, if you find the lexapro is not helping as much as it should, don't be afraid to go back to the GP to talk about changing meds, often it can take a little while for the right one to be found. Also, usually the first 2 weeks are a settling in period, where you can feel side effects, but it should ease after that.

All the best, and I hope you get relief from it all soon.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Hi there, and welcome. Sorry to hear of your troubles. There are a few of us on here who are unfortunately very familiar with PND.

To answer your question, I took Lexapro for a year following the suicide of a close friend. I had begun to experience the physical anxiety attacks as you mentioned, and as I am a primary school teacher it was vital for me to get them under control. When I began Lexapro I felt much worse before I felt better, and I had to keep telling myself it was just the meds learning how to be in my body. Eventually, maybe after three weeks, I felt myself begin to even out, and yes I think I did feel worse near my period.

I strongly believe that meds are only part of the solution to managing anxiety. Once you have evened out you may be able to think of some activities/mantras to help you through the day. For me it was exercise and music and, unfortunately, briefly taking up smoking again. Telling yourself to relax can make you feel more tense, I think. Something that helped me, and it sounds weird, was making up a mental checklist of all the physical aspects of my anxiety attack if I felt one coming on. I would think like 'yup, there's the shortness of breath, ok here's the tense shoulders...' etc. It helped me to know what was coming and to feel a bit in control, like I understood my own body. Then I would check them off as they disappeared and try and breathe through everything.

It will pass. It will all pass. I hope things improve for you soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I can't offer any advice but I wanted to send you some Hugs and support.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. I have been on the meds for about 8 weeks now. I definitely felt worse in the first few weeks of taking them but eventually I started feeling better but I was having really bizarre vision problems which seemed to ease once I halved the dose. Only thing is now I'm on holidays with my family & thought that would help make me feel better but I've been feeling really panicky. I think because I have more time to think which in my mind is not a good thing. A lot of the physical symptoms of the anxiety have returned - especially lightheadedness & dizziness. I keep feeling like I'm going to pass out. Planning to see a psychologist when I get back. Has seeing a psych helped anyone else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't have time for a detailed reply right now but just wanted to let you know that I suffer from anxiety and it is absolutely affected by my hormones!! Always hits me just before my period is due!! Will come back to chat later!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My symptoms are also very physical and I ended up in ED once too!!! You are not alone!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your 2 bubba's! I hope you can find some support here. I suffer anxiety myself, I have suffered PND after the birth of my 2nd baby also. I've suffered panic attacks since about 6 months after the birth of my 1st child. Not sure what sparked it off, lots of stress perhaps but I've been suffering from them for 5 years now and I know just how physically frightening they can be. It has landed me in hospital getting scans done on my heart thinking I'm dying of a heart attack only to be told it's anxiety. I'm on Pristiq 50mg per day and unfortunately isn't doing much for me. Anyways enough about me, I'm sorry you're experiencing this. I haven't had the anxiety around the time my period is due but I can understand why you would be getting anxiety then, usually anxiety pops up during a time that brings back past anxiety. For me it has been driving a car, going to the shops, being somewhere unfamiliar to me. I suffer daily with it. I think the biggest factor is keeping your mind at peace, I have to constantly tell myself that it's ok to be scared, but I'm going to be fine and nothing is going to happen to me. Sometimes the best way to deal with it is just to go with it (and I know that's scary) but I have found it to work. Another is to take a deep breath in and exhale as if you were blowing out candles on a birthday cake (I find the thought of this cheers me up too) I do that a few times even if I'm at a supermarket and people can see me because it relaxes me and helps me cope. Sorry I can't be of more help, but hang in there, you can get through this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been suffering from panic attacks and anxiety health issues for about 6 years now. Am also on Lexapro currently 10mg.. I started on 5mg though and then increased. I also got the scary side effects in the beginning.

Just found out I'm pregnant with number 3. Tonight I had a bad sick/ dizzy spell in the car. Scares me so much. I would love to be able to chat if u ever want to.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app