+ Reply to Thread
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Poo Talk

DS has been on three meals a day for about a month, and I started comp feeding him one bottle of formula about two weeks ago, just before bed. For this last month, when he poos he gets on all fours and rocks or screams loudly, usually at about 4am! The poos are like mini-adult logs and they are soft and firm (like a banana), and he doesn't strain at all, just screams. Is this normal? Has anyone seen this before or have any suggestions? It's horribly disruptive to his and my sleep...

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How old is he exactly, and how often is he pooing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    38 weeks and every 24-36 hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would definitely ease back on the solids, and up the formula until the poos go softer. No pooing should not be painful for your bub.

When he passes everything that is stuck in there, and is back on track, maybe just introduce things quite slowly from now on, remembering breast milk or formula should be the mainstay of a childs diet for the first 12 months, and if the problem comes back, just ease back on the solids again.

The issue with bowel problems is that they can cause the bowel to actually stretch, so every time more poo stays in the bowel, and the problem gets worse and worse. Also, the nerves that signal the pooing reflex can become insensitive due to the stretching, which also aggravates the problem.
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 07-07-2013 at 12:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Ok thanks. I only put him on three meals at the recommendation of the CaFHS nurse because I can't keep up with him. He's 11 kg and was cluster feeding overnight til I upped his solids and added formula. So would you suggest more comp feeding?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Personally I would just adjust the balance of solids:liquids until he comes right. You'll know when you get the balance right.

Are you BF as well? OK yes, I realise you are

Bottom line, less solids more liquids!!

ETA: Breastmilk is a natural laxative, the formula 'could' be adding to the problem, but not necessarily, I think you just need to muck around with it all until it resolves.

All the best.
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 07-07-2013 at 12:18.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

harvs  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would increase foods like pears or the like, which help to soften poo.
    Personally I wouldn't decrease solids as your bub is getting used to increased foods. Sorry, I'm on my phone, so can't see how old your bub is.

Both my DS, but especially DS2, reacted when they started pooing more solid poos. Not so much that it hurts, but I think it took a bit if getting used to the sensation of more solid poo.
    Listen to your gut. If you think you need to ease off solids, go for it.

Regarding stretching the bowel, my understanding is if someone gets constipated (as in dry, pebbly poos which are hard to get out), or if child holds the poo in (as into DS1 case), the bowel will stretch wider to hold the poo. Once the child starts pooing again, it is important to keep the child regular in order to allow the bowel to go back to normal width.
    I was under the impression This only happens if things get serious.
    Just focus on lots of fibrous foods like pears etc, lots of water and bf on demand or continue with formula.