+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Embryo transfer not using ultrasound?

I'm a bit confused - everything I read seems to indicate the embryo transfer if normally done using ultrasound.

I have had two transfers done now (latest a week and a half ago now,and pretty sure AF is kicking in today)

I am going to Fertility First in Hurstville. They get you to have a full bladder, which I thought was required for ultrasound, yet as far as I can tell they don't use ultrasound in the transfer. They show me the eggs waiting to be transferred on a screen, then the doctor seem to just transfer them in by eye. (Screen now just a seascape or something)

Is this normal? Is it a technique this clinic uses? Is there some kind of fancy ultrasound I'm not aware of that is invisible to the recipient??! I tried to ask the technician on the day, but I couldn't remember the term 'ultrasound' and she didn't understand what I was asking.

What level of information do you generally receive about your IVF process? I notice a lot of people talking about blood result levels, and egg quality ratings. I haven't been told this stuff. Should I be asking?

Thanks - I'm doing this alone, and feel a bit confused by the process sometimes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there. When I had mine done i had a full bladder and ultrasound done on my belly. I could see the embryo being inserted (the put air bubbles around it so it comes up white on the screen) however I didn't get to see my embryo.
    One of my friends tho did not have an ultrasound done when she had her first transfer. It seems to depend on the clinic.
    Hope that helps!! Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also I was told my embryo grade but my friend said they didn't tell her the grade.

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    None of my TFs were done with an ultrasound. My fs explained to me that having a full bladder made the TF easier, because it helped guide the pipette thing through the cervix.
    for your journey, hope you're wrong about AF

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    I never had an ultrasound - FS just did transfer by 'eye/feel' (my baby is asleep in front of me as I write this so it obviously works)
    Every clinic sounds different...I was only told embryo quality when I specifically asked at transfer. Although I had many highest quality not go onto be my baby so I didn't put to much stock in it.
    It's up to you what you want to know - I asked any & every question I wanted...but ultimately many of the details won't tell you what you really want to know (will this cycle make my dreams come true).
    This forum (& I'm happy to answer anything I can) is great for information.
    Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    In all my transfers I never had an ultrasound. I was usually told the 'quality' but really I don't put much faith in that. On my last cycle at time of transfer was told that the embryo quality was so poor it wasn't really even worth going ahead with the transfer. Since I had made the trip from Cairns to Brisbane just for the transfer I said we were going ahead anyway. Wazza told me there was only a 1% chance of success and to go out and have a beer. So I did and that 1% is due in 5 weeks time. So clearly ultrasounds and quality reports don't always mean much.

Good luck with your cycle, for you and hope that you are wrong about AF.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ask Anne about quality or for a copy of your file notes. It's all in there. You just need to understand that every clinic grades their embryos differently as well so an A grade at one clinic could be a B at another. With FF they only freeze well graded embryos so if you have any leftovers to freeze you can take that as a good sign. I've only had transfers with FF so never by guided ultrasound.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had transfers with both Fertilty First and IVFA and neither clinic used ultrasound guidance for transfers. While with IVFA they actually put 1 of my embryos into a false passage in my cervix because they didn't use guidance so it never even had the chance to implant This was one of the reasons I moved to Genea who use ultrasound as standard practice for all transfers and I also had a consult with the embryologist prior to transfer to discuss the quality of my embies. Others experience may vary but I usually had to specifically ask with the other 2 clinics.
    Last edited by Starf1sh; 07-07-2013 at 15:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your feedback - at least I know now it's not that unusual.

Was wondering Starfish how you knew that one of your embryos was placed wrongly?

Unfortunately AF definately has arrived with a vengeance this afternoon. For some reason the dates the clinic gives are always quite a lot out - they estimated the 11th! Same with all other steps of this and last cycle.

I have one embryo frozen - had none freezable last time, so I guess 1 more shot at least...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had undiagnosed Asherman's syndrome at the time of transfer and my cervix was scarred shut by adhesions, so there is no way the embryo made it into my uterus. Ultrasound guidance would likely have identified there was a problem at the time. The false passage and scarring was subsequently discovered at a diagnostic hysteroscopy a couple of months later.

I'm sorry to hear that AF has arrived.
    Last edited by Starf1sh; 07-07-2013 at 20:54.