+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We never circ ds and neither is DH. I guess we believe that if your were born with it why cut it off?? Obviously if it was for medical purposes then its a different story but if it ain't broke why fix it??? Genetics and evolution fix problems when they need to be fixed and a bit of skin that has been there for thousands of years obviously isn't a problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    I suppose it is in western culture too though its more by way of ingesting unhealthy substances until we are obese or plastic surgery.

I think a good guideline though is consent - a baby can't consent to their body being modified. So that's the guideline I would follow I suppose.

I love hearing what people from other cultures think of western culture also.
    I agree that consent certainly plays an important role, and I can understand why the foreskin ritual I mentioned (for example) would be negatively viewed on that basis - especially from an 'external' perspective. I suppose from my perspective, western cultural practices are often impositions upon children in various ways - you mentioned food options, for example; I just think alot of the time, those living in a Westernised setting tend to think that children in particular are 'freer' than those living in cultures where particular rituals and so on are practiced, when they too are made to live according to various cultural 'norms' and the like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally agree. I don't think western children are free at all lol (I am living in Fiji at the moment) and I think this is a far better place for kids to grow up, but that is a topic for another thread of course.

It is definitely interesting to read your post and I will look out for any others you might post too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mummtime101 View Post
    We never circ ds and neither is DH. I guess we believe that if your were born with it why cut it off?? Obviously if it was for medical purposes then its a different story but if it ain't broke why fix it??? Genetics and evolution fix problems when they need to be fixed and a bit of skin that has been there for thousands of years obviously isn't a problem.
    I think that is a perfectly reasonable argument. I can only say that in cultures where the foreskin is removed (or permanently rolled back as in my cultural background), doing so enables males to take on a 'mark' of their maleness that distinguishes them from others who have not undergone that ritual. It's a means of defining oneself within a group.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like a tattoo?

My husband was circ at 5 and found it very traumatic (not really relevant I know).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like a tattoo?

My husband was circ at 5 and found it very traumatic (not really relevant I know).
    Well, I suppose tattooing could be compared in a certain sense; I was more suggesting in response to mummtime101 that foreskin rituals (whether conventional circumcision or otherwise) cannot be understood purely in terms of medical benefits/reasons. I think that altering the appearance of the penis in such an obvious way has more to do with demonstrating a boy's membership of a community of males. I suppose if all males in a given community had the same tatoo, that would be quite similar, but I personally haven't seen that done in a widespread way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am thinking of Polynesian cultures who have / had tribal tattoos which also tell the story of the lineage etc.

I've seen many Africans with scarification, do you know anything about that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am thinking of Polynesian cultures who have / had tribal tattoos which also tell the story of the lineage etc.

I've seen many Africans with scarification, do you know anything about that?
    Ah, scarification (at least, in my knowledge of men who have undergone it), tended to be done in order to mark particular achievements. For example, a male might receive scars to mark a particular milestone. On my understanding of this, it does not usually occur just by virtue of being born into a particular community, though I am sure there must be variations of which I am unaware.