+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default One year old not eating (and teething)

My little boy has just turned one, which has coincided with a small bout of croup and some serious teething (4 different spots on his gums are swollen and inflamed). He has also had a bit if diarrhoea for the past 3 days- the MHCN thinks this is due to a combination of Predmix that he had a couple if doses of, and the teething.

For the past week or so, he has been really off his food- he will happily drink bottles, sip water, eat toast/sandwiches or frozen watermelon through a mesh feeder. Other than that, he won't have a bar of any food that he would normally eat happily. We have tried both spoon feeding and offering finger food, but he just gets really upset and refuses it. I'm hoping this is a phase that will pass when the teething settles down, but not sure what to do if it doesn't!

Has anyone been through a similar thing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, I've been through exactly the same thing. DS is one and went through a phase of not eating anything. I had to resort back to smooth baby food. It's only just starting to turn around. I've noticed he likes to feed himself. Keep offering all types of food and it will start to get better. If your DS is hungry he will eat. Otherwise what you are doing is great. Keep persisting. It's hard when you go to the effort of making only to have them refuse. It will get better

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As long as they are drinking and having wet nappies don't stress too much. If the diarrhoea persists try a probiotic- you can get powder form from health shop and mix in with their milk. Most kids go off food when sick or teething.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dd is 19 months and is doing this. She doesn't have the diarrhea, just refuses to eat anything for dinner except for pasta. She only has a bedtime bottle now.

It was that bad last night we tried for an hour with dinner then put her to bed with nothing, and she slept fine but started to stir at about 4am.

If anyone has any ideas to help I would be very grateful.