+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My 3 yr old all of sudden sad at daycare

My son (3.3 age) has been in daycare now for 5 months. First few weeks were a struggle but since then he has loved it runs through the doors and takes of playing except last week and this week especially today he didnt want me to leave ad teacher told me he was sad all day??
    She can't seem to think of a reason for the change. Anyone else's child gone through a faze at this age?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have any of his friends left recently? My DD used to love daycare, until her close friends started leaving to go to Kindy. She went from being super happy and excited to go, to crying in the car on the way there it was horrible.

I also honestly think at some stage kids outgrow daycare and get bored if they're not doing enough activities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It could be something as simple as one if the other kids was mean to him the previous day, or just going through a clingy phase. DS went through a clingy phase recently and when I cuddled him goodbye he'd hold on to me so I couldn't leave. Very hard on parents! But I would ring 10 minutes later and they'd tell he he's running around having a good time.

I noticed this is an older thread, how's he going now OP? I was looking for similar threads about full-time daycare and just came across this one. Hopefully your DS has come through this ok?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with anjalee too - kids do get bored sometimes. The carers need to always be changing up the program and coming up with new ideas for activities etc. maybe he was going through a bored phase. They go through those at home to as I'm sure you know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. My 3.5 yr old is going thru the same thing.

He screams like crazy when he gets there but apparently he settles within 15 min after I leave.

It's hard to take though, it breaks my heart. But they assure me he's ok.

We have a few changes going on at home & coupled with the fact his fave teacher went on leave, it got him really upset.

Hope it changes for both you and us soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes my almost 3yr old has always loved going to DC. This week, however, the carer's have told me she has been crying and they cant find a reason why/DD wont tell them why she's crying. They tell me it only lasts for about 10mins, its not a full on melt down. She sorts hersef out (doesnt want a carer) and is ok again.

DD has been going to bed of a night at 10.30pm - her choice, we put her to bed for the night at 7pm. She keeps coming out, we put her back... this goes on from 7-10.30pm every single night. We wake her at her usual 7am even if it's not a DC day (i want to keep her in her usual routine). She then wants a really long day sleep to make up for it but i only allow her 1hr. Basically she's tired! She is very used to getting 12-14hrs of sleep overnight, for HER, she NEEDS this much sleep. That's why she's a little "moodier" than usual. I hope this is a phase. Ive told the DC about it and they agree it's prob why she's all of a sudden upset. Ive asked that they limit her day sleep to 1hr also, but dd hardly sleeps at DC, comes home and crashes. Its a bit of a rough cycle ATM! Im sure we will get past it when the novelty wears off.

Is your DS getting enough sleep perhaps?
    Hae the carers changed shifts or something?
    Does he cry when you leave him or just randomly during the day? If its random, i totally agree with the bordom PP mentioned.
    If he cries when you leave him, is it because he's getting a different reaction from you? an attention thing? this could be linked to tiredness?
    Last edited by Beefie; 24-10-2013 at 13:15.