+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Size of bub

Does anyone know how they estimate the size of bub expected at birth? Or is it all just guess work.
    I'm currently 31 weeks and wondering how big bub will be, we had a growth scan at 29 weeks and weight was 1.3kg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    We had a growth scan at 34 weeks - they looked at the measurements of the head, legs and torso. That is how they estimated bubs size. I am currently 39 weeks - so not sure how accurate it will be yet. However, my OBGYN did say that they are regularly wrong - it is just a guess.
    The other thing they use is your fundal height. You should be measuring a cm for each week of pregnancy - if you are bigger then they suggest that you may have a bigger bub.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As PP said, they measure with ultrasound or go off fundal height. But keep in mind that neither of these methods is completely accurate. It is just an estimate.

I was always at least 1 week ahead throughout, but in the last couple of weeks it all leveled out and I was measuring right on dates by the end of my pregnancy. Bub ended up well above average for size at 9lb 11oz. So

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's all guess work, through most of my pregnancy with dd I was told she was a big baby (10 pound plus) as she measured a couple of weeks ahead, she was 3.8kgs (8 pound something)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same my babies both were estimated big at 32 weeks. I was actually induced with ds as they deemed him to be too big for me full term. They were pretty spot on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had a growth scan at 32 weeks, bub was estimated at 1.8kg (it said could be +/- 333g) and 33rd percentile. 34 week scan said 2.28kg and 41st percentile. Ob appt 2 weeks ago, he said he thought she felt about 7lb, and last appt he said she felt small. So who knows how big she's going to end up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ds -- my fundal height was afew weeks behind. They were worried he was too small but I never had any scans after the morphology at 20 weeks. He was 9lb8oz and I had trouble delivering him due to his size.

Dd -- my fundal height was only a week or so behind. Had ultrasound at 35 weeks due to ds' size & complications. Estimated to be another big baby and measured on the 90th percentile. She was born at 38 weeks by c/sec weighing 4.1kg.

So in my case, fundal height was way off but scan was pretty accurate.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My fundal height always measured ahead by at least a week and DD was 2.7kg when born! Findal height is very inaccurate because you could have mute fluid, etc.

sent from my magic device

Thanks
    Reviews
    its hard with fundal height with subsequent pregnancies too of course...My first two were 9lb+ and the third I was measuring the same..he was 7lb LOL!

It can be hard to tell, but growth scans are your closest bet

I am curious with this one as she is (bump is) tiny compared to my own! So fascinating! lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My fundal height at 31weeks was 31cm so I'm hoping that's good? No one ever really tells me what any of it means!