+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default At what age did you leave your baby alone in bed with a comforter?

My daughter is 4 months old and loves to have something soft touching her face while she's going to sleep, like a soft blanket, my dressing gown or a little comforter that she has. I put her into her cot with the comforter touching her face and have to stay in there for a while til she drifts off because I'm too scared to leave her in there alone with it in case it covers her mouth and nose. Just wondering at what age do you think it's safe to leave the comforter with her, unsupervised?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've left it unsupervised from 6 months with both my kids. I think once they are rolling both ways and more mobile (commando crawling) I felt more relaxed about it but I also have friends who have done it much earlier 4-6 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, my DD loves it too. She loves to rub her tshirt-type material stretchy wraps on her face and suck her thumb to settle. I have given her one to sleep with since she was 8 months old (when she was able to roll confidently). I roll the wrap up like a long thin sausage and stuff about a third of it down the side of the cot and she can't pull it out. She then has about 30cm or so to rub over her face.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    2 years I think, before that is a SIDS risk. According to SIDS and kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about something like a little piece of lace or something that's breathable? It was only at around 5 when she went to school that mine had a favourite toy she took to bed, before that nothing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ds1, at 7, still has his 'spiderman baby'. A soft Spiderman. He started sleeping with it around 1 year old. Prior to that nothing.

Ds2, now 4, has been sleeping with 'Puppy' (a soft small puppy) since about 2. Before Puppy it was his muslin wraps. When he was too big to be wrapped he wanted to keep it. He loved those wraps.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my DS's have used muslin squares from when they were tiny as their blankies. Neither of them would sleep without them. DS1 has only just given his up (nearly 6) and I imagine DS2 will be the same. They are great because they are so light and thin.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Half a snap dancingchipmunk lol!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (05-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My dd has had a comforter near her face since 4 months. She's swaddled so can't get her arms there to put it overt her face. She snuggles into it no matter what side I put it on. The one time it got over face she wiggled her head back and forth or cried out. I've actually never been worried about it. Here's a pic.
    Not the best pic but she has slept with it for a long time.
    If you're worried get a more breathable one.

Edit. .pic didn't work.
    Last edited by Tamtam; 05-07-2013 at 17:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    6 mths. hes no longer swaddled but in a grow bag now with arms free. grabs it and sucks on it till he falls asleep. i remove it when i check on him before i go to bed at night and put it beside him. no issues.
    My 2yrold has 5 comforters and began sleeping with most of them from 12mths old. a blanket, 2 glow worms, a zebra and a big doll. we choose only one when sleeping away from home.
    Last edited by the very last country song; 06-07-2013 at 08:32.