+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dummies. I said nonononoNO. Then at two weeks DS started to suck on my finger for comfort. My finger, no one else's finger. So it was either get the kid a dummy or chop off my finger. I chose the least painful. (Although I imagine that remains to be seen when we try to wean him off it.)

I was adamant that DS would always sleep in his own bed. HA! He spends most of his time in his bed but if he wakes at 5am and I can't be bothered getting up every five minutes to stick his dummy back in, I'll just bring him into bed with us. It usually gives me an extra hour of sleep, so huzzah!

Junk food before the age of one. DS steals food from everyone. I do try to make sure he shoves the healthiest thing in his mouth ... Also, prepackaged baby food. Not for my baby! I was gonna be homemade mama! Sometimes I barely have time to shower, let alone cook. Raffertys all the way, baby!

No daycare until bub turned 1 and I went back to study or work. I sent him off to my mum's for one day (she does FDC) when he was 5 months and he loved it so much I enrolled him the next day. Turns out DS is a social butterfly. Who knew? And bonus - I get to clean the apartment and catch up on a week's worth of laundry. Very exciting.

I also had plans to be the perfectly patient zen mummy. So much for that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought I'd never parent my teenager the way I do. Always swore I'd do/be better.

Yet here I am & no it doesn't work:/

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also said no shortening of name or nickname

That's a massive joke on me as my younger 2 are rarely called by their name just their nickname. My eldest is called about 5 different nicknames she only gets her proper name when she's in trouble & even then it's followed by an expletive lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    So far I haven't done anything that I said I wouldn't, but it's only been 3 weeks

My biggest things are no dummies and no formula. So far haven't been tempted with either. I also say I'm not going to be as overprotective as my mother was when my kids are older but now that he's here...I want to wrap him in bubble wrap We'll see how I go when he's older, hopefully I can let go a bit. I don't want him to be deprived of fun like I was.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I was adamant about no formula, no dummy, no co-sleeping (all the SIDS stuff terrified me), no TV as a babysitter.

No co-sleeping lasted about two weeks. Ditto no dummy (refluxy DS). No TV lasted about a month, until I ended up sitting in front of DVD after DVD during cluster feeding marathons. And I just caved on the no formula thing as I've just started comp feeding - I just can't keep up with him.

I've learnt that there's no way to know what your baby is going to need, and it's ok to change my mind when my son's wellbeing is at stake.

I've got a whole list of never-dos that should last him til adulthood. It'll be interesting to see how many of them last!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really only have one that I am adamant I will never do. And I honestly think it is achievable. I am adamant I will not turn my DD into a spoiled brat. Everything else I will assess at the time. Ohh and I don't want to introduce her to rubbish food till she is two but that one is more a desire than a never thing. I know that one will be hard.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I swore I'd never spoil my kids. Well, that fell through. I don't spend a lot of money on him but a little often has certainly led him to expect treats all the time. Copping the brunt of that now with my 4yo who is the most entitled brat I know. Working to stomp that out of him but boy is it hard! Thankfully DS2 is only a newbie so I'm hoping that by the time he's his brother's age they BOTH appreciate what they're given.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Smack. I hate it but I did it again today and feel absolutely craptastic about it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (05-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Moxy: I accidentally thanked your post, mostly I meant I have been there too and felt craptastic also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I said i'd never be a routine kinda parent. Id be all AP go with the flow.

Didnt work for me at all! I got a bub that needs to be put to bed and didn't like co-sleeping. We took off the toddler rail on my bed by week 4.

Now she thrives on a routine and sleeps 12-13 hours a night with one feed at 8 weeks.