+ Reply to Thread
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How to balance full time work and your family

After working part time for close to eight years I'm heading back to full time work in a couple of weeks after being offered a promotion at work that is too good to refuse. I'm keen to hear from other parents about ways/things you have learned to balance work and home life.
    My DH also works full time and we have a school age child as well as a preschooler in child care - after child care and out of school hours care pick ups we will not be home until about 6pm each weeknight.
    For some time now we have already been ordering our groceries online and getting them delivered weekly and I've booked a cleaner to come in fortnightly to mop, vacuum, clean bathrooms, dust, etc. But I am worried about prepping dinner each evening and still getting the kids bathed and into their pyjamas each night without feeling like I'm rushing them to bed just so I can finally relax.
    So what are your top tips and advice?

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm starting back full time soon again soon, I have just started back again in my maternity leave position 3 days a week. Some things I will be doing are:

- cook ups on the weekend and meals frozen
    - getting a cleaner - I'm not spending my time off cleaning
    - organising daycare clothes and work clothes ahead of time (I have also bought DS daycare specific outfits making it easier to change him in the mornings)
    - set up a morning routine
    - re-iterated to DH that I am also working full time and ensuring domestic duties are shared, he's really good anyway but it doesn't hurt to go over it
    - we're all taking multi-vitamins
    - slowing down our social lives
    - early bed time for everyone

We do meals in the slow cooker on weekends to put aside. Tuesday is cheap pizza so we have that every week and also take away on a weekend night, usually Thai or Indian or something. I find doing a pasta in the slow cooker one weekend day and a stew or curry the other, that gives enough because we still cook as normal, that's extra. Coles click and collect is great, pick up on the way home after work. Also had a cleaner.