+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Green (ahem) snot

DS is 2.5 yrs and has had green snot for the last week or so. Hes not really out of sorts so im not really worried about it.

Just wondering what i can do for him? Its running out of him. eww

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If it's green then I would take him to the doctors. That's always the cue I use with my DS and each time he has had an ear infection.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is it both sides? Does it smell funky?
    Weird I know but I know kids who have had green snot and been well and they actually have something stuck up there!
    Might be worth a trip to the dr

Thanks
    Reviews
    Green snot can be a symptom of lactose intolerance

Thanks
    Reviews
    A general rule of thumb for colds/runny noses is that clear (or close to clear) is a virus, which the dr can't really do a lot for. Green or thick yellow signifies a bacterial infection that can be helped by antibiotics.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Green snot doesn't automatically mean infection.....

http://www.abc.net.au/health/talking...06/2153209.htm

I'd just use a vaporiser at night, and use some Vicks or something if he seems happy

Thanks
    Reviews
    All my kids recently went the green snot route. I sat them all in the bathroom, turned the shower on and made a vapour with some vicks in there and they were all disgusting and emptying their noses TMI. With DS I used drops and a nose sucker to help him breathe and feed. Doctor said yeah it was a nasty cold going around and not a lot he could do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Green/yellow snot is just normal towards the end of a cold. But it's usually only for a day or two. If it's been a week I'd be off to the GP & I'd also be worried that something might be up the nose (especially if it's one sided).

My kids have showers with lots of steam if they have colds to help loosen the snot (gross I know!). With my dd I also use Fess Nasal Spray and the nasal sucker thingie to help clear her nose. Helps her breathe easier.