+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Getting a house ready for sale with a toddler

It's really hard isn't it?

We've chosen to put our house on the market in a couple of months and I've been struggling with decluttering as I have difficulty finding blocks of time when I don't have my toddler underfoot. But, now I've moved onto sourcing things for fixing up the garden/house and I'm finding it really hard. Yesterday's trip to Bunnings with dd ended in tears and I only bought 2 things. Even if she wasn't upset it's not easy to take her and buy big things like garden seats or big pots.

How on earth do you manage?

dh & I are perfectionists and putting the house on the market without it looking good is not something we'll do in theory ... but I have no idea how to actually make it happen!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Do you have any relatives she could hang out with for a couple of hours to give you time ? Or maybe get your DH to take her to the park/out and give you time alone to sort things out?

Make sure you do open houses and ask the agent to only do private inspections at a set time every week ( at times that suit DD with nap/meal times) so you at least know exactly when people are coming and can have a few hours beforehand to get ready!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are doing the same thing at the moment with 5 kids in the house- I'm packing everything away and taping up boxes before little hands can pull things back out (toys they haven't touched in a year are suddenly hugely desirable when being packed away). No idea how it will work but we have given ourselves 2 weeks to get the house ready and we are only giving an agent 30 days to sell as I don't think I can stand living in a crazy show home style house with 5 kids for much longer than that

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't really know how I managed it looking back, when I was selling, I had a 5 yr old, a 3 yr old, and a 1yr old. (My ex had moved out, but my Dad was a big help)

Is it possible to leave shopping trips for when your dh can help you, or do you have someone to babysit for an hour or so to enable you to shop with a clear mind?
    As far as decluttering, yes, it drives you mad, but I managed to do it by separating my jobs into small bits which I can drop at a moments notice, then go back to whenever I could. Probably again, weekends or whenever you are both around to really get into a job, and get it done quickly.

Just try to focus on one thing at a time, otherwise it seems overwhelming.

All the best, you will manage it, you kind of get into a routine with it all in the end, especially when the RE agent rings and tells you there are buyers wanting to inspect in 20minutes!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is my life but not with a toddler but a baby

We are getting our house done so that it can be on the market for next week. We've had to completely redo the back garden.

I lost it on Monday and was in tears when I had the agent, scrap metal company, my husband and the bobcat driver ringing me while I was doing 2 trips to the hardware store as I could only fit so much in the car with ds's car seat then do normal stuff like food shopping!

The way I cope is by writing a big massive list of everything that's to be done. I then split it up into my jobs and DH's jobs. Then when it all gets to much I split it further into daily jobs (I like lists). That way rather than there being 25 things to be done, there's only 3 today iykwim? I find I even get more done so its not so overwhelming. Then I frantically try and do it while my DS sleeps, so I get 3 x 1-1/2 hour blocks to do things then I just do what I can while he's awake but he's 4 months and just wants to be held so its not much!

My other plan next week when doing final cleans is to get my 16 yr old niece to come and entertain him for me while I do what I need. Gotta love school holidays and she's grounded!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm in the same boat as you exactly! DH and I are the same in terms of wanting the place to look immaculate and clutter-free. We've been to a few open for inspections where the houses haven't been presented very well at all (I'm talking empty coke bottles left on bathroom sink, dirty floors, clutter all over benches, overgrown gardens) and I honestly find it really puts me off (even though DH says to look beyond that and see the house itself for what it is!)

But yes, I too am finding it quite hard to find time to declutter and do some of the bigger cleaning jobs that I really want to do (windows, skirting, walls and a general tidy up of several cupboards, shelves etc) I've started giving myself a job to do each night once DS is in bed but some nights I just can't be bothered and want to crash on the couch.

One thing I've thought about is maybe hiring a cleaner to come in a bit before inspection times to help me give the place a really thorough cleaning.

Also like a PP said, I'll probably get my parents/babysitter to take DS for a couple of hours each week just to give me a chance to get a few things done.

I think I'll end up running round like a crazy woman madly wiping off tiny sticky fingerprints and throwing toys, bits and pieces into a big bag about 30 minutes before open house times...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. Feel better now. It's school holidays, dh is away and has been *really* busy with work for the last month and the kids have been sick for 3 weeks. My MIL wants to have ds (6) for a couple of days these school holidays, but doesn't want to take dd and it's frustrating as I'd gladly have ds around without dd! But, I understand that taking a 21mo out for the day isn't much fun (she won't really be interested in the museum for example).

I've written myself a big long list of things to do and I feel like I've worked through lots of things that I can do with a toddler underfoot so I guess that's where the frustration lies.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll take a breather for a day or two and then get back into things when dh gets home.