+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Flat head

My 2 month old daughter has a flat spot on her left side. She was delivered by forceps and has favored this side ever since.

Her flat spot to me appears really bad however, the health nurse didn't seem to concerned.

I give her tummy time, she's had two osteo sessions with further sessions required. Once she's asleep I try up move her head to the other side however she just moves it back.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help this? I'm so worried about it. Does it eventually fix itself?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi May Baby,

My DD had something similar and didn't like to turn her head one way due to torticollis, which is tightening and shortening of the muscles on one side.

I spoke to our paediatrician about it and was referred to a physio for exercises to stretch and lengthen the muscle on the affected side and it helped a lot.

My point is, even though health nurses are a wonderful source of information and most cases of a 'flat head' do fix themselves, I would be asking a paediatrician for another opinion just in case. If your DD does need more treatment, the sooner you get onto it the better.

Trust your instincts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Scarlet Starlet For This Useful Post:

May baby  (04-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies! I'm so scared its going to get worse

I really need to get her back to the osteo or maybe I should try physio

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has the same but on the right side. The MCHN told me to sleep her on her side whenever I was in the room with her (obviously flat on back at night for SIDS reasons). She also told me to football hold feed her on my left boob (it'd be the right boob for you). Move her bassinet so that the wimdow/light/tv is to the opposite side that she turns her head. I also used to lay my baby on her back and just turn her head to feed her when feeding from my right boob. This got her turning head to the left, which she would otherwise not do. Attach as normal and then rotate the body. She's nearly 12 weeks now and it's improving slowly. I've stopped sleeping her on her side now, as it makes me nervous, but she turns her head both ways when sleeping now. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Starlet View Post
    Hi May Baby,

My DD had something similar and didn't like to turn her head one way due to torticollis, which is tightening and shortening of the muscles on one side.

I spoke to our paediatrician about it and was referred to a physio for exercises to stretch and lengthen the muscle on the affected side and it helped a lot.

My point is, even though health nurses are a wonderful source of information and most cases of a 'flat head' do fix themselves, I would be asking a paediatrician for another opinion just in case. If your DD does need more treatment, the sooner you get onto it the better.

Trust your instincts
    This is what happened with DD1. The physio basically recommended turning her head to the side that she never turned. It was a couple of weeks of screaming but at the end she had free movement in her neck. After that the issue of her head being flat fixed itself. Can she turn her head of her own accord? It would be best to seek the help of a physiotherapist.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If your DD is in a bassinet, turn the bassinet around. Babies generally turn their head to the center of the room when they are flat on their backs, even when they cant see the center of the room....so by turning the bassinet, she will turn her head the other way to have it facing the center of the room.
    Worked for us.
    We also (like PP said) sleep her on her non-favoured side.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

May baby  (04-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Chiro

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by quietlyhopeful View Post
    My DD has the same but on the right side. The MCHN told me to sleep her on her side whenever I was in the room with her (obviously flat on back at night for SIDS reasons). She also told me to football hold feed her on my left boob (it'd be the right boob for you). Move her bassinet so that the wimdow/light/tv is to the opposite side that she turns her head. I also used to lay my baby on her back and just turn her head to feed her when feeding from my right boob. This got her turning head to the left, which she would otherwise not do. Attach as normal and then rotate the body. She's nearly 12 weeks now and it's improving slowly. I've stopped sleeping her on her side now, as it makes me nervous, but she turns her head both ways when sleeping now. Good luck!
    Good idea with the feeding but I don't breast feed. I might try her on her side during the day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    If your DD is in a bassinet, turn the bassinet around. Babies generally turn their head to the center of the room when they are flat on their backs, even when they cant see the center of the room....so by turning the bassinet, she will turn her head the other way to have it facing the center of the room.
    Worked for us.
    We also (like PP said) sleep her on her non-favoured side.
    Thanks for these hints! I have just moved the bassinet around to see if it works

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvana View Post
    This is what happened with DD1. The physio basically recommended turning her head to the side that she never turned. It was a couple of weeks of screaming but at the end she had free movement in her neck. After that the issue of her head being flat fixed itself. Can she turn her head of her own accord? It would be best to seek the help of a physiotherapist.
    She is quite stiff on the opposite side, the osteo is slowly helping. I try to move her head when she's sleeping but she just puts it back.

She can move it on her own accord but jot often.