+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Children need to learn how to behave in public and we, as parents, need to learn (usually by experience) how to manage their bad behaviour in public too. I'm a big believer in consistency, so whatever we do at home to manage bad behaviour should be done in public (where possible). I've put my ds (age 6) in timeout multiple times when we are out and if the behaviour isn't quite that bad he just goes & sits down within a metre or two of me if I'm busy (eg. at the checkout).

As for my dd if I stayed home/near the car in case she cried or threw a tantrum I'd never get out. She screamed multiple times in the trolley at Bunnings yesterday when I took her there to get LOTS of things ... all she wanted to do was play on the playground. I tried my best to get all the things I came for and then left. It's hard to get out as it is, I can't let her stop me just cause she is feeling grumpy (she did get a short play on the playground though).

As for people looking at you, try your best to ignore them. They may have been frowning at your child and not at you anyway ... it's going to be hard to tell. All the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My trick is that I don't make eye contact with strangers. If you don't know they're staring it can't bother you!

I keep my cool and confidently walk out, have never had a problem. If people are staring I wouldn't know, I'm not looking around to see who's looking!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

grumpybump  (04-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    My DS2 has sensory processing disorder so we've had many a meltdowns in the shops. The looks and comments I have gotten have been awful in the past, ive grown a very thick skin - now if anyone dares comment on it and I hear them I generally say something along the lines of "at least he has a reason for his behaviour, whats your excuse" or I loudly explain to my son that I know he isnt coping and to ignore the people staring because they dont understand and are being rude. (One of my sons triggers are people staring at him/strangers talking to or touching him)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peanutmonkey For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (04-07-2013),LoveLivesHere  (04-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Once when my now almost 4 year old was about 18 months or so he wouldn't sit in his pram, but I had to have him in there cos I had the other kids with me and a whole heap of shopping. Well he threw a huge tantrum, arched his back and all that. I kept trying to sit him in the pram (it was actually just one of those cheap strollers you get for $20 from Kmart) the damn thing kept tipping. I was getting really frsutrated. A whole heap of people kept walking past and just staring, nobody bothered to stop and see if I needed any help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    What do I think? I think there but for the grace of God go I! We've all been there.

I couldn't care less if a stranger judges my tantrumming child. I care about enforcing consistent rules & consequences so he learns. I make DS1 sit down on the floor & I wait it out, then I get down to his level & we talk it through.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had one of those judgy mcjudges comment on me holding ds's hand. He was having a tanty because he didnt want to walk any further (he'll be 4 in November) we were near a road and I told him to stop the carry on and hold my hand, which involved more tanty. Then a woman walking past said "why do you have to hold his hand? He's not running away or anything".

At first I thought she was joking, then realized no she felt the need to comment. I was dumbfounded...it still baffles me that someone felt the need to ask me why i was making my on hold my hand

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mmy2b For This Useful Post:

mummtime101  (04-07-2013)