+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default self settling between sleep cycles?

My ds who is 6mths old, self settles to sleep every time, day and night without fail. He sleeps thru the night 7-7am. But he wakes after 30-40mins during his day sleeps and wont self settle back to sleep. I leave him to grizzle for 10 mins when he wakes to see if he will go back, he never does so then get him up and keep him up untill he is due for nis next nap. we usually go for a walk in stroller but he still wont go off to slep even then.
    This morning it took him 30 mins to go off to sleep, then he woke after only 15mins. He needs more sleep he is so grumpy and just cries all day because he's so tired!
    This is a typical day for him
    7am wake and milk feed
    8am solids - baby cereal and some pears
    9am sleep
    11am milk feed
    12am lunch - usually munches on some brocccoli
    1pm sleep
    3pm milk feed
    4.30pm nap but usually falls asleep in stroller as we go for a walk.
    5pm solids - usually a vege of DD's plate
    6pm - pj's top top to toe wash/bath
    6.30pm milk feed
    7pm sleep.

What should i do to encourage longer sleep for his 2 day sleeps?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm working on this at the moment...sometimes she settles between naps and sometimes not, my bub is 4 months. If she has all short naps I just put her down for more naps, so all up she will have 4-5 naps from 8am-8pm. I have figured out she needs 14 hours sleep give or take half hour each side and I just try my best to get her this in a 24 hour period. I hate the short naps!

When I have left her to resettle it takes at least 15 minutes if she is grizzling.

Other people have had success with pat and shhh but if I go in she is instantly awake and wants to get up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Sent from my iPhone using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Catnapping was normal for both my sons around that age. After 40-50min they were wide away. I gave up trying to resettle. After around 8m or so they naturally stretched out their sleep.
    Ds1 began sleeping 1.5hrs x 2 times per day then from 12m one 3 hr sleep.

Ds2 similar, but he dropped to one 2-2.5 hr sleep from around 10/11m

I think after 8m+ they are moving more (start trying to roll, crawl etc) so more physically tired for a longer sleep!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my DDs have been catnappers. DD1 grew out of it around 8 months when she started having one longer sleep in the morning (1.5-2.5 hours) then a 30-40 minute nap in the afternoon, sometimes 1 hr. DD2 is 5.5 months and does 3x30-40 min naps a day unless I force her to feed to sleep on me when she wakes from her midday nap (I can usually get another hour or so out of her if I do this), although she sometimes randomly pulls a 1.5 hour nap out of nowhere for a few days, just long enough to get my hopes up, then goes back to catnaps. Kills me lol. I'm just riding with it. She'll eventually sleep longer. Count yourself lucky you're getting 12 hours straight at night!