+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like they have a close relationship - why does this bother you? I still love doing things with my mum and I'm very lucky we are close. She doesn't pack my bags or anything like that but if they are happy what's the deal?

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds like a caring mother if you ask me.

I actually can't see the problem with it if the daughter is fine with it.

What's the issue with Disney movies? I doubt her daughter would be going if she didn't want to. It sounds like they have a great relationship

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think she is just enjoying her daughter and obviously they are close! I don't think she is treating her like a child but rather letting her daughter know she is always going to be there for her and being a big part in her life. I think it's lovely that she shows so much interest in her and puts aside/dedicates so much time for her. If she lives by herself she is clearly mature and living her own life so therefore mum just wants to be involved in as much as possible

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    All are Ok by me except for 1 and 2. A parent doing those things for their 23 year old child is just weird...

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's my horrified face!!
    Ill say the Disney movies is sweet, they obviously have a close bond and having a 'tradition' which might be carried out to grand kids and so on is nice.
    BUT 23 years old I was living on my own in another continent (had been for 5 yrs) in my culture unless you get married people stay at home with their parents so I was a bit out of the box leaving at 18 for a different country on my own but I was mature and relatively ready for that step.
    SO ya I think your sister is definitely babying her daughter! A LOT!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like a close relationship, I don't think any of those things are babying. Is the girl mature? She is your niece so guessing you know her well.

I generally think we want kids to grow up and be independent too soon. The realities of adult life come soon enough so I see nothing wrong with packing a bag for my 23yo. Some people are just good at packing (I'm hopeless).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was so close to my mum .. I would give anything for her to be doing those things for me even now at 33 ... My mum died when I was 21 ...
    Nothing wrong in what she is doing if the daughter doesn't mind ... Make the most of your mum !!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think she's treating her like a child, because she's obviously not having moved out & travelled overseas. But they have a close relationship, sounds similar to my mum & I. If we were going out to dinner, she would call up about allergies - which to me is considerate.

I had a job interview yesterday and I fix ask mums advice about what to wear ( though wore the opposite! Lol!).

It's easy to judge people's relationships when pointing out single activities, overall I'm sure they have a balanced relationship. My mum & I are extremely close, and do some similar things (not all of the ones you mentioned). Yet I was well moved out of home at 23, was engaged and moved interstate at 24.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The fact that your sister thinks it's 'mature' that her daughter is saving for an os trip clinches it for me. Saving for an os trip is not in any way shape or form exceptionally mature behaviour for a 23 year old. That your sister brags how 'mature' she is because of it tells me that neither of them are particularly mature.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think your sister sounds like a very loving, nuturing, caring mother.

But...

I think a lot of the things she is doing for her daughter are things her daughter should be doing for herself. And the 23 year old should be wanting to do these things for herself too.

I see no issue with them going to see Disney movies and have breakfast - that's a sweet outing for a mum and daughter.

I have been really independant from a young age. My mother is more the type who will happily help if asked, but does not force her way into my life by trying to do things for me that I am capable of doing myself.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (03-07-2013)