+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    An I missing something in the lyrics?? Because I don't read assault, I just read vulgar. He even speaks of her grabbing him, so that's pretty consensual to me?

I love the beat to this song though, I admit!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (04-07-2013),callmedragon22  (03-07-2013),peanutmonkey  (03-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    A few ex mods were having this very discussion on fb yesterday (and current ones too, I guess I should point out!). One who I consider to be very knowledgable on feminism and right up there for women's advocacy had a very interesting POV on this song and I wish she were still on bh so she could write it here. I may ask her permission to repost what she wrote on fb yesterday, but she basically saw it as the exact opposite as it was being made out to be. I can't even begin to put it in a logical way such as she did, so I will definitely ask her permission to repost!

As for the previous poster who quoted the chorus to pink's true love, I don't see that as degrading at all. Honestly, haven't we all felt that way about our OH's at all? Sometimes my dp drives me absolutely crazy and I can't stand the sight of him- doesn't mean I love him any less! I wouldn't want to be with anyone else... But it's often the people who are closest to us are the ones who are so good at pushing our buttons!
    I personally have nothing against the song, but a few of my hardcore feminist friends do, hence why I said if you wanted to nitpick :P

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    The singer himself admits to being derogatory towards women:

We tried to do everything that was taboo. Bestiality, drug injections, and everything that is completely derogatory towards women. Because all three of us are happily married with children, we were like, “We’re the perfect guys to make fun of this.” People say, “Hey, do you think this is degrading to women?” I’m like, “Of course it is. What a pleasure it is to degrade a woman. I’ve never gotten to do that before. I’ve always respected women.”

Referring to women as a b"tch and an animial is horrible
    You the hottest b*tch in this place...
    But you’re an animal

With my foresight b*tch you pay me by
    Nothing like your last guy, he too square for you
    He don’t smack that a** and pull your hair like that

Nice!!

Anyway, we could probably go back and forth on this for days. Great to see everyone's opinion
    Lol that sounds to me like a whole lot of sarcasm to me.

And I don't see what's wrong with bum smacking and hair pulling during? It's pretty normal for quite a lot of people, it's hardly degrading. If it was unwarranted, then that would be different. It's a song about rough sex!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by callmedragon22 View Post
    I personally have nothing against the song, but a few of my hardcore feminist friends do, hence why I said if you wanted to nitpick :P
    All good

Ahh Jaq, you knew you couldn't keep away!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jaq View Post
    So, hello Hubbers. Thought I'd add some clarification in person ... I failed to stay away, Noms!

Firstly, I was reacting primarily to Mia Freedman's accusation that the song is rapey. But if you read the lyrics, the song is all about a man trying to persuade a girl to cheat on her husband - persuade her, not force her. In several places the power in the scenario is explicitly placed in her hands - "go ahead, get at me", "I feel so lucky you want to hug me" ... "look me up when you pass through", and "wait for you to salute" ... there is absolutely no suggestion of anything that is against her will. (Except, possibly, for "gonna take a good girl". Which could mean take home, take to bed, take on ... anything.)

When the woman in question is having her right to say no respected, then I'm happy. Yes, it's sexually explicit and some of the language is jarring, but that's not rapey. Anything that makes the need for consent explicit is actually a feminist statement, to me. Because the alternative are all the songs about stalking and keeping women in their place and making them take it etc etc etc.

As to the language being disrespectful and treating the woman as an animal ... meh. It's not my language, it's not yours, and personally I love the word *****, but I hate the way it's used in rap music and to commodify women. But I have also seen long and complex discussions about the use of "*****" in Afro-American culture and how while it can be used disrespectfully, it is not automatically a term of disrespect. As a white woman living on the other side of the world, I don't really feel qualified to pass judgement on someone else's culture.

Comparing women to animals? Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Women ARE animals. So are men. It's far from new to compare our sexual selves to animals - it's one of our oldest cultural standard. The value judgement only comes into play if anyone dares to suggest it's a bad thing ... why shouldn't women be able to enjoy the more base sides of our nature? There is a lot of interesting reading you can do about sexuality and why we are drawn to certain sex acts and fantasy scenarios that will, in fact, reveal we live much closer to our animal selves than most people are willing to admit.

So does the eroticism of the song bother me? No. He's singing about anal sex. Some people are into that. Some people like having their hair pulled. Some people like to be slapped around during sex. I don't have a need to judge anyone for that ... and nor does he, because he thinks she is sick of being a "good girl" who is socially excluded from being allowed to WANT those things.

Only "bad girls" want those things ... and the singer is trying to entice her to say yes, and admit that good girls DO want the sorts of things he's singing about ... "I hate these blurred lines, I know you want it, I hate these lines ..."

Actually, there is one thing I REALLY don't like about this song, that does actually cloud the issue of consent a little. They're getting high together. That doesn't make for solid, iron-clad consent, Robin *wags finger*

(Do I think this song is suitable for kids to listen to in the car ... uh, no. Do I think he was a suitable choice for family entertainment, no. Do I think it's about rape? NO!)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsBid For This Useful Post:

jaq  (03-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This song disgusts me...

A lot of the music industry disgusts me.

I gave up watching music videos a long time ago...sick of the gyrating girls.

I can't see how people don't get how degrading much if it is to women. It's right there in your face.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Robin Thicke is hott, i would let him pull my hair

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoppyLoppy For This Useful Post:

callmedragon22  (03-07-2013),F&A  (03-07-2013),MrsBid  (03-07-2013)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post
    I can't take the song seriously ever since I saw the Jules Lund and Sophie Monk parody.

All pop songs are like this - Rihanna, Gaga, Pink, Katy Perry etc and that's just the female degrading songs coming from the FEMALE artists.

I prefer to listen to music along the lines of Adele, Florence + the Machine, Bastille, Mumford and Sons, Coldplay etc. Sounds like real music as well.
    PINK ??? Degrading to women have you even listened to the words for goodness sake she is a massive advocate for women. I can't see how you could possible think she is degrading women ????

Her song you and your hand for example bloody awesome
    Im not here for your entertainment. Says it all.

sure the song stupid girls could be seen as offensive to some but it was about women being them selfs not feeling the need to fake boobs, fake hair and fake nails etc

like her or don't like her wht ever but to day she is degrading to women that is laughable

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

mama and her little bearxxx  (03-07-2013),MrsBid  (03-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere View Post
    PINK ??? Degrading to women have you even listened to the words for goodness sake she is a massive advocate for women. I can't see how you could possible think she is degrading women ????

Her song you and your hand for example bloody awesome
    Im not here for your entertainment. Says it all.

sure the song stupid girls could be seen as offensive to some but it was about women being them selfs not feeling the need to fake boobs, fake hair and fake nails etc

like her or don't like her wht ever but to day she is degrading to women that is laughable
    A quote from her concert the other night 'Im a really big advocate of women feeling sexy and being proud to show their bodies, but that shouldnt come with a price tag of dumb' i loooooooooove her sooooooo much

And shes not saying being dumb is bad for those who want to jump on that. Shes meaning women who dumb themselves down to get somewhere in life.
    Last edited by MrsBid; 03-07-2013 at 19:12.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsBid For This Useful Post:

callmedragon22  (03-07-2013)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBid View Post
    A quote from her concert the other night 'Im a really big advocate of women feeling sexy and being proud to show their bodies, but that shouldnt come with a price tag of dumb' i loooooooooove her sooooooo much

And shes not saying being dumb is bad for those who want to jump on that. Shes meaning women who dumb themselves down to get somewhere in life.
    That's lovely and so very true, I think she is fab she is hot, she is strong, she is smart she is a great mum how is that against women lol