+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    That's not about sexual assault, he's alluding to the fact he has a giant package.

I've always taken this song more as a "there's a good girl in the club, she's in to me, I'm in to her, she's driving me wild" with a bit of "she's a good girl, but like's to get a little freaky" too.

I think people are reading too much in to it. But hey, that's music it can be whatever you want it to be.
    That's exactly how I heard it as well. Not 'I'm going to give it to you whether you like it or not' more your 'acting coy but I can tell you wanna freak with me'

I saw this thread it was about sexual assault and I went and looked at the lyrics as I obviously thought I must have misheard them but no still didn't change my opinion.

Someone mentioned grease - doesn't grease lightning contain the term 'she's a real p***y wagon?' That's not exactly liberating but I listened to that song from 4 years of age - I don't feel I was degraded.

Also there's a ub40 song gonna from the early 90'smake you sweat which has the line 'and if you cry I'm gonna push it some more' um that kinda sounds more like assault than blurred lines and the ub40 song is still on main****** airwaves.

I kinda feel like songs aren't getting worse - people are getting more sensitive.

Yes the film clip is a bit OTT but that's why these sort of things get rated. It's obviously not meant for young boys and girls to view. Parents discretion.

Just my 2c anyway.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (03-07-2013),MrsOhara  (03-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Interesting to hear everyone's thoughts, I agree, I listened to all types of music growing up and Im fine too!

My point is, do you think it's ok to speak about women in this way?, in my opinion it's not. Perhaps Im in the minority.

Im a feminist too (not sure what that's got to do with it?!) but I feel our culture needs to change. Especially in light of yet another assault on a women only days ago.

Of course it's up to us as parents to educate and talk to our kids about these songs when questions arise.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

beebs  (03-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree with you. I don't think it is appropriate. But I also just don't get it. I don't get video clips these days either. Where has the real talent gone? You just have these boring drones, dressed in skimpy clothes singing crap songs that were written (most of the time) by someone else.

I mean, these people are hardly Aretha Franklin or Cat Stevens, or any of hte countless people from back then who actually had to be able to sing. I don't get it at all

And don't get me wrong - I love some modern music, but main****** top 40 is ain't

Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    Interesting to hear everyone's thoughts, I agree, I listened to all types of music growing up and Im fine too!

My point is, do you think it's ok to speak about women in this way?, in my opinion it's not. Perhaps Im in the minority.

Im a feminist too (not sure what that's got to do with it?!) but I feel our culture needs to change. Especially in light of yet another assault on a women only days ago.

Of course it's up to us as parents to educate and talk to our kids about these songs when questions arise.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post

My point was, the woman in question who offered up the opinion that it is actually a song in favour of feminism would have been the last person on Earth I would have guessed to put forward that opinion...

I'm still waiting to hear back from her whether or not I can quote her in this thread- I hope she says I can, because it's thought provoking stuff.

And I'm nitpicking here, but Meld85- Inner Circle, not UB40 (sorry, was annoying me )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I didn't know what song it was that you were talking about, so I just looked it up on Youtube. Apart from being sexist, it is actually really crap. It isn't even a good tune or anything. There are some completely inappropriate songs that I just can't help liking because the tune is good - like Snoop dog and Justin Timerlake Signs -which is all about drug use. But it has a great tunes and it 70s tastic. I love it, can't help it.

But that song is crap OP - how did it even make number one??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    She sounds like a 3rd wave feminist. Whereas I still identify as a 2nd wave feminist. Not all feminists believe the same things, at all

Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post
    My point was, the woman in question who offered up the opinion that it is actually a song in favour of feminism would have been the last person on Earth I would have guessed to put forward that opinion...

I'm still waiting to hear back from her whether or not I can quote her in this thread- I hope she says I can, because it's thought provoking stuff.

And I'm nitpicking here, but Meld85- Inner Circle, not UB40 (sorry, was annoying me )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post

Thanks for clearing that up, I thought you were saying that because she was a feminist that her opinion meant more than anyone else!

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Ok, this is a direct quote from an old BH member and ex-mod, Jaq. Anyone who remembers who she is, may understand why I was actually surprised to see this was her view on the song.

I actually love this song and can make a perfectly sound feminist reading of the lyrics. Mia Freedman needs to be taken to task for seeing rape lyrics where there are none - there is a huge amount of misogynistic, rapey music out there, but this song isn't. The Blurred Lines being talked about - the way I see it - are the ones society draws between "good girls" and "bad girls" and the fact that the former aren't supposed to enjoy rough sex (or be seen as sexual beings at all.) This is actually incredibly pro woman - explicitly asking for consent, if you read the lyrics - but Australian feminism has a real problem with being sex positive and this sort of misanalysis (from Freedman) really doesn't help.
    Quoted with her permission.

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (03-07-2013),ElleB  (03-07-2013),Mod-RaryGirl  (03-07-2013),MonsterMoosMum  (03-07-2013),MrsBid  (03-07-2013),MrsOhara  (03-07-2013),peanutmonkey  (03-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I do remember that member. Glad you could quote that.

I think I'm going to do some more thinking.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dancingchipmunk For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (03-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Whiles I respect Jaq's opinion. I still disagree, why does a woman have to be likened to an animal? Why does a woman have to be bad or good? Why can't she just be a person? And this line "You the hottest ***** in this place". Yeah, nup - that is sexist. To refer to a woman as a ***** - even if it is meant to be in a "nice" way?? Seems he likes to refer to her as "*****" a lot. Not cool.