+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ElleB View Post
    Yep I am well aware of the lyrics. My 15 month old hears "shaking it for daddy" and wiggles her bum. When they say "drop it to the beat" she plonks herself on the floor.

Just like she shakes her bum when she hears Ricky Martin's shake ya bonbon...

Perspective.
    I'm not sure whose point you're attempting to prove....
    What about the perspective of a person who would gain sexual satisfaction by seeing a baby do those moves.
    I just don't understand why you would be accepting, let alone pleased to have your child exposed to such thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Urgh Mia Freedman, that whole website has just turned to ****.

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I can't find the post where the link was removed, but reading the rules is always a good start when members want to know why posts are edited....
    Here's a snippet of the area regarding links:
    Minor infringements
    We respectfully request that members don’t include the following in posts or personal messages•links to:
    o websites which could be considered competitor websites to Bubhub
    And here's a link to the bubhub rules
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 04-07-2013 at 02:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DaenerysT View Post
    I'm not sure whose point you're attempting to prove....
    What about the perspective of a person who would gain sexual satisfaction by seeing a baby do those moves.
    I just don't understand why you would be accepting, let alone pleased to have your child exposed to such thing.
    Hey now my kidlets shake their bums to lmfao sexy & I know it. I don't see anything sinister in it they are 2 and 4 and dancing to music. Let them dance, if some sicko gets turned on by littlies dancing to music then its then that have the deep issue that needs solving IMO

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MonsterMoosMum For This Useful Post:

F&A  (04-07-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (04-07-2013),snowqu33n  (04-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjalee View Post
    That's not about sexual assault, he's alluding to the fact he has a giant package.

I've always taken this song more as a "there's a good girl in the club, she's in to me, I'm in to her, she's driving me wild" with a bit of "she's a good girl, but like's to get a little freaky" too.

I think people are reading too much in to it. But hey, that's music it can be whatever you want it to be.
    Totally! I find it strange that people actually think this song is about sexual assault! I love the song and know all the words but after reading this post, I went back and read the lyrics again.... And still can't find anything referring to sexual assault. "I'll give you something big enough to tear your *** in two" clearly refers to him having a large penis". No different to one of the first lines in the recent hit "Thrift Shop" "i walk into the club like what up i got a big ****..." Men aren't the only ones who like sex and a good girl can very much want it! And don't forget these kind of men, just like any celebrity, sportsmen etc have questionable women throwing themselves at them on a daily basis.... No wonder they write songs like this! As others have said, songs by women are just as bad, if not worse but it's always men who cop it or get referred to as 'rapey'!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm I too am confused as to where rape or sexual assault is indicated in those lyrics?! It's been a number one hit for so many weeks that it obviously has a lot of listeners. That's the thing about music, you either like it or you don't!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jaq View Post
    So, hello Hubbers. Thought I'd add some clarification in person ... I failed to stay away, Noms!

Firstly, I was reacting primarily to Mia Freedman's accusation that the song is rapey. But if you read the lyrics, the song is all about a man trying to persuade a girl to cheat on her husband - persuade her, not force her. In several places the power in the scenario is explicitly placed in her hands - "go ahead, get at me", "I feel so lucky you want to hug me" ... "look me up when you pass through", and "wait for you to salute" ... there is absolutely no suggestion of anything that is against her will. (Except, possibly, for "gonna take a good girl". Which could mean take home, take to bed, take on ... anything.)

When the woman in question is having her right to say no respected, then I'm happy. Yes, it's sexually explicit and some of the language is jarring, but that's not rapey. Anything that makes the need for consent explicit is actually a feminist statement, to me. Because the alternative are all the songs about stalking and keeping women in their place and making them take it etc etc etc.

As to the language being disrespectful and treating the woman as an animal ... meh. It's not my language, it's not yours, and personally I love the word *****, but I hate the way it's used in rap music and to commodify women. But I have also seen long and complex discussions about the use of "*****" in Afro-American culture and how while it can be used disrespectfully, it is not automatically a term of disrespect. As a white woman living on the other side of the world, I don't really feel qualified to pass judgement on someone else's culture.

Comparing women to animals? Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Women ARE animals. So are men. It's far from new to compare our sexual selves to animals - it's one of our oldest cultural standard. The value judgement only comes into play if anyone dares to suggest it's a bad thing ... why shouldn't women be able to enjoy the more base sides of our nature? There is a lot of interesting reading you can do about sexuality and why we are drawn to certain sex acts and fantasy scenarios that will, in fact, reveal we live much closer to our animal selves than most people are willing to admit.

So does the eroticism of the song bother me? No. He's singing about anal sex. Some people are into that. Some people like having their hair pulled. Some people like to be slapped around during sex. I don't have a need to judge anyone for that ... and nor does he, because he thinks she is sick of being a "good girl" who is socially excluded from being allowed to WANT those things.

Only "bad girls" want those things ... and the singer is trying to entice her to say yes, and admit that good girls DO want the sorts of things he's singing about ... "I hate these blurred lines, I know you want it, I hate these lines ..."

Actually, there is one thing I REALLY don't like about this song, that does actually cloud the issue of consent a little. They're getting high together. That doesn't make for solid, iron-clad consent, Robin *wags finger*

(Do I think this song is suitable for kids to listen to in the car ... uh, no. Do I think he was a suitable choice for family entertainment, no. Do I think it's about rape? NO!)
    I am inclined to agree its not necessarily 'rapey', but do you think that when you pair together getting high, and a man 'enticing' a woman to engage in sexual activities, that could possibly be 'blurring the lines' of consent?

And when you pair the song together with the film clip of women parading around half naked, I can't think it is possibly pro-woman.

I dunno, I haven't actually really studied it, I just had a quick read of the lyrics, and I haven't read Mia Freedman's take on it, but I dunno, most of the words just don't sit right with me, "I know you want it", "the way you grab me, must wanna get nasty", to me- grabbing a man doesn't necessarily mean I DO wanna get nasty iykwim, he's just making so many assumptions about what a woman does and doesn't want, so while I don't necessarily think its about rape, it doesn't sit right with me.

I think the term 'blurred lines' is about the blurred lines between good/bad girl rather than consent (I am actually someone who thinks there can be blurred lines when it comes to consent, well, not consent but I think there can be misunderstandings, and I know this is not a popular view to have), and I also think when he says 'animal' he's not degrading women, hes talking about that animalistic, primitive sexual beings that all human are/can be. And the 'split your a$$ in two' line I think is just him being full of himself, but its a violent image I don't think needs to be associated with sex- which IMO should be a loving act, not a violent one (I don't think hair pulling etc is violent, but splitting someone in two- that IS violent!).

JMO.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

haveheart  (05-07-2013)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Regardless of how the lyrics are interpreted - I agree with Annabella - to me, the filmclip says it all. Especially since it was first put out with topless (not just scantily clad women).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sleazy? Kinky? - yep.

Rapey? - Nope.

ETA> Crap song? - yep
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 04-07-2013 at 12:34.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

beebs  (04-07-2013),haveheart  (05-07-2013),SassyMummy  (04-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    Do you have any examples of women degrading women? I can't think of any that come to mind? Im not a huge fan of these genres of music but my impression of people such as Pink and Katie Perry were the opposite. It would be a huge shame to hear orthereise.
    I usually feel the same way about pink but her new song true love is about having an awful relationship but it must be true love to hate each other that much. I usually love pink but hate that song sends such a bad example. If your in a bad relationship that isn't true love.

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app