+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Settling to sleep at day care

DS 10 months is about to start day care and I'm wondering what your experiences have been with babies this age sleeping at day care. DS is not a good day sleeper - can be very difficult to get to sleep and then only cat naps. I have been working on getting him to self settle at home and it's going fairly well but I'm worried that all my hard work might go out the window if they rock or pat him to sleep at day care. He actually settles much better if I put him down and walk out than if I stay with him, but there's usually some yelling for a minute or two before he goes to sleep. Will they tolerate that at day care?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep. They will tolerate that...much easier than having to put him to sleep...the call outs will be fine too...the staff will be familiar.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes definitely. Explain your concerns to the staff and that you really want to promote self settling and they should gladly leave him to settle. However be prepared for it take a few weeks for him to easily settle by himself at care

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    They should be fine as long as he settles reasonably quickly. The centre my kids go to will resort to rocking if DS2 won't settle quickly but that's more to stop him disturbing the other kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great news, I had assumed that they would not like to let him holler with all the other kids in close quarters.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Our daycare don't let kids self settle as there is no separate sleep room so they would wake the others. They cuddle or rock to sleep which I prefer anyway.

My DS sounds very similar to you. Awful day sleeper! However after a week or so he was sleeping better there than at home! I figure its because he gets more worn out.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (03-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The other thing is even if he is being assisted to sleep at daycare it probably won't make a difference at home. My daughter gets patted to sleep at daycare sometimes if she's being stubborn but it's never affected her sleep pattern at home. They soon learn different sets of rules for the 2 environments