+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice needed from exercise buffs.

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone could help, before I go spending a fortune on a gym membership? What do you think would be more beneficial to losing a fairly small amount of weight (say 5kg) and toning up/getting fit? 1. Buying a gym membership and doing my own thing for say an hour 3 days a week, or 2. Doing something like 1 personal training session a week + 1 boot camp or something similar? What do you think gives you better results for your money??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd get a gym membership but at a gym that offers classes, pump, step, Pilates are all great and you're inclined to go more I think

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SummerFun For This Useful Post:

Star Light  (02-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerFun View Post
    I'd get a gym membership but at a gym that offers classes, pump, step, Pilates are all great and you're inclined to go more I think
    Yep I totally second this! Classes are such a great way to do it. More fun, you're more inclinded to go and they work fast!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

Star Light  (02-07-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think whatever you're most likely to enjoy and stick to is going to get the best results. There's no point losing the last 5kg and getting fit if at the end of it you go back to the way you lived before. So whichever you think you can stick to forever, go with that. It'll probably take trying a few different things out before you hit on what works for you. So I would probably pick one and do it for 3 months then see how you feel. If you love it keep going, if not try the other.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Star Light  (02-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gym membership would be more cost efficient, however you have to push yourself and make sure you go.

I think you would get better results from a PT plus bootcamp.
    PT will push you further than you would ever push yourself, and they will use a range of differing exercises so your body doesn't get used to a particular routine. A gym with classes is great, but you need to be able to make the class times and have to factor in if you need child care/crèche during those hours.
    PT is an appt, so you are more obliged to go.

Another option would be a PT and then do running or similar around your neighborhood. I am using an app called ease into 5 km which teaches you to run 5km in 10 weeks.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

Star Light  (02-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou all for your replies I think I will go the gym membership. I completely forgot that I could make use of the classes, duh!!!! (Even though I'm so unco that it's embarrassing ). I was a regular at the gym before I had my second son plus I also did a personal training session once a week, but unfortunately money wise I just can't do this now... I know a PT would push me more though - maybe I could just throw in a session every once and a while to give me some idea of what I should be doing.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Lots of gyms throw in a free consultation every 6 weeks or so. So you can get a fitness test, talk through your goals etc and they will put you together a program. Then after 6 weeks you do it all again to see your progress and tweak the program. Lots of gyms also offer PT at a reduced rate for members, so gym is probably the way to go if you wanted a bit of both.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Star Light  (03-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another option is to look at Michelle bridges 12wbt
    I did it and it transformed how I looked at exercise. Got me into a great head space.
    She has options for home, outside or gym so you can juggle it around.
    Costs $200
    Includes meal plans (food is great but I did find the protein portions a but skimpy), exercise plans, forums and motivational videos from Michelle, plus a couple of live chat sessions.
    She has programs for learning to run, weight loss and also advanced lean and strong for people who only have about 5 kg to lose.
    I would highly recommend it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

Star Light  (03-07-2013)