+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Baby screams and refuses to latch

I'm sure I've posted about this before but I'm having problems again and can't remember what was said before.

My daughter is 4 months old and for the last couple of days screams her head off any time I try to feed her. As soon as her mouth touches my breast she throws her head back and screams and screams. Sometimes I can bounce her around and walk and sing and her mouth bumping my nipple stimulates a let down (or sometimes I'll hand express until I feel the letdown), but sometimes even when milk is dripping out she just will not latch and continues crying. I've been having to express and bottle feed her and by the time I've expressed a tiny amount (40mL or so), she's screaming and bright red so I bottle feed her and she guzzles it down without a fuss. I've been making a really conscious effort to take a deep breath and relax before lifting her up to my breast so she doesn't pick up on any negativity I'm feeling but it still doesn't help. Now that I think of it, she's been really fussy at the breast for about the last 2-3 weeks but it has really come to a head over the last couple of days.

I just don't know what to do anymore :-(

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My boys used to do this when they were teething, the sucking hurt their gums.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She's happy to chew and suck on my finger though, and I know drinking from a bottle is easier than the breast but wouldn't sucking on that hurt too?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Google breast feeding strike. My son did the exact same thing at the exact same age for no perceptible reason I could see.
    Because I wanted to keep bf, we reverted to lots of skin on skin time, feeding in the bath also worked well and feeding while he was asleep.

Lasted about 5 days and then we were back to normal.

A lot of mums think baby is self weaning but if they're younger than one this is not normally the case.

Hope that helps a bit.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lewbaby For This Useful Post:

becandabub  (04-07-2013),MilkingMaid  (02-07-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (03-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Jumping in the bath can be a great way to encourage bub to feed, just try to relax with no pressure to feed. Wearing bub can also help to stimulate the hormones for both of you.

Give the ABA a call if you want some more ideas 1800 686 268

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just had a bath with her but she seemed a bit freaked out by the huge amount of water, even though it was only up to my waist. I tried to get her to feed but I think the big change in environment was too distracting and I still couldn't get her to latch on.

I think I'll have to give the ABA a call tonight... Thanks for your responses :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How did you go through the night and this morning? DS did this for a couple days and it had me so upset but within a couple days he was fine again.

Hope the ABA managed to give you some more tips that helped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She had one breastfeed before bed and did well, then 2 through the night and one when she woke up this morning, now she's screaming and won't eat or sleep. I did some reading last night and I think it sounds like reflux. I'm trying to get to the dr but she won't calm down enough for me to get ready to take her out :-(

Thanks
    Reviews
    It very well could be reflux. Do you by any chance have any liquid mylanta (the one adults use). If so give her 1 ml of it and within 5 minutes you should see an improvement. If you don't have any can a neighbour or family member pop to the shops to grab some for you?

Big hugs. I know how distressing it is having a baby scream.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (03-07-2013),JR03  (03-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has she had her immunisations within the last week? My dd was doing the same thing, could only get her to feed when she was half asleep and would just scream any other time I tried. Turns out it was due to the rotavirus vaccine giving her an upset tummy. I would definitely take her to the doctors. Hope things start to improve soon.