+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would be extremely reluctant to use the stuff and even more reluctant to let my kids use it. At the very least I would make my kids wait until they were of an age that they could clearly understand how awful the side effects can be, and I would whip it off them if they were displaying signs of depression.
    My brother was on it as a teenager and it ruined him. He has lovely clear skin now but has no high school qualifications because he effectively dropped out of school at 14 because of the depression. Mum and Dad just thought he was being a difficult, moody teen but it just got worse and worse until he came off the stuff.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (04-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    By the way OP, I had never heard of this drug causing depression and wasn't told this by my dermatologist but I did develop depression about 18 months after starting it. No idea if its coincidence or if it was a contributing factor.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I started a course of Roaccutane at 25 years old. Nothing previous had worked for me.

I had a referral to a dermatologist who prescribed it and had to sign a disclaimer to say I would not get pregnant whilst on it. I had regular liver function blood tests also.

Side effects for me were pretty mild, dry lips and general dry skin. I think the first week all the skin on my face peeled off!! Not very attractive but it soon settled down. The one side effect I loved though was that my hair NEVER got greasy!

Had to stay out of the sun or use sunscreen as it can make your skin ultra sensitive.

I believe that some studies have shown that people with previous problems with depression etc have a higher risk of suicidal tendencies if they take Roaccutane but I don't think anyone has completely proven that.

Roaccutane got rid of my acne and I really do credit it for changing life.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pumpkin1106 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstTimeMummy2012 View Post
    I was on it for 8 months and my skin was amazing when I finished. I still get blackheads but pimples only happen around that time of the month and its one or two max. I get people tell me I have great skin and I still to this day find it hard to believe them 12 years later!
    This is me exactly! Started it in my mid twenties after 10 years of trying everything else including double strength antibiotics for an extended period of time (also very bad for you).

But yes it changed my life. I actually couldn't stand looking at myself prior to starting it - not in a good mental state. This is part of the reason why I think that depression is rampant in these situations even before the medication is introduced.

My face was constantly red & the skin literally flaked & peeled of (ugh!), then it was fantastic! It's a toxic dose of vitamin A so I had fabulous hair & nails whilst taking it. When I look back at photos of that time, there is a girl with a beaming red face, but amazing hair 😉.

Had to sign a pregnancy waiver, take the pill, stay out of the sun, avoid alcohol, visit my dermatologist monthly and have LED treatment but I don't regret it for a second.

I had fully researched the possible side effects and some of them are shocking (so I won't recite them) and they were trying to ban it in America at the time! It was a frightening experience going into it & I definitely don't think it should be prescribed freely. Would I do the same again? Yes. Would I be comfortable with future children taking it? Not sure, would require serious consideration. These days I try to avoid any kind of medication so my decision making would be different.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JungleMum For This Useful Post:

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My husband was put on it at the beginning of year 12... He was so depressed he was suicidal and stuffed up his HSC. I asked him if he would ever let our boys use it if they had bad skin and he said over his dead body!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It can damage your skin in the long run, stuff around with the way your body works internally and cause depression.

I wouldn't use it, personally. Acne can often be improved with a good cosmeceutical skincare routine, professional treatments (from a skin clinic or salon, depending on what they offer), lifestyle changes, etc. Not CLEARED UP always, but IMPROVED... without risking your physical health long-term or your mental health.

Of course it works for people, but there's lots of "cures" for things that work well, but cause damage in other ways.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post

I wouldn't use it, personally. Acne can often be improved with a good cosmeceutical skincare routine, professional treatments (from a skin clinic or salon, depending on what they offer), lifestyle changes, etc. Not CLEARED UP always, but IMPROVED... without risking your physical health long-term or your mental health.
    While other treatments might work for the majority of people with 'acne'. I would suggest that most people who think they have acne, really have a bad case of pimples. When you have had severe cystic acne and have been an antibiotics for years, have tried every treatment possible then you may reconsider a treatment such as roaccutane. When your skin condition is effecting everything you do, when you are in constant pain and can barely stand to touch your skin, when your self esteem is suffering and you aren't able to leave the house for the embarrassment then I think it is time to do something 'extreme'. I will have to dig up a photo of my skin back then (not that there are many photos as I would run and hide when ever a camera was brought out).

I am surprised by a pp mentioning that her 14 year old brother was on it. I would have thought at 14 there were many other options to try before going to roaccutane. Certainly at 14 I was on antibiotics but no-one every suggested roaccutane until I was 19, when it was clear that this was not some teenage phase but a severe medical condition.

I wouldn't recommend it as the first response. But once you have tried many other things, are fully aware of the side effects and are well monitored then I would definitely recommend it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (05-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    It can damage your skin in the long run, stuff around with the way your body works internally and cause depression.

Of course it works for people, but there's lots of "cures" for things that work well, but cause damage in other ways.
    Sorry but I don't agree with this. My sister is a beautician and I tried every treatment known to mankind. Absolutely nothing worked. My skin was purple and disgusting to look at. This pill is the only thing that worked and saved my self esteem and my sanity. I can't recommend it highly enough for anyone with severe acne like I had.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

DJ Nette  (04-07-2013),MilkingMaid  (05-07-2013),Pumpkin1106  (04-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think if you wait many years trying different treatments you skin may get scarred for life. If it's severe I don't see why persist in other treatments that don't work. Having scars on your face for life is not good. And also having bad acne (I mean really bad) duing adoescence may be damaging to self-esteem and social life, which may also impact on mental health. Peope who advocate for topical treatments prbably didn't suffer from very severe acne, I'm guessing

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Starfish30 For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Acne is hormonal, no topical treatment is going to help.
    To the PP who asked about my 14 year old brother- he was closer to 15 and had terrible acne from about 11, so he'd tried quite a few other things first. The GP who suggested it was probably a bit crap, seeing as the worst they suggested might happen is a bit of bad sunburn if he wasn't careful in the sun
    I get that people with acne can have a hard time of it because of the acne, but the discomfort and heartache of acne for my brother was nothing compared to what the roaccutane did to him. Perhaps we are genetically more susceptible to meds stuffing with our hormones, I've never been able to go on the pill because every type I've tried has given me either servere pms/mood swings all the way up to full blown depression.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post: