+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Callian View Post
    Why didn't you take the day off and look after your son if he was so obviously unwell? You know what your inlaws are like and yet you took your sick son there. No, l do not think you should be annoyed this is the consequence of your actions. If he was in day care you would have had to take time off to look after him.
    This is both irrelevant and unhelpful. OP has a right to believe that her DS is well cared for when in MIL care, her DH obviously also felt the same way.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (02-07-2013),Meld85  (02-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Callian View Post
    Why didn't you take the day off and look after your son if he was so obviously unwell? You know what your inlaws are like and yet you took your sick son there. No, l do not think you should be annoyed this is the consequence of your actions. If he was in day care you would have had to take time off to look after him.
    That's definitely a fair point and DH and I did discuss this. He has just started a new job and I don't have any sick leave left due to past sickness and pregnancy related issues. I could have taken the day unpaid, but taken a bit of a hit in the pay packet.

I figured if I stayed home I would have kept him indoors, kept fluids up and given a bit of Panadol. All stuff I figured they could do as well as me. I know I mentioned they made a few annoying calls with food and sleep but truthfully it didn't occur to me they would be this unreliable. I suppose I know now for any future sicknesses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am due this month and brought up babysitting with my mum twice. Not even as a regular thing just occasionally. Both times I was rejected. It makes me a little sad that my kids might only get to see family at Xmas etc and be totally reliant on me. I want my kids to be independant and confidant and part of that is putting them in different social settings. But if my parents or in laws were regularly looking after my kid then I would expect them to follow my routines and put the health of a baby first. I wouldn't care so much about the occasional slip up after all grandparents are there to spoil the grandchildren but I have seen how no routine can affect a child. My mum decided that she wanted to spoil her first grandkid and not bother with discipline, routines etc and leave the parenting to my sister unfortunately my sister didn't have the skills and my niece spent a huge chunk of her time with grandparents and aunts and uncles. She could be a lot worse than she is but she has no respect for elders or authority and I seriously worry about her teenage years. I think family is important but not if they undermine you or don't take the care of your baby as their number one priority. I would look at child care as some others suggested. You have every right to be upset and if the in laws say anything just explain that you felt it was time for a more established routine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mdk For This Useful Post:

Meld85  (02-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrinnZiggy View Post
    I think it's fair that you were upset but I do think that maybe you should've stayed home from work. Not just because it sounds like they wouldn't have kept him inside, but also because his cousin could have caught the cold too.
    I trust my inlaws with my ds but only because they demonstrate constantly that they do what I ask. I'd review your child care options.
    My sil is on maternity leave and knew DS was sick - I figured that was her call to make, I don't personally think its my responsibility to stay home as well as her so she can be entertained. If I was home and she had to go to work I simply would not have visited.

I don't care that they went over - that's her choice. I care they sent the boys outside and I know it's so they will entertain each other and SIL can have a break from her DS. It just irks me it was at my Ds's expense.

I finish up work in 4 weeks so no point in finding day care- your inlaws sound great though, do you think they have room for another? Lol

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree you have reason to be upset, grandparents are supposed to have some consideration towards the health and wellbeing of the child in their care. With only four weeks left, I wouldnt be worried about making changes, but when you are next in the situation of looking for outside care of your child/ren, I would be checking out centers and avoiding your inlaws. Your sil needs to grow up a bit, the world has stopped revolving around her a while ago. Marie.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (02-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGranny View Post
    I agree you have reason to be upset, grandparents are supposed to have some consideration towards the health and wellbeing of the child in their care. With only four weeks left, I wouldnt be worried about making changes, but when you are next in the situation of looking for outside care of your child/ren, I would be checking out centers and avoiding your inlaws. Your sil needs to grow up a bit, the world has stopped revolving around her a while ago. Marie.
    I would do this but I might even go as far as "thinking about finishing early" and if IL's ask why I would make a passive aggressive comment along the lines of "I'm getting pretty close to the end of pregnancy anyway and you seem to have your hands really full with sil, I don't want ds to be a burden to you stopping you from getting out and about just because he is sick"

Sent from my magical black talky thingy using bubhub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I do think you have every right to be upset, absolutely. This is something my MIL would do as well and I know I'd be off my rocker.

But you only have 4 weeks left and it's only 2 days a week. Is there any chance you could finish up a week or 2 early? Then it would only be a few days to go that shed be looking after him.

I only say that because I've had so many issues with my mil and in hindsight I probably just should have sucked it up a bit longer, simply coz now I'm the 'difficult one' in the family.

Do you have someone else who can mind him over the next few weeks?