+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Early Riser - is there any hope of changing it?

Hi there,

As the title suggests I have an early riser. I understand that her wake up time might not be considered too early for some, but with me being a night owl and with the rest of the household (DH and DD1) appreciating a sleep in til at least 7....our 15 months old 'early' waking is not ideal for us and we'd love to guide her to sleep in a little longer if we can.

DD2 is now a great little sleeper after a rocky-ish start. She was a catnapper and also took 13 months before she started sleeping through without wanting a feed (still breast feeding) so now her daily routine is:

Rise between 5:30-6:15 (but a couple of days a week she'll sleep til 7).

Nap 11am-1:30pm-ish

Bed between 7 and 7:30.

She self settles overnight most nights if she wakes before 4am. Sometimes she will wakes as early as 5 and I can get her to go back to sleep by telling her its still 'nigh-nigh time' but if its 5:30 or later she will not go back to sleep.

DD2 has a breast feed as soon as she wakes up. She gets very upset if I refuse and will not drink milk from a cup or eat breakfast if its offered to her as an alternative. She will accept a couple of mouthfuls of breakfast off DH if he gets her up and doesn't let her in our room but she just ends up demanding it when I get up and is clingy for the rest of the day so it seems easier for everyone if I quietly get her up and feed her early in the morning. She'll scream the house down otherwise!

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Has anyone else encourage their 15 month old to sleep in a little longer? Do early risers start to sleep in as they get older!

ETA: corrected 'yelling' to 'telling', I don't yell at my 15 month old! Lol!
    Last edited by GirlyWirly; 02-07-2013 at 06:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My guess is no, I tend to believe small humans like their bigger counterparts have their own personal rhythms which dictate how much sleep they want and need. Our DD was a bad sleeper when she was a bub and still years down the track a bloody early riser! Unlike her mother! Lucky though she is now old enough to be quiet and responsible when she wakes so its no bother really anymore.

Your breaky story made me giggle, mine used to wake in the dark and bellow "BREAKPUSS!!" Lmao! Lucky she was cute that's all I can say!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have one early riser (4yrs) and one sleeper inner(3yrs). They have been like that since they were tiny babies and are still exactly the same. My early riser wakes at 5:30 every day *sigh while I have to wake my sleeper inner up at 8:30. They are only 13 months apart in age and have been on the same routine so I think it's just genetic and there is not much you can do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS was recently doing this and just this week has gone back to waking about 7am. I think he is having a wonder week/s and this has contributed to it. The only thing I did was give him a bottle which got him back to sleep for at least an hour and then he seems to have gotten back into 7am wake up. Try treating it as a night waking and riding it out for a bit I also found out there is an 18 month sleep regression which I'm sure we've hit. Check out ask moxie too for sleep tips or at least pragmatic words to get you through.
    Last edited by babyla; 02-07-2013 at 07:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    My DS was recently doing this and just this week has gone back to waking about 7am. I think he is having a wonder week/s and this has contributed to it. The only thing I did was give him a bottle which got him back to sleep for at least an hour and then he seems to have gotten back into 7am wake up. Try treating it as a night waking and riding it out for a bit I also found out there is an 18 month sleep regression which I'm sure we've hit. Check out ask moxie too for sleep tips or at least pragmatic words to get you through.
    ^^^ This

It has been soo hard and because it's dark I think it's worse, but we've stretched it out with a bottle till about 5:30/6:30. I know that isn't really a sleep in but it is here!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    could you try feding her in her room when she wakes at 5, then putting her back to bed sort of treating it like a dreamfeed situation. When she wakes again at 7 or if she is still asleep wake her up, feed again- (like a top up feed) and so she's still getting her usual first feed of the day that she likes.
    Otherwise give her some books/toys and tell her its too early to be up yet but she can quietly play in her cot for an hour or so. She might just go back to sleep?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

Oh no! An 18 month sleep regression? Lets hope DD2 didn't read that chapter in the baby manual lol

I'm trying not to feed her in her room aside from her last feed before bed as its only been a few months since she stopped feeding overnight and I don't want her to think that if I feed her at 5:30am then it's ok to ask for a feed at 2am as well

I had her down to two feeds a day and she's back up to three so I don't really want to have her creep back to 4 if I can avoid it.

She was up at 6:30 this morning which is a little more decent. I'd really prefer 7 though haha!
    Last edited by GirlyWirly; 03-07-2013 at 10:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSS View Post
    ^^^ This

It has been soo hard and because it's dark I think it's worse, but we've stretched it out with a bottle till about 5:30/6:30. I know that isn't really a sleep in but it is here!!
    LOL I was wondering where you were at with sleeping when I was writing this! Our babies are always on the same sleeping pattern!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Understand about not wanting to feed overnight, but it was honestly the only thing that worked!!! The past few nights she has slept through, with a little grizzle here and there, but then is FINALLY going back to sleep.

Babyla, I feel like I stalk you, but every time I jump on to search, "is this happening to anyone else" their you are giving me hope.