+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Baby sleeping in your room

So I'm curious. .. those of you who had your Bub sleeping in your room either in a cot or bassinet. ... at what age did you move your LO to their own room and why? Do you think it improved their sleep?

Just background. ..I planned on my baby sleeping in my room till 6 months. She's 7 months and still sleeping in my room. .. lots of reasons why. .. so just curious what others did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing! DS is 8.5 months and still in our room in his cot (if we had the room he'd be sidecar'd). I'm still happy with it, he sleeps through about 5/7 nights a week but not sure when to move him!

If we had a bigger bed we'd be co-sleeping until he wanted his own bed so no idea when is the right time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD7mo has been sleeping in her cot in her own room for almost 3 months now and is more settled in there.
    Before that we were either bed sharing or she was in the bassinet.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can't tell you how well this has worked out because bub still hasn't bothered to leave my tummy but I live between my own place and my dads place. My own place is a share house so bub has to be in my room with me, dad has insisted she has her own room at his. I was planning on bub sharing my room in both places partly because I'm nervous and want to be close to her in case something goes wrong but mostly because it'll be cold and I don't want to have to go too far from my bed during night feeds
    If bub sleeping in your room is working well and you're happy with that, I don't see why you should move her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I planned on DS sleeping in our room until 6 months. However he is really long and was growing out of his bassinet and we couldn't fit his cot in our room.
    I moved him in his bassinet and had him in that in his room for a week then into his cot. That was about 3 weeks ago and he's 4 1/2 months.
    I do find he's slept a bit better and there are times he will wake, talk to himself for 5 or so minutes then go back to sleep but when he was in our room I would get up to him before he had that chance as I didn't want to wake hubby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I planned to have bubs in our room for the first few months, but he is such a noisy sleeper that he went into his own room at 1.5 weeks! We all sleep so much better with him in his own room. He's now 6 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You don't have to justify your situation with reasons. My two children (2 and 1) sleep in the same room as us and we are really happy with that. They are babies and we want them to be near us - not down the hall. Our two have good sleeping patterns and don't wake during the night and we just love hearing their early morning chatter. When they wake we bring them into our bed and have cuddles. This time is so precious to us and it is something that we won't always be able to do. It's one of the gifts of parenthood, this baby time so I don't pay attention to those who raise their eyebrows at us or insist on separate rooms for their babies. This is how we roll and it works for us. It's funny but this culture ('western developed white' I call it) is the only one I've come across that is fine with having its babies separated from their parents. When I lived in parts of Europe and Asia, it was expected that babies were with their parents in the same room until aged 4 or 5. Separate rooms were frowned upon. Here, we get the opposite. I don't understand that

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

callmedragon22  (02-07-2013),Clementine Grace  (02-07-2013),Mathermy  (02-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    With DS1 he was in our room until 18 months. We lived with my Dad so he got his own room when we moved out. He did sleep better because we weren't waking him by making noise when we came to bed but he still wanted feeds/hugs throughout the night so would end up in our room for part of the night.

Ps. He did have a short stint with his cot in the loungeroom when he was a baby to 6/8 months but I found getting up to feed and resettle was getting too hard for me. Which is why we moved him back in with us and he slept better than the loungeroom. (Though with teenagers/adults wanting to watch tv who can blame him?)

Sent from my telecommunications device.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by xyz987; 09-07-2013 at 22:32.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it can also depend on the layout of your house.
    We are in a 2 bed apartment so the distance between our bedroom and the 'nursery' is about 5 steps. Our plan is to have bub in bassinet in our room at first, but I can't picture the move into the other bedroom being very long away or very dramatic as it is so close.

My sis has the classic modern 4x2 with big master bedroom at the front of the house and minors at the back. Both her bubs were in with them in a cot until about 1 year old as she felt that the move to the other bedrooms was so far away.