+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sluggish BF baby bowel movements

I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience as me. My 7 week old has always had slow bowel movements, he would usually only poo on average every 3 days and can be up to 6 days before he has a bowel movement. I know that's 'normal' for bf babies not to poo often but my son seems to be totally in pain from around the second day after the bowel moment, this is usually signified by screaming, crying, red in the face, clenched body and clenched legs. I have used I infant suppositories a couple of times and there has been around 2 nappies worth of poo and a very happy baby. I'm currently taking him to the chiro, I massage him, I bath him, do the leg things, hold him with his knees up and nothing seems to work (apart from suppositirues). Anyone else experienced or experiencing this? Any advice please! Screaming babies are not fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When my ds was that age he would go 10/11 days without a bowel movement. Up to10 days is normal for a bf baby.
    When he did go there was obviously quite a lot... but thats just how he was... every 10/11 days.
    I was worried alot and tried things like brown sugar in boiled water, coloxyl that type of thing and was assured by doctors and nurses that 10 days was ok....

And finally I just let his body work.
    He was more unsettled the more I tried to help.

Perhaps see your CHN or gp.

Could the pain isnt just wind? Or upset tummy ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your response but I'm pretty sure it's poo, I think that the thing behind the BF thing is that they will be using everything they are eating which he isn't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 8 week old DS1 is the same. We are also doing chiro, massage and bicycle legs.

The one thing you didn't mention was giving cooled boiled water. My CHN and GP said this will help with the bowel movements and we are now having them every 48 hours!

He still gets a bit upset but it is no where near as bad as it was.

Hop that helps. Good luck. It's definitely not fun!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It is normal for a bf bub. Be careful with water as your LO is very young- it's not recommended for under 6 months- check with your GP or chn before offering it as any other fluids can affect your milk supply and can be dangerous if too much is given- google 'water intoxication' for more info. You could try infant coloxyl too.