+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Low Supply 'Intervention' but Want to Continue

Hi all - I'm afraid this is going to be a long one (again!) so you can see what I've already done and hopefully get your advice.

I've had a bit of a nightmare with breastfeeding so far - I love it and want to keep going, but I find myself having to give EBM & formula top ups as well as being on Motilium because bub has only gained 160g since birth (still only 2920g on Friday's weigh in).

DD is 5 weeks tomorrow and I thought things were going well at first, but she wasn't gaining weight - the chn has been amazingly helpful and showed me that my latch was not good (the midwives at the hospital wouldn't teach me how to attach, they just came in and attached DD when I asked for help so I tried to mimic what they did when I was at home). I had been demand feeding and switched to every 3 hours (with a 4 hour stretch 'allowed' overnight) and pumping after all of my daytime feeds to try and boost my supply which the chn said was low because of the poor early attachment.

I did that for a while and still not much weight gain so I started taking Motilium to boost supply and get her to gain weight (I had been eating lactation cookies and started taking Fenugreek to try to do it naturally) - saw a lactation consultant/chn and she suggested I pump after every feed every 3 hours even overnight and give formula top-ups if required to get bub to gain weight.

I was really upset about the formula but decided if I couldn't do it myself, at least she would finally be full. Started the top-ups on Friday and she's been doing well. She has between 30-60mls of formula after feeding from both breasts and whatever EBM I have (not much, a max usually about 30ml - I loathe pumping because it is SO disheartening!!) - though she had one feed yesterday and one today where she didn't want any formula.

SO ... my questions are ...

1. I obviously need to stop Motilium one day - will the milk disappear with it or will I have inreased my supply by then?
    2. Is there anything else I can do to increase my supply? Is it worth pumping between feeds?

I see the LC/CHN again tomorrow and I'm going to see another LC as soon as I can get an appointment but I'm worried about giving her so many bottles!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just wanted to give you a hug! You are doing so damn well where others might have chucked in the towel by now, I admire your persevere & persistence & think your bubba is lucky to have a mumma willing to work so darn hard. I hope someone comes by with some actual helpful advice soon, just wanted to let you know I think you're pretty fab!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

angelini  (01-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big hugs, try not to get too caught up in weight gain.
    My DD was only tiny when born 2.4kg and her gains were very small however she was generally content, fed well, slept well and had lots of wet nappies. The pead told me not to stress to much about weight gain if she was otherwise happy. I would try and do a little bit of pumping with a hospital style pump (pretty cheap to rent) as the more you pump in theory the more you will stimulate your supply to increase (just remember our breasts fill based on demand). I had to pump to encourage my supply at the start and the hospital pump was really good compared to some of the cheaper store bought pumps especially a manual pump. My pead advised me to avoid formula and the bottle feeding as much as possible if I wanted to pursue breast feeding as it doesn't take long for bub to figure out that the bottle is quicker and easier and less work on their part. Good luck!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You are doing such a great job!!!HOw long have you been taking the motilium for and at what dose? I had to take it as well last year and did quite a bit of research into it so I'm curious whether you feel it has worked? I started it at 3 x 2 tablets daily which brought a massive increase in supply after about 5 days. I was on it for about 3 months, just very slowly dropping tablets. That was a year ago and I am still feeding : )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With the motilium once your supply is established you will start to wean off it. I normally cut it down over 2 weeks but sometimes find I need to remain on a low dose for a couple of weeks.
    Blessed thistle is good to take too - herbs of gold do a breastfeeding tablet that contains it and fenugreek that is awesome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambibambino View Post
    You are doing such a great job!!!HOw long have you been taking the motilium for and at what dose? I had to take it as well last year and did quite a bit of research into it so I'm curious whether you feel it has worked? I started it at 3 x 2 tablets daily which brought a massive increase in supply after about 5 days. I was on it for about 3 months, just very slowly dropping tablets. That was a year ago and I am still feeding : )
    I was on 1x tablet 3x a day for 3 days because the GP was a goose and didn't know the dosage - I've now been on 2x tablets 3x a day for almost a week thanks to the CHN. My breasts feel fuller and I leak sometimes, especially overnight (which is weird since I still only go 3 hours between feeds).

I just feel overwhelmed and don't know where to go from here - it feels like no matter what I do she's going to end up FF. She is a lot more content now that she's having top-ups - she has stopped sucking constantly from 4pm-9pm (which I assumed was comfort sucking but lc told me she was just hungry), but still seems as happy as she did before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My situation is so similar!! DD is 5 weeks old tommorow. Taking fenugreek and Motilium for supply. Not gaining weight (have an extra home visit today for monitoring). Top up feeds with small amount of EBM and having to use some formula.... So many similarities. My only difference is DD has breast refusal due to the use if bottles for top ups, and she is very stubborn (I maintain I don't know where that came from ;-)) and I am having some problems with vasospasim .... So we get no where near the time on the breast that you are achieving to increase supply so I am trying out a feeding line ATM.
    I just wanted to say, you are doing a great job, and even though formula was not the plan to start with, it doesn't make what you are doing by continuing to do everything you can to give DD boobie juice any less valuable. Stick in there, we can only do our very best, and fingers crossed that these problems will be in the past soon :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the exact same issues with my DD and at 5 weeks I just had to recognise it just wasn't working. She ended up back in hospital due to low weight and she became a full time bottle baby. The first 5 weeks for me were easily the most horrific of my life and I hit a point where I had to say enough was enough. I tried everything like you and Motilium didn't work for me which compounded it. I now have a very happy and healthy baby and that's the main thing. I hope you get there after all your hard work because I struggled at first and felt like a bit of a failure but at the end of the day the bottle ended up being best for my baby. Breast is not always best especially in my case. Good luck I really hope it works for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How is the latch now? Has bub been checked for a tongue or upper lip tie?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for your support and advice. Vesper is FINALLY over 3kgs and gained 320g in 4 days! I am still concerned about future breast refusal but the formula is obviously helping her. I'm going to enjoy the time that we have as long as the BFing lasts and hopefully we can get rid of the formula eventually but it's not the end of the world if not.

BTW, Felicia, she has been checked for a tongue tie, posterior tongue tie, and lip tie. The attachment is good now!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angelini For This Useful Post:

Bambibambino  (02-07-2013),MilkingMaid  (02-07-2013)