+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How to tackle COMFORT SUCKING??

My son is a serial comfort sucker... I really really really don't want to introduce a dummy.... Is there any other way I can tackle it.. I was hoping there might be other things I can try before using the dummy???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS2 is a massive comfort sucker. I feed to sleep, but he is hard to get off the breast as he wakes easily when I try to detach him. I've started using the 'Pantley Pull Off' method from Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solutions. When they are asleep and go from feeding to that fluttery sucking you basically stick a finger in the corner of their mouth to break the seal and when they are detached press up gently on their chin. It's working well so far. When he's awake he sucks his fists alot, but he's quite happy doing that so I just let him be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My daughter's a big comfort sucker, but not so much on me... she's never been a fan of having to stay facing in a particular direction.
    She had a dummy for sleep when she was younger, but we got rid of it at about 5 months. After a day or 2 without it she figured out how to suck on her finger/thumb, and has used that to help put herself to sleep ever since (now 9 months). The only problem is that she prefers to suck on her hands, and will often refuse to latch (when obviously hungry) because she'd rather suck her hand.

I guess my point is that if he shows any inclination to suck on his own hands, you might be able to encourage that instead of comfort feeding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD is also a comfort sucker. I recently got her to take a dummy which she has to help her settle and it really works. It is not interfering with breastfeeding at all.

i have no advice but just wanted to let you know that you are not alone!