+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Roles of mother and roles of father?

So my mum left when I was a teenager and I stayed with dad and it never occurred to me until yesterday that dad always referred that time as when he 'mothered' me (he's always said it, I just haven't thought about it lol).
    So what do you think the roles of the mother are and what are the roles of the father? Do you think traditional roles are still a guide?

Sent from my talky stick

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't subscribe to traditional roles - in my world, they don't exist!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

beebs  (03-07-2013),Ellewood  (01-07-2013),Renn  (01-07-2013),SugarSkull  (01-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mother - do everything, father - be a ********* and make out hat children ruined his life (that's from my upbringing and seems like hubby is on his way to cementing that)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

Abi&Beth  (01-07-2013),jagamoe  (01-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We don't follow any particular gender roles however biologically we have to - I.e. I'm the one who had to recover from a c-section and I'm the one who's breastfeeding so I have to be the one to take parental leave (no complaints here about that lol). Also he earns more than me, so it just makes sense. But my husband cooks, cleans, changes nappies, puts bub to bed, etc. he also does all the fixing and mowing but that's because I don't know how to fix stuff and he's very protective of his mower and won't teach me how to use it haha.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

jez  (02-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No traditional roles here either, other than I stay home and DH works. We are an equal household, teaching our children that men do "women's work" and that women do "men's work". We just parent and run the house together, free from the gender stereotyped roles of the 1950s

*I can haz typos*

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is the provider and I am the nurturer, we help each other with our roles.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Jarylee  (04-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    From my upbringing;
    Mother does everything, washing, laundry, work. She's soft and comforting.
    Father- works, critisizes, tells you where your going wrong.

As DS and I are a single parent family- mother does everything. The good cop and the bad cop (talk about split personality).

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SimplyMum For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (01-07-2013),MilkingMaid  (02-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents weren't completely traditional in that my mum had a career and dad did *some* housework, but mum did most of the house/kids stuff and dad earned most of the money and did most of the house maintenance and renovation. Mum was responsible for sorting out our day-to-day issues, dad would only join in if we were in serious trouble or something.

I'm a single parent so I do everything when dd is with me, when she is with her dad he does everything, although being the primary carer I do a lot more eg school stuff, buying clothes and shoes etc. If I died I'm sure DD's dad would have no problem taking over and doing everything (although no where near as well as I do it )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same here - single parent so I do it all. No gender roles exist in our world. DS sees his dad every fortnight and he is also z very hands-on dad, cleans, cooks, very nurturing etc.

I dare say DS has never seen his dad pick up a tool though, whereas mummy always has a tool of sorts in my hand and a workshop under the house lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No kids here but I was brought up with a Mum who was very career focussed and earnt more than my Dad. She also worked more hours so he cooked and cleaned. But she did the clothes washing.

I am fairly career focussed, DH cooks, and I do the clothes washing! He grew up with a single parent who did everything so we both have a stalemate on cleaning. It's funny/scary to see history repeating itself or that I am slotting into the gender stereotypes that my parents portrayed!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Azimuth For This Useful Post:

jagamoe  (01-07-2013)