+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 9 month old now refuses the bottle since change of formula

I'm trying to wean my daughter - with great difficultly I have to add! She takes the bottle fine with EBM and also fine when I started giving her some formula bottles. The first formula I gave her made her very constipated so was advised by my CHN to switch to one with less iron which I did but ever since she drank some of the new formula (I don't think she liked the taste) she is really protesting and refusing to have the bottle near her regardless of what's in it now and regardless of who is giving it to her!
    She screams and pushes it away.
    Why is this weaning business so hard! Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    What formula did you start with and what did you swap to? Could you also do a mix of ebm and formula in the one bottle. Starting with more ebm than formula and slowly decrease ebm amount and increase formula amount

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Try a slow wean over... like mixing ebm and formula slowly so that she gets used to the taste. ..
    Also trying the bottle if she dream feeds so that she is quite sleepy with the feed.
    If there is a serious aversion. . do not force the issue. . that can make it worse. Try feeding in a different place. .eg if you feed in a rocker in her bedroom try feeding on the couch in the lounge room. Or if you have a bouncer feed her in the bouncer or similar. .. so the situation feels different.
    Is it possible the teats are too fast or anything??

Thanks
    Reviews
    She started on Bellamys organic which she liked and drank with no hesitation but made her a little constipated and vomited - only sometimes but I think she was guzzling to much and it was heavy on her tummy compared to breast milk. Was told by CHN to change to karicare aptimal gold or nan HA but i choose karicare cause it had better reviews and she drank only less then half a bottle but obviously didn't like the taste (it does taste different cause I tried both to compare, it's quite strong in flavor)

I'm wondering if I should just put her back on bellamys and up her water and fruit (pear) intake to help with poos?

I can't even get her to take a bottle with EBM in it now because I think she thinks its the karicare and won't put the bottle near her mouth.

I will try and give her a bottle through the night tonight of the bellamys and see if her being a little sleepy helps. Ill also try feeding her somewhere different through the day.

This is so hard

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Does she need the calories? Because you can make up the formula with a bit more water which might help with the constipation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Does she need the calories? Because you can make up the formula with a bit more water which might help with the constipation.
    No, I actually have started that but still no luck getting her to drink the bottle anymore
    I managed to get her to drink half late last night by tricking her that it was my nipple but no luck doing that this morning. She won't take it from hubby at all.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We use ballamy and was told it was one of the most basic ones?

Could you go back to it and offer water as well or was the spewing bad

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would try Bellamy's again and as you said try and offer more water, etc for constipation.

I am a big Bellamy's fan

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    We use ballamy and was told it was one of the most basic ones?

Could you go back to it and offer water as well or was the spewing bad
    Yep went back to it last night - she drank half a bottle but that's it. I think it's because she can smell my milk but won't take it from hubby which is weird. I may have to do cold turkey which I'm not sure I'm comfortable with

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    i would call the aba, they must have some usual advice on the matter?

ds was always mixed fed and then refused the boob so im not much help sorry