+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Toilet training - so confused about where/ how to start

DS1 is 2.5 years, and the ladies in his daycare room (he goes 2 days a week) have asked if we're starting to tt soon (all the other kids in his room (2-3yrs) are toilet training).

I'm so confused about how to start, so I thought I would test the waters slowly, and have tried sitting him on the toilet at each nappy change (before fresh nappy goes on), but he hates it. I have one of those all in one seat/ step things that go over the toilet, but he can't get up and turn around to sit down so I've been sitting him on it. The first few times he was ok, it was only for maybe 20 secs, I made a fuss about how good he was and we got off.

Now if I ask him if he wants to sit on the toilet he just shakes his head, so I've started sitting one of his dolls on there and talking all about what we do on the toilet. It's pretty obvious he's not ready, so do I just forget about it for the moment, or should I try getting a potty for him to sit on? Or do I keep 'training' his doll until he shows some interest? I don't want to push it, but not sure how I know when he is ready.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we first started, we would pop the boys on the toilet while I was running the bath so they could do a wee (at first they didn't, but quickly caught on to the idea). A friend suggested this and it really broke the ice and got the ball rolling. If they carried on (didn't want to sit on), I would pop them on and tell them that they could hop off once they calmed down-DS2 is a tantrum thrower and very stubborn though, so it was a power struggle with him more than anything! We would also talk about how weeing in the bath is yucky etc and it just became part of the bath time routine. After a few weeks we progressed to "proper" toilet training-but, I would only do it for 3 days, if thy haven't picked it up by then, they weren't ready. DS1 took a few months, done by 2.5 and DS2 was done first go (2.5 as well).

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It helped me with my first son to think of it as toilet awareness, and when your child becomes aware of the signals his body is giving him, then he will start to associate that with going to the toilet or potty or wherever.

I did it in the summer, so then I just had him nappiless, and I'd talk to him about how it feels just before he feels like he needs to do a pee or a poo, then encourage him to remember to get his pants down or whatever and pee.

We had a big private back yard, so I always toilet trained for pee outside, so if they managed to get their pants down outside they could just pee, rather than having to manage to get to the toilet, climb up on the contraption, sit down etc etc, I think that can be daunting, Just going on the lawn is so much easier, they can succeed at it quickly, and then introduce the toilet as well now and then when you are nearby.

If the awareness isn't there (and it takes a different amount of time for different kids) than you are really probably going to stress him out. You will know when he is ready to start if you watch him carefully, and talk to him about it.

All the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi DB!

DS is the same age and not interested. I don't think it's a good idea to push it, at least not for 6 months or so. We have a potty and a step up toilet seat. We can sometimes bribe him with a sticker to sit on the toilet and do a wee but he's just not motivated. All my friends say they will do it when they're ready, and when they are ready it will happen really quickly. 2.5y is not that old for boys.

Definitely keep asking him, try a bit of bribery and a huge song and dance if he does get on the toilet but try not to stress!! Hopefully these boys get there soon though as I'm over changing two kids' nappies everyday, as I'm sure you are too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, some good advice

He seems scared of sitting on the toilet, so I might get a potty and put it in the bathroom to sit on before bath time. He usually does a wee on the bath mat when I undress him for his bath and says 'wee wee' and gets all excited, so that might be a good place to start.

He also used to tell me when he'd done a poo, but then started hating having his nappy changed after being sick and having some yucky poos, so now he actually hides from me when he's done a poo, so I guess that's another hurdle we have to get over before tt.

DDG - haha, sooooo over changing 2 kids' nappies!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought I would revive this thread instead of starting another.

I got DS1 a little turtle potty - which he loves! I took his nappy off this morning and have let him run around with no bottoms on. Today is the first day he's actually done wee's in his potty (has just been sitting on it the last couple of days). We've done about 6 wees so far in the potty and had 2 accidents on the floor. He's not actually telling me when he needs to wee yet, I'm just asking every 20ish minutes if he wants to sit on the potty.

I've put him in a nappy for his nap, but just wondering what I do when we go out? Do I put him in undies and take the potty, or do I put him in a nappy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great DB! I bribed DS with jelly beans to use the toilet last week. He did about 10 "wees" in 20 minutes just for jellybeans and wasn't interested once the jellybeans ran out.

I would say put him in nappies when you go out until he gets the hang of it a bit more, but no idea really. I've never done this before either!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks DDG, I was leaning towards nappies when out until he has a little better control

LOL at bribing with jellybeans! Have you tried a rewards chart? I've done up a rewards chart for DS1 where if he does 10 wees in the potty we get to go out and get new 'Cars' undies, and when he does 10 poos he gets to pick a new toy car. He doesn't get instant gratification, but understands once all his boxes are ticked he gets something special.
    Last edited by decemberbubba; 09-07-2013 at 08:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We tried a reward chart - I made this fancy one with Fireman Sam on it. Nup, not interested.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone.

My DS is 2.5 and he has now been toilet trained for a year. I was under the impression that they needed to be between 2 and 3 to toilet train but on speaking to my mother and mil they told me that both my husband and myself were toilet trained by 18 month. This was the norm back then.

I started my DS at 18 months, even though it was winter, as I wanted to train him before I went back to work. We ditched nappies from the first day. The first week was hard and there were quite a few accidents. My son refused to wee the whole first day, until I went out and my husband came home. the second day he went back to normal weeing frequency. We used a little basic potty out in the living area. The bells and whistles potty was too much distraction for him. We ended up putting him in pull-ups for bed after 2 weeks as he had a few night accidents. He has been night trained for a few months now.

In our case we just went stuck with it. It took about 2 months before he was never having accidents. 2 friends of mine started at the same time, but after a couple of weeks decided they weren't ready and stopped. Now the kids are a year older they are finding it harder than the first time. I also had a friend's child who was about to head to prep who still wasn't toilet trained and I didn't want to end up in that situation.

We were using mcn before the switch to undies which may have made it easier. My son also loved his undies and happily packed away his baby nappies with me. We did high fives for reward. I think 'toilet training readiness' may be more about the parents readiness than the children's. Even if they don't get it straight away if the expectation is always the same then eventually they will get it. It is worth it in the end!

We had a toilet training pad on his bed for sleep time and at first I took his potty out with us in the basket of the stroller. He was scared of the public toilets.

sorry for the long post!
    Last edited by Maybebaby2; 09-07-2013 at 09:27.