+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default baby in a public pool?

What age did you take your baby swimming in a PUBLIC SWIMMING POOL?
    DS is 6mths old and we are taking our toddler swimming over the shool holidays....i want to put him in too but am so wary of the germs, chemicals, wee and god knows what in the pool (this is the only indoor swim center in our town). He has eczema and im worried the pool chemicals and what not will flare it up. I know you can start swimming lessons from 6mths old but he just seems so little and vunerable for a yucky public pool!
    We first took DD swimming in public pool at 10mths old, she too has eczema, we just shower her there straight afterwards and slather her cream on, even now she's 2 yrs old.
    Or am i just being a sook?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    After bubs 6 month shots we started him on swimming lessons. Chlorine should kill most things. Once my boy started daycare That's when I needed to leave my germ phobia at the door. If you're worried about dry skin just make sure you lather bub in skin cream after the swim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    6 months here

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was thinking 6 mths too, but after a chlorine resistant gastro strain closed a number of Melbourne pools recently I have decided to wait until after winter. I dont mind germs to a degree but I am terrified of gastro!!! However, I do plan on letting him in the hotel pool when we go to QLD in a few weeks (he will be 9mths).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    6 months. My DS has eczema and we were told that chlorine is not a bad thing at all for his skin, in fact it can help.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (01-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i had my DS in the pool at 6 weeks. Only for about 30 mins but it was the middle of summer and DD wanted to go swimming so he came too.
    He loved it. I wouldnt worry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    5 months here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both DS and DD started swim lessons at 4 months in a public pool. We go 3 times a week. They get the water in their mouths when they go under and we never have any skin issues or illnesses. Not even an ear infection. Just dry their ears really well, particularly if there is a cool breeze.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We started DD in a public pool from about 6 months

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    6 months. My DS has eczema and we were told that chlorine is not a bad thing at all for his skin, in fact it can help.
    Chlorine is awful on my skin and I've suffered severe eczema all my life. If I swim in a chlorinated pool I have to shower and cream up straight away or my skin is horrendous. Swimming in a salt water pool or at the beach were great for my skin as the salt water always helped clear it up

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Muffet  (01-07-2013)