+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Why can't both sides just accept that we both do valid jobs, and that PPL is around 6-7k BB is 1-3k and everyone is winning? There is a significant bonus to working up to 6 times the amount - and while it's taxable, a woman that isn't working for 6-12 months clearly will pay little to no tax??

Why does it always have to be this fight to kick the other down? like the comments in here that SAHM's should get no assistance and pay for their babies themselves? right, got it, while 2 income families are happily accepting thousands in assistance bc they are 'better' rather than paying for their babies themselves? It serves no purpose but to cause division.

I have never seen one SAHM either here on IRL that begrudges PPL. Yet the constant bagging, whinging about a few k BB, how we are lazy, bad role models, not contributing is just constant. Quite frankly I'm sick of it. If you want to work, you are getting heaps more in govt assistance for doing that. Just let it go
    Sadly, I have seen sahm's begrudge the ppl. I cop it all the time from sahm's around me.

I'm jealous of sahm's, I wish I could afford to do it. And I don't think sahm's job is any less valuable than what I do. Heck, it's raising the next generation. You can't do anything more important.

I'm thankful we live in a country that offers mothers financial support. As previous posts have said bb & ppl are like apples and oranges. Personally, if it wasn't for the ppl I'd have been back at work when DS was 2 months old. . My family can't live without some form of income coming from me. Where as I guess sahm's are already surviving on the less wage. Not saying any is right it wrong.

As for paying taxes, pretty sure we all do. I don't think anyone is more deserving because of the tax we've paid. It's like telling someone they can't drive on a certain road because my taxes paid for that one...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheekychook For This Useful Post:

dancingchipmunk  (08-07-2013),delirium  (06-07-2013),gonnabeaGR8mum  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Just to be clear Cassieh - women simply can't stay at home when their kids are in primary or high school and still get payments. They have to look for work or study. So that is a moot point. The tax payer is not paying for women to stay home when their kids are to school.

I don't think anyone is saying SAHM's are badly done by. I've been a working mum and a SAHM and I love my life. I'm just tired of the constant bagging out of SAHMs and the double standards from some working mums who are happy to receive support themselves which is well above the BB (and again, I support that) then whinge about the BB. Just seems hypocritical......
    I'm not whinging about the BB... But I think it's unfair for people who have no intention of going back to work & contributing to the economy to expect to receive the same as people who do.

I assure you I really don't have anything against SAHMS.. I really don't. I just have very strong opinions on government support.. I think a lot of people take advantage of it.

I think I'll just agree to disagree, because I'm not meaning to offend .. But it's just simply my opinion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    I'm not whinging about the BB... But I think it's unfair for people who have no intention of going back to work & contributing to the economy to expect to receive the same as people who do.

I assure you I really don't have anything against SAHMS.. I really don't. I just have very strong opinions on government support.. I think a lot of people take advantage of it.

I think I'll just agree to disagree, because I'm not meaning to offend .. But it's just simply my opinion.
    I think their contribution is not a financial one. While I agree with a lot of your points I don't think you can stop someone from receiving payments because of tax they've paid. It's a welfare system that supports everybody. Imagine all those on careers payments. They can't go back to work because of a disabled child. Should they payments be stopped? Baby's still cost, the bb helps support those costs.

It should be noted they there will always be someone taking advantage of the system which leaves a bad taste in people's mouths. You can't throw everyone into the one basket.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post

I assure you I really don't have anything against SAHMS.. I really don't. I just have very strong opinions on government support.. I think a lot of people take advantage of it.I think I'll just agree to disagree, because I'm not meaning to offend .. But it's just simply my opinion.
    But see, your first paragraph is a misnomer. Every SAHM I know acknowledges it's fair PPL is more. The only women that never intend to go back to work are those solely supported by their husbands. Which is their choice. As redlips said, it's 6 for partnered parenting payment and 8 for SPP. I'm not sure where you get the impression that all these women sit on their butts after their kids go to school bc they don't. Believe it or not I support the rules that once the oldest is at school you need to do something with yourself if you are receiving payments!You say you don't begrudge BB but then say SAHM's shouldn't expect the govt to pay for them to sit at home.. which is effectively what the BB does?

I stand behind my previous comments - As a SAHM I'm happy with 1k since I already have kids, and I'm more than happy for the PPL to be paid. I'm just tired of the us and them thing
    Last edited by delirium; 06-07-2013 at 20:51. Reason: gah stupid paragraphs

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (06-07-2013),kw123  (06-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook View Post
    Sadly, I have seen sahm's begrudge the ppl. I cop it all the time from sahm's around me.

I'm jealous of sahm's, I wish I could afford to do it. And I don't think sahm's job is any less valuable than what I do. Heck, it's raising the next generation. You can't do anything more important.

I'm thankful we live in a country that offers mothers financial support. As previous posts have said bb & ppl are like apples and oranges. Personally, if it wasn't for the ppl I'd have been back at work when DS was 2 months old. . My family can't live without some form of income coming from me. Where as I guess sahm's are already surviving on the less wage. Not saying any is right it wrong.

As for paying taxes, pretty sure we all do. I don't think anyone is more deserving because of the tax we've paid. It's like telling someone they can't drive on a certain road because my taxes paid for that one...
    It's a shame you've had that experience with SAHM's Thank you for your comments, makes me realise there are working mums out there that get it

8. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

peanutmonkey  (06-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook View Post
    I think their contribution is not a financial one. While I agree with a lot of your points I don't think you can stop someone from receiving payments because of tax they've paid. It's a welfare system that supports everybody. Imagine all those on careers payments. They can't go back to work because of a disabled child. Should they payments be stopped? Baby's still cost, the bb helps support those costs.

It should be noted they there will always be someone taking advantage of the system which leaves a bad taste in people's mouths. You can't throw everyone into the one basket.
    I agree with what you've said. I think I've had too many bad experiences with people I know who are completely rorting the system... So I probably am being a little one sided.

Delirium. I don't think stay at home mums sit on their bum all day.. I really don't. Being a mum is a tough gig.. But the original post was whether bb & ppl should be the same.. And I don't think it should be. We also agree that once kids hit school that mothers should look for employment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Cassieh... Why should a mum look for work just because their kids start school? If you don't need the $$$ then why SHOULD a mum?
    If they are happy being a sahm and perhaps they volunteer at school for reading etc. They run their house. They are there when kids are sick and to pick up from school etc etc. Why should they have to work if they don't want to?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Lauzy83  (08-07-2013),SoThisIsLove  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The comment about two-income families "taking thousands" in welfare doesn't appreciate how much these families contribute to social welfare by the high taxes they pay.

The balance remains disproportionately in the govt's favour when you compare the tax I've paid and the welfare I've received for having a child. Two-income families often pay almost half their income in tax and childcare and getting a few thousand back when you give birth is not really a hand out, but a well timed minor tax rebate.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MMelissa For This Useful Post:

KassMeow  (06-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MMelissa View Post
    The comment about two-income families "taking thousands" in welfare doesn't appreciate how much these families contribute to social welfare by the high taxes they pay.

The balance remains disproportionately in the govt's favour when you compare the tax I've paid and the welfare I've received for having a child. Two-income families often pay almost half their income in tax and childcare and getting a few thousand back when you give birth is not really a hand out, but a well timed minor tax rebate.
    Single income families also pay tax.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-07-2013),ChickyBee  (06-07-2013),LoveLivesHere  (07-07-2013),SoThisIsLove  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    Cassieh... Why should a mum look for work just because their kids start school? If you don't need the $$$ then why SHOULD a mum?
    If they are happy being a sahm and perhaps they volunteer at school for reading etc. They run their house. They are there when kids are sick and to pick up from school etc etc. Why should they have to work if they don't want to?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    I'm not talking about people who don't need the money.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cassieh For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (07-07-2013),Tamtam  (06-07-2013)