+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    Adding to my vent.. Just heard from a SAHM that she gets a $6000 tax return... She hasn't worked for 12 years... :/

I don't understand how you can get more tax back on free money then people who actually worked for theirs.

Absolutely ridiculous.
    You do know that tax gets charged on things other than income for working right?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ChickyBee For This Useful Post:

susanne  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Adding to my vent.. Just heard from a SAHM that she gets a $6000 tax return... She hasn't worked for 12 years... :/

I don't understand how you can get more tax back on free money then people who actually worked for theirs.

Absolutely ridiculous.
    Are you sure she didn't mean that she received $6k over the tax year? I don't see how anyone on pp would pay $6k in tax... Most people receiving income assistance don't even get paid enough to exceed the tax free threshold. The only way that I can see your claim possible is if she opted to have x amount taken from her payment every fortnight so that she could get a lump sum back at tax time (basically just forced savings) but even then, that would be a substantial amount of her payment and surely wouldn't even be allowed.

In short, I think what you or this sahm are saying is full of sh!t

4. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickyBee View Post
    You do know that tax gets charged on things other than income for working right?
    This. Do her and her partner have joint investments? Is there some type of income 'shifting' going on with shares, property etc. There are many ways to earn income and pay tax (or get a tax return) without going to 'work'. Particularly if her partner is on a high income it is very common to find ways to transfer income so that it reduces the couples overall tax bill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Nette View Post
    This. Do her and her partner have joint investments? Is there some type of income 'shifting' going on with shares, property etc. There are many ways to earn income and pay tax (or get a tax return) without going to 'work'. Particularly if her partner is on a high income it is very common to find ways to transfer income so that it reduces the couples overall tax bill.
    Nope. She has nothing. No shares, no house, no investments. No partner either. Her one & only income is centre link.

Thanks
    Reviews
    First of all, I am a working mum and I didn't get either payment so am not biased lol.

I think that it's unfair that sahms don't get a payment, because many women don't return to the workforce between having their (for example ) first and second children. They may have worked for 15 years then had a baby, and decided not to return to work until finishing the family, or got pregnant again quickly, or whatever.

I think that as a SAHM you should also get the extra help to be able to stay home with your baby.

I don't like the idea that perhaps some sahms might be forced to return to work early because they needed the money that they would have had if they'd been at work before having their baby, if that makes sense.

I don't think you can say well if you can't afford babies don't have them, because the reality is that we live in the most expensive country in the world and having babies shouldn't be a privilege of the middle class / wealthy.

I think that as a society it's reasonable for us to give a helping hand with small kids.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-07-2013),Purple Lily  (06-07-2013),Turk EnJayDee  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    But what is defined as returning "early".

I don't think that only the wealthy should have babies. But I do think its reasonable to expect people to work to be able to afford them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Nope. She has nothing. No shares, no house, no investments. No partner either. Her one & only income is centre link.
    Well if that is so, she must be paying a large proportion of her pps in tax as it is clearly not possible to get tax back that you've not paid in the first place.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm a SAHM and am fine with the fact that the PPL is heaps more. There has to be an incentive to work. But honestly, I get a little tired of the SAHM bashing that goes on here sometimes. I find the most judgmental group is working mums which is a real shame

When I had my first child, I worked until 2 weeks before my child was born, and returned when she was 5 months old. I got zero PPL. So while I'm a SAHM now, I worked and paid taxes for over decade before I had her.

This is a very unpopular opinion & usually grinds a few people's gears... But as far as I'm concerned, if you can't afford a baby, don't have one. It's simple.
    Could this not be said even more for 2 income families? If a 2 income couple are earning 120k a year, under your rules surely they should have the funds to provide for their own child and not rely on govt payments in the form of PPL? Again, I'm in full support of working parents getting PPL. But your argument is very flawed. You are saying 1 income families or single families need to go it alone and pay for their child themselves, while 2 income families gain up to 6 times that of the BB for additional children??

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Amiedoll  (07-07-2013),atomicmama  (06-07-2013),beebs  (08-07-2013),ChickyBee  (06-07-2013),ClearCrystal  (07-07-2013),gonnabeaGR8mum  (07-07-2013),peanutmonkey  (06-07-2013),Purple Lily  (06-07-2013),Turk EnJayDee  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess to me, returning early is before a year... Having said that I know many many women do return before then and make it work. I just feel like you shouldn't have to leave a tiny baby, for financial reasons. Ie if some women are having to return to work earlier than otherwise as a result of the baby bonus being cut, I think it's a bad thing, And I think that it's not fair if you have to go back to work earlier than someone else who is getting PPL

The baby bonus being cut will probably mean some women go back to work for long enough between having children to ensure they are entitled to it, don't you think?

I know many women find it extremely painful leaving their babies so they can work and often this is something you can't predict until you've had your child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    The baby bonus being cut will probably mean some women go back to work for long enough between having children to ensure they are entitled to it, don't you think?

I know many women find it extremely painful leaving their babies so they can work and often this is something you can't predict until you've had your child.
    Yes I agree, the difference is I don't see why the Govt should pay people to stay home because they find it hard to leave their babies. We all do. I am not saying women should rush back to work, not at all. If you want to stay home then you should. But dont expect your personal decision to be funded.

And if women return to work to ensure they get the PPL... Then it's doing its job.

I think it's a shame that delirium finds working mums the most judgemental on here. Ironically I find its the SAHM's but maybe people tend to feel more judgement from the "group" they're not in?

I don't know any SAHMs who expect the same level of payment as PPL, as they understand the difference between the payments.

It's not the Government saying, we are going to give all women a payment for having a baby. Group A can have this much because they worked beforehand and Group B can have less because they didn't work.

The two are incomparable and are given for very different things, which is why the amount is different.
    Last edited by kw123; 06-07-2013 at 19:12.