+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JD Mumma View Post
    Whats interesting, is you only need to have worked 300 hours in a 12 month period to be eligible for PPL. Surely, 5 hours per week is doable if you really want/need that money. Canning the baby bonus was a smart financial move, imo.
    Agreed. If they are so desperate for money... Go and work for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    Oh god, don't even get me started.. My opinion on it is pretty blunt.

Stay at home mums aren't earning an income... Why should the government give them more money?? The paid parental leave is a great scheme for working mums to afford to take the time off to spend with their babies. I am getting PPL & I have most definitely paid for it in the taxes I've paid over the years I've worked! (I've had a job since I was 15)

This is a very unpopular opinion & usually grinds a few people's gears... But as far as I'm concerned, if you can't afford a baby, don't have one. It's simple.

People shouldn't be having babies & relying on the government to support them. It absolutely infuriates me that my sister in law has absolutely no intention of going back to work because she makes just as much money sitting at home all day while her kid is in day care (which is also very heavily subsidized) then what she would going back to work.

It also infuriates me that people get tax returns on their free money. But that's a whole nother vent! Lol.
    Pretty much my exact opinion. This topic really quite annoys me I work and I raise my son and will be getting PPL soon to have my next bub and then I'll go back to work to support them both. I've worked full time for 9 years (since I was 17) and I am quite happy to have a bit of a break through PPL and I think I've earnt it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    Mopoke why do you think you should be getting more money once your bb or ppl runs out? You would be on same amount as someone who didn't work depending on what you earnt during that financial year.
    No. I meant by me having a baby and taking ppl I am taking a pay cut but a dole bluffer still gets their normal income plus the bb. Once my ppl finished I would only get a little bit of ftb.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I don't get the issue TBH. Most SAHM's get an increase in income when they have a baby (ie those receiving FTB plus the bonus of BB) and those on PPL often take an income cut and get no 'bonus'. The government hasn't failed to maintain eithers income from before babies.

Sure I think the drop in BB is a bit much with subsequent babies and understand it sucks but don't feel that the debate should be argued between women, instead we should support each other.
    What I've found when discussing this with sahm's is that they don't acknowledge the increase in ftb a&b. I only found out about that through this thread.

I totally agree with the comment about supporting each other. Sahm's and work mums have benefits and negatives but at the end of the day we are all doing what we think is best for our family and the government supports us in both scenarios. Different support yes, but both are supported.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cheekychook For This Useful Post:

beebs  (05-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I can see what you are saying. But I have been working since I was 14, and I am older than you. I have contributed my fair share of tax, just like everyone else. I am under no illusions that if there was no FTB, I would not be able to afford to be off work. The flip side is, I actually don't want to be a SAHM, I really don't like it, I like working. But sometimes, life throws a curve ball and we end up where we didn't think we would be. So I am thankful for FTB.

Stay at home mums aren't earning an income... Why should the government give them more money?? The paid parental leave is a great scheme for working mums to afford to take the time off to spend with their babies. I am getting PPL & I have most definitely paid for it in the taxes I've paid over the years I've worked! (I've had a job since I was 15)

This is a very unpopular opinion & usually grinds a few people's gears... But as far as I'm concerned, if you can't afford a baby, don't have one. It's simple.

People shouldn't be having babies & relying on the government to support them. It absolutely infuriates me that my sister in law has absolutely no intention of going back to work because she makes just as much money sitting at home all day while her kid is in day care (which is also very heavily subsidized) then what she would going back to work.

It also infuriates me that people get tax returns on their free money. But that's a whole nother vent! Lol.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Lauzy83  (08-07-2013),Pesca77  (06-07-2013),Purple Lily  (06-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ftb increases are very little. Every couple of months it would go up maybe 80 cents or so. Without ftb and rent assistance I'd have to go back to work...or I should say stay at work. I just recently quit work cause after going back when my son was 15 mths old as I want to be a sahm for now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Adding to my vent.. Just heard from a SAHM that she gets a $6000 tax return... She hasn't worked for 12 years... :/

I don't understand how you can get more tax back on free money then people who actually worked for theirs.

Absolutely ridiculous.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cassieh For This Useful Post:

KassMeow  (06-07-2013),MrsHoward  (06-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Adding to my vent.. Just heard from a SAHM that she gets a $6000 tax return... She hasn't worked for 12 years... :/

I don't understand how you can get more tax back on free money then people who actually worked for theirs.

Absolutely ridiculous.
    Maybe she is referring to ftb supps and arrears? Or she might have opted to pay $6000 out of her parenting payment if she receives it?
    If she is partnered maybe she is referring to her partners tax return? Or she is just full of sh!t? because you can't get a tax return if you didn't pay tax in the first place!

Sent from my GT-N8020 using The Bub Hub mobile app

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-07-2013),LoveLivesHere  (06-07-2013),second baby not so easy  (08-07-2013),soon2bmumzy  (08-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The way I see it is that I'm not currently working anyway, so will not be losing an income when the baby comes along. If I had continued working, the PPL would be to supplement the loss of income until I begin work again. It wasn't a factor when I had my child in 2003 anyway, I had saving for the short time I had off work. I feel that the 50% childcare rebate is fair as well because without working, I have no childcare fees. Childcare fees are a direct cost of working in the same way that buying uniforms is a direct cost of work and can be claimed back.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Secret of Cleo For This Useful Post:

kw123  (06-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree with most of your post....except the part about not having babies if you can't afford them. It's not always a choice!

I fell pregnant with DS2 completely unplanned and unprepared - DS1 was only 9mths old and I wasn't even back at work yet. We relied on IVF for DS1, so it wasn't just a 'whoopsie' through poor judgement. My DH then left suddenly, leaving me with a $3k monthly mortgage, a 13mth old and another baby on the way. If it wasn't for the assistance I now receive while on mat leave as a single parent, I'd be screwed.

I'm the same as Beebs too....been working since I was 17, so 18yrs & I've never received money from the g'ment until I had babies. I've well and truly paid my taxes so deserve a bit of help when I really need it. In saying that, I have every intention of returning to work though, so this is temporary.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-07-2013),MrsSS  (06-07-2013)