+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook View Post
    Sorry for not making it clear but I was talking about the ppl and BB.

I agree with others, they aren't comparable. I just know many sahm who don't think it's fair. That their job is being a mum and that should be recognised with the same sort of payments as what working mums get.
    Both are mums, so both of have the "job" of being a mum. The difference is one goes to work on top of being a mum to earn an income.

I personally don't believe you should expect to get paid for staying home to be a mum. Although a lot of families do get FTB etc. if they are entitled to it, to boost the family income.

Comparing BB and PPL is comparing apples and oranges. PPL is for women who have worked before they had their baby and it's really in place of paid Maternity Leave. BB is that, a bonus to help out with the cost of raising children.

I know many will disagree but i don't expect to get paid by my Government to stay home with my child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    PPL is essentially maternity leave for working parents. It's not a 'welfare payment'. Women who work should be able to get some time off to be with their new baby before returning to work, and for many women that wouldn't be possible without PPL.
    A SAHM wasn't making that extra income before they had a baby, so why do they need more money after having a baby? The baby bonus is just that, a bonus. Those that get it should be grateful for what they get and stop whinging that they want more.
    I agree but I don't think there's anything I could say to convince some sahm's that I know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh god, don't even get me started.. My opinion on it is pretty blunt.

Stay at home mums aren't earning an income... Why should the government give them more money?? The paid parental leave is a great scheme for working mums to afford to take the time off to spend with their babies. I am getting PPL & I have most definitely paid for it in the taxes I've paid over the years I've worked! (I've had a job since I was 15)

This is a very unpopular opinion & usually grinds a few people's gears... But as far as I'm concerned, if you can't afford a baby, don't have one. It's simple.

People shouldn't be having babies & relying on the government to support them. It absolutely infuriates me that my sister in law has absolutely no intention of going back to work because she makes just as much money sitting at home all day while her kid is in day care (which is also very heavily subsidized) then what she would going back to work.

It also infuriates me that people get tax returns on their free money. But that's a whole nother vent! Lol.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cassieh For This Useful Post:

Cicho  (03-07-2013),KassMeow  (03-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Usually working women get 10 wks maternity leave paid + ppl or baby bonus. Thought in the current scheme you pick either ppl or bb? Even if a woman isn't working doesn't a baby still cost money to raise?? So why shouldn't she get bb? The ppl is still more in the end. To say that a woman shouldn't have a baby if she can't afford it is crazy. Imagibe how the workd would we if we stopped having kids cause we all didnt work prior to having them.

And as for your sil not working cause she gets more money staying home...why wouldn't you do that...wouldn't it be crazy to go out and work when you get money from government to stay at home? For alot of women a job isn't a career it's just a way of getting money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can u imagine if we got no help from the government at all?? That all of us had to put our kids in childcare if our husbands/partners didn't earn enough or if you were a single parent? The cost would be phenomenal. Childcare places would be full to the brim and those that wanted to breastfeed for example couldn't do so properly or exclusively.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whats interesting, is you only need to have worked 300 hours in a 12 month period to be eligible for PPL. Surely, 5 hours per week is doable if you really want/need that money. Canning the baby bonus was a smart financial move, imo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What annoys me about ppl and bb is a person who doesn't work and is on centrelink benefits has a baby, they still get those same benefits PLUS the extra of the bb. Whereas when I have a baby I stop receiving my regular income and receive approx. 1/2-2/3 of what I got pre baby (ppl) and no extra of the bb. If the government want people to work I don't see how that's fair.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mopoke For This Useful Post:

rb29  (06-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Doable jdmumma but not likely for alot of mums to find a job for just 5 hours a week! It's gone up to 330 hours now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mopoke why do you think you should be getting more money once your bb or ppl runs out? You would be on same amount as someone who didn't work depending on what you earnt during that financial year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    Usually working women get 10 wks maternity leave paid + ppl or baby bonus. Thought in the current scheme you pick either ppl or bb? Even if a woman isn't working doesn't a baby still cost money to raise?? So why shouldn't she get bb? The ppl is still more in the end. To say that a woman shouldn't have a baby if she can't afford it is crazy. Imagibe how the workd would we if we stopped having kids cause we all didnt work prior to having them.

And as for your sil not working cause she gets more money staying home...why wouldn't you do that...wouldn't it be crazy to go out and work when you get money from government to stay at home? For alot of women a job isn't a career it's just a way of getting money.

Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post

To me.. People should work. It's life. You work to earn money to support yourself & your family.... And I would hope that someone has had a job before having a baby, yes. I had a job when I was 15 & have worked since. Australian work ethic is horrible... Too many people think it's the governments responsibility to support them.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cassieh For This Useful Post:

Meg2  (03-07-2013),rb29  (06-07-2013)