+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Unbelievable that a SAHM would expect the same amount as PPL.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (02-07-2013),babyla  (01-07-2013),Buttoneska  (01-07-2013),Clementine Grace  (02-07-2013),KassMeow  (01-07-2013),Meld85  (03-07-2013),Silvana  (06-07-2013)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Can working parents get both? As they perform both jobs?
    I think this POV is pretty common actually (that it's 'not fair' that working mums get PPL) but not many SAHMs are willing to say it out loud.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

beebs  (02-07-2013),Buttoneska  (01-07-2013),cheekychook  (01-07-2013),kw123  (01-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If we want to have women in the workforce we have to include paid parental leave as a standard workplace entitlement. Generally, paid leave entitlements are covered by the employer (recreation leave, sick leave etc.), but because it is considered that PPL would put too much of a burden on employers, it is paid for by the government (albiet at a reduced rate than the employee's actual salary).
    So the way I see it is that PPL is actually a subsidy for employers, not welfare for parents.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (01-07-2013),cheekychook  (01-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd like to say that working parents are mums as well so you could say they have 2 jobs. For people that think working parents have it all - they don't. Especially if you use childcare. I have 2 children soon to be 3 and most of my wage goes to paying childcare. The thing that annoys me about people who stay at home are the ones that say it's unfair that working women get the rebate and non working people don't. When do SAHM get a break to go and do things? Sorry to burst your bubble SAHMs but most working women don't get a break either. Most work 9 -5 and a childcare centre is open usually between 8 - 6. Some are open at 7. Sorry to say this but not much time there. As for the PPL it's meant to be a payment to help people stay at home longer... I work casually so without this payment I'd get nothing and have to survive without my usual income. It allows me to stay at home for 4 months rather than going back after 2 months. Also you don't actually get 10k... that's taxed and adds to your tax throughout the year. In fact if they still did the 5000 baby bonus it would be more beneficial to me to get the baby bonus then PPL.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

cheekychook  (01-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Can working parents get both? As they perform both jobs?
    I think this POV is pretty common actually (that it's 'not fair' that working mums get PPL) but not many SAHMs are willing to say it out loud.
    I have a couple in my life, one is very extreme and to the point of saying I shouldn't have had kids if I was just going to put them in child are. She should get rebates for looking after her child similar to the child care rebates working mums get.

A lot of people were agreeing with her hence this thread. Most mums here seem to have the same train of thought as I do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook View Post
    I have a couple in my life, one is very extreme and to the point of saying I shouldn't have had kids if I was just going to put them in child are. She should get rebates for looking after her child similar to the child care rebates working mums get.

A lot of people were agreeing with her hence this thread. Most mums here seem to have the same train of thought as I do.
    This statement about working mums shouldn't have kids if they put their kids in childcare really annoys me. If the child care Centre is also looking after your kids when sick. .. overnight. .. on weekends then maybe ... but seriously!!!
    Anyway. . sorry to derail. .
    In short I agree with you too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, look, I have said time and time again on this forum that PPL and the BB are not at all comparable. They have completely different aims. Which is why I get so frustrated at people whinging that the BB gets cut but tne PPL doesn't.

Seriously peeps, working Mum and stay at home Mum are two very different roles. One isn't better than the other. One isn't harder than the other. They are just different. So it stands to reason that any monies and compensation involved, is therefore different.

*I can haz typos*

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (01-07-2013),Pesca77  (06-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheekychook View Post
    tell your friends to go tell that to all the working dads out there - cos as far as I can tell there's a lot less DAHD's than SAHM's out there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    Yeah, look, I have said time and time again on this forum that PPL and the BB are not at all comparable. They have completely different aims. Which is why I get so frustrated at people whinging that the BB gets cut but tne PPL doesn't.

Seriously peeps, working Mum and stay at home Mum are two very different roles. One isn't better than the other. One isn't harder than the other. They are just different. So it stands to reason that any monies and compensation involved, is therefore different.

*I can haz typos*
    Well said!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cheekychook For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (01-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    PPL is essentially maternity leave for working parents. It's not a 'welfare payment'. Women who work should be able to get some time off to be with their new baby before returning to work, and for many women that wouldn't be possible without PPL.
    A SAHM wasn't making that extra income before they had a baby, so why do they need more money after having a baby? The baby bonus is just that, a bonus. Those that get it should be grateful for what they get and stop whinging that they want more.