+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I actually don't have a problem with the PHI rebate or private school funding. It does take the pressure off the system. But I think beebs point... and mine earlier, is that lots of tax payers, especially families like ours that are single income, are footing the bill for more wealthy people to get an even bigger leg up. So it comes back to my argument that everyone's tax goes into stuff we all don't use. I don't have an issue with my husband's taxes paying for a family on double our income to get PHI. So why should that family care that a single income family might get a little bit of PPP or FTB?

It's a bit silly to expect that each of our tax dollars only can go to the things WE utilise?

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (09-07-2013),beebs  (10-07-2013),dancingchipmunk  (09-07-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (10-07-2013),LoveLivesHere  (09-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I don't understand this sense of entitlement from any of the 'sides' of this debate. We are all responsible for contributing to society, be it in the form of working and paying taxes, volunteering, raising the next generation, studying to raise the education of all etc.

How you choose to contribute is entirely up to you, but your contribution should not be in expectation of being entitled to something in return. (ie just because you pay more in tax doesn't entitle you to any benefits and staying at home also shouldn't entitle you to any benefits).

We actually have an amazing government system that supports all our society. We should all be grateful that there is a safety net that catches those most in need (sure you could argue that some need even more help, but in many other countries you wouldn't get half of what our government provides). We all benefit from the roads we drive on, the national parks protecting our biodiversity, the health system, schools, national security, police etc.

It doesn't impact on me if you choose to go back to work or to stay at home. I'm just grateful that you can make that choice and that we live in a society that will support that decision.

Really, why can't we all just get along.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

beebs  (10-07-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (10-07-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (10-07-2013),Mathermy  (14-07-2013),MissMuppet  (10-07-2013),peanutmonkey  (09-07-2013),Purple Lily  (10-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Because if everyone went public instead of private the taxpayer would be paying a lot more for a health system that would probably buckle under pressure.

A small initial outlay to save the whole system from going up the crapper...
    But that system actually works very well in many parts of Europe. They are taxed high for it, of course. But I prefer high taxes to help everyone rather than private health to help a few

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soccer mum For This Useful Post:

beebs  (10-07-2013),BigRedV  (10-07-2013),delirium  (10-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not everyone has a career to go back to. I'm unskilled labor (left home at 17, took every job I could get so no specialty). I've lost jobs to teenagers
    I also don't have a license or access to my own car which rules out more jobs.
    I also love being a sahm, even if I got a job though the CC costs would eat more than my pay (add to the fact that most centers arn't open at my old hours even if they'd take me back).
    My being a sahm saves the government money really, we get ftbA, a small amount of B and some rent assistance (it's not very much but really comes in handy). My husband would have gotten extra tax back for having dependents, now we get ftb instead. I don't claim the cc rebate, and it's an extra place for another child to fill.
    I'll miss out on ppl this time (I was working in my last pregnancy, so I did get it then) but I certainly don't feel hard done by. I'd also never begrudge anyone their payments.
    A lot of the comments in this thread have been hurtful and rude towards stay at home mums (I'm not a bludger, I spend my payments on my family, not on any bad habits). We're an honest family that really appreciates that the government is willing to help make ends meet (but either way my working would cost my family more than I'd earn, so I'd still be home).

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub app

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

beebs  (10-07-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (10-07-2013),LoveLivesHere  (10-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We probably all know people who give others a bad name. I met a young mum recently when we went out on the boat, my friends came along with a baby I had never met before and said it's the housemate's new girlfriend's baby, she left her there for the night and hadn't come back for her. I went for a drive to take the baby home and the mum was going nuts. My friend actually refused to give the baby back and said to come get her when she's calmer. She didn't even say hello to her baby who she hadn't seen in over 12 hours and was screaming about how the child support hasn't been paid so even though her supply of drugs has come in, she had no money to pay for it. She smokes weed. I'm sure people would judge young mums on that display if they had no other young mums to compare her to, or single mums if they had no other single mums to compare to, or stay at home mums if they had no other stay at home mums to contribute to. Luckily people like that aren't everywhere, and people like that are that way with or without children, with or without a job. Tarring everyone with the same brush shows a complete lack of insight and I hope this thread has opened the eyes of people who only knew bludgers and thought of everyone as being the same.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Once you pay tax it is no longer your money.'

If I think about it, I am most happy about the tax we pay to go to supporting people's choices (stay at home with children, work, whatever floats your boat) and to those less fortunate (refugees, people who need a hand for whatever reason.)

This actually makes me so sad. People are not worth what they earn or don't earn. People are not dollar signs. I mean it, some of the attitudes make me sick to my stomach. You are not more important because you pay 'this much' tax. Most of us posting here are extremely priveleged compared to others in this country and the rest of the world.

What happened to being human?

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

beebs  (10-07-2013),ChickyBee  (10-07-2013),LoveLivesHere  (10-07-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (10-07-2013),Mathermy  (14-07-2013),Purple Lily  (10-07-2013),Turk EnJayDee  (10-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The OP asked if SAHM should get as much governement support as working parents (i.e. PPL). A lot of people (including SAHMs) responded that no they shouldn't get as much.

We then all acknowledged that SAHP in fact don't get as much, so surely we are all in agreement here??

I don't think anyone is begrudging the amount that low income families, or single parent families, or indeed any families in need get. I don't really get what there is to be offended about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you referring to me being offended?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not in particular.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok because I have no reason to be offended at all, I'm not a sahm. I just hate the way people view each other these days. It grieves me no end

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

beebs  (10-07-2013)