+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 301
  1. #271
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,311
    Thanks
    2,387
    Thanked
    4,599
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by upforroundtwo View Post
    so sorry didn't mean to derail your high horse.

    I actually don't live in aussie, used to. but don't now. I now live in a country where a couple who collectively earns over $48k is deemed to have more money than those needing assistance. So yes I fight for every single cent I get.

    From my understanding fathers now get money when babies are born, families are entitle to ftb??? anyone over a reasonable(actually anyone over $150k is not reasonable it is ridiculous) threshold shouldn't get anything.

    It isn't about value. I couldn't actually afford not to work. But meh, pick it to bits, am far too tired from working 9 days in a row to not get any govt support to give a ****
    Well it IS about value when you start talking about paying tax and someone else doesn't and therefore they don't deserve assistance. Sorry, but that's the crux of your argument.

    Noone has suggested families earning large amounts of money should receive assistance - no matter whether one or two parents work. That's an argument for another thread

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (09-07-2013),LoveLivesHere  (09-07-2013),Mathermy  (14-07-2013),peanutmonkey  (09-07-2013)

  3. #272
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,816
    Thanks
    379
    Thanked
    389
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I will start off with saying that I do understand what your intended point was. But what you are saying is those who pay the most tax, should be receiving the most in benefits. So the higher your income the higher the benefits you should receive. People who don't pay tax can't expect the same benefits that those who do pay tax get - by your logic high income earners should receive more benefits then lower income earners.

    And I also fail to see how a the total tax paid by a double income family is somehow more worthy of benefits then a single income family.

    Quote Originally Posted by upforroundtwo View Post
    Seriously not sure how people with any logic think there is actually an argument in this. And this is not to say I undervalue the SAHM at all, I personally couldn't do it.

    But if someone is working and paying tax, how is it fair to them that someone NOT working and NOT paying tax gets the same support as them.

    If I could afford not to work and look after my kids I would and I would be grateful, the small amount of support from the govt that working mums get wouldn't make a difference.

    I don't use the public health system, I have private health, I pay good tax on my wages, I see it as the one thing I can really get back for my tax.

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pina Colada For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (09-07-2013),beebs  (10-07-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (10-07-2013),MissMuppet  (10-07-2013),NancyBlackett  (09-07-2013)

  5. #273
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Why should tax payers have to support the PHI rebate? If you want it, you should pay for it. Blah, blah, blah. At the end of the day, I bet not one person is completely happy about where every tax dollar goes. But that is what living in a society is all about.

    This whole "my tax dollar" stuff is just so stupid. It really is, I hear it a lot in relation to refugees.

  6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Anjalee  (09-07-2013),Ffrenchknickers  (10-07-2013),LoveLivesHere  (09-07-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (09-07-2013),Mathermy  (14-07-2013),MissMuppet  (10-07-2013)

  7. #274
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Why should tax payers have to support the PHI rebate? If you want it, you should pay for it.
    .
    Because if everyone went public instead of private the taxpayer would be paying a lot more for a health system that would probably buckle under pressure.

    A small initial outlay to save the whole system from going up the crapper...

  8. #275
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Well instead of paying a rebate, put that into hospitals.

  9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (09-07-2013),dancingchipmunk  (09-07-2013),delirium  (09-07-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (09-07-2013),peanutmonkey  (09-07-2013)

  10. #276
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh yeah, that old chestnut - exactly what they say about private schools. You'd be amazed at the level of public education in some countries. And just like the Public health system - it is all about how much the government of the day is willing to put into it.

    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Because if everyone went public instead of private the taxpayer would be paying a lot more for a health system that would probably buckle under pressure.

    A small initial outlay to save the whole system from going up the crapper...

  11. #277
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Well instead of paying a rebate, put that into hospitals.
    A hospital that every Tom **** and Harry would use ... And that the taxpayer would pay for?

    Private health insurance is about encouraging those that are a little better off to pay for their own healthcare. Spending a little to encourage this will save the government a heap down the track. It's why private schools still get some funding.

    The problem is the phi system is so crappy (stuff all rebate and lots of out of pocket expenses) that people like me have phi (so as not to pay a Medicare surcharge) and yet get treated as a public patient because to go private is too expensive.

    In summary we're all screwed...

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

    gonnabeaGR8mum  (10-07-2013)

  13. #278
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    10,012
    Thanks
    14,124
    Thanked
    7,612
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    When I'm working where 'my' tax goes doesn't even cross my mind, I use parks, roads, swimming pools, I attend hospitals, gps and use the medicare system.

    If there's any left after it covers my costs to public I don't care if it goes to welfare
    Sae here, that was the point I was making. I don't think I have ever in my whole life said or thought "I don't want my tax dollar going there". I am sure if I dug into it a bit there would be things I wouldn't necessarily agree with - but at the end of the day -that is how our society is run.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

    Mathermy  (14-07-2013)

  15. #279
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    A hospital that every Tom **** and Harry would use ... And that the taxpayer would pay for?

    Private health insurance is about encouraging those that are a little better off to pay for their own healthcare. Spending a little to encourage this will save the government a heap down the track. It's why private schools still get some funding.

    The problem is the phi system is so crappy (stuff all rebate and lots of out of pocket expenses) that people like me have phi (so as not to pay a Medicare surcharge) and yet get treated as a public patient because to go private is too expensive.

    In summary we're all screwed...
    We have John Howard to thank for that

    Yep, private health insurance is for those who can afford it. So the rebate should go altogether. Fwiw, I have full phi but have gone public with all my babies as I think spending money on an obstetrician is the biggest crock there is.

    And IMO so are elite private schools.

    I certainly don't think I am below others because I'm a public patient and my children will attend public schools.

    I've had phi for years. My son had a procedure done as a private patient which we were not out of pocket for and I can't say he was treated better or worse as a private patient.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 09-07-2013 at 19:17.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    beebs  (10-07-2013)

  17. #280
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    360
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    102
    Reviews
    0
    I chose private schooling in the past, but from what I understand the private schools still get a lot of government funding. The current school is public and it's an ok school but I do send in exercise books and packs of pencils to the teacher because so many of the kids are going without essentials, that coupled with the school itself having limited resources and fewer support staff than needed and the lower grading kids are really going to suffer. I fully support more government funding in public schools. I'm happy with the school as a whole but also have a child who is able to learn and function despite those barriers. I can also afford and am willing to pay for private tutoring if necessary but haven't had any problems. I look at the school we came from and how much they had, like iPads in the classrooms, a laptop for each of the students, all the buildings being upgraded over the Summer holidays, a groundskeeper who was there full time, things I took for granted before, these are not available at the public school that is flat out buying paper for the photocopier.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Working in Government - what has been your experience?
    By eMBe in forum Working Hubbers - Employed
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 10-07-2013, 18:06
  2. Any other working mums with SAHD?
    By SingaporeSling in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25-06-2013, 10:35
  3. Kindergarten and working mums
    By hansmum in forum 3 year olds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-09-2012, 22:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Pebblebee
Parents spend hours looking for things they need NOW. The keys, the remote, darling daughter's treasured teddy. Stop wasting precious time looking & start finding with Bub Hub reviewed Pebblebee Smart Tag. Simply attach a Pebblebee and find it fast.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
KindyROO
KindyROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. Classes are available at three Brisbane and two Gold Coast locations. Enrol today & help your child to reach their full potential. Visit the website to find out more.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!