+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I don't like how they kick everyone onto Newstart though. I have a (single mum) friend who has had to defer Uni because she can't afford to live on Newstart so had to go and get a low paying job. She has one year left to go. I think that is very unfair, herself and her family would stand a much better chance if she was educated, and rely one welfare less etc.
    Wouldn't she be on Austudy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Not sure, but I just had a look up and Newstart and Austudy are the same but Single parenting pension is more. She was saying that she was only just scraping through on single parenting payment. Now there is just no way. The payment is just too low.

I cant believe anyone can survive on any of those rates in the first place. Must be very difficult.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post

I cant believe anyone can survive on any of those rates in the first place. Must be very difficult.
    Unfortunately, that is the point. Whilst I don't agree with it, the Government's thought process was like "well, if they can't survive on it, they will have to work" and of course assumed it was p**s easy to get a job, which we all know isn't always the case.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lillynix For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-07-2013),dancingchipmunk  (09-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    But I don't think it is unrealistic for someone with a partner and school age children to look for part time work if their family needs the extra money.
    Yes, I do agree. But from my perspective I support that more so the woman has super and is at least partially self sufficient in old age if her marriage falls apart. Not bc I think she 'should' work. Under the current arrangements though, if a SAHP is on SSP or PPP they do need to look for work or study. I think some are glossing over this. As I have said, there are no SAHP's out there solely living off benefits not doing anything once the child is at school. So they are doing something.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

beebs  (09-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Seriously not sure how people with any logic think there is actually an argument in this. And this is not to say I undervalue the SAHM at all, I personally couldn't do it.

But if someone is working and paying tax, how is it fair to them that someone NOT working and NOT paying tax gets the same support as them.

If I could afford not to work and look after my kids I would and I would be grateful, the small amount of support from the govt that working mums get wouldn't make a difference.

I don't use the public health system, I have private health, I pay good tax on my wages, I see it as the one thing I can really get back for my tax.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    But you still aren't getting my point. you believe people shouldn't need assistance to pay for their children. That alone, I don't agree with, but can accept. But what you are saying is that SAHM's (whose partners are often working and paying tax) should stand on their own two feet, while 2 income families on double the income are happy to take thousands in support. Can you not see the disparity here? If a single income family on 60k should make it on their own, surely a 2 income family on double should certainly be able to make it on their own?
    I see your point Delirium, and think its a good one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by upforroundtwo View Post
    Seriously not sure how people with any logic think there is actually an argument in this. And this is not to say I undervalue the SAHM at all, I personally couldn't do it.

But if someone is working and paying tax, how is it fair to them that someone NOT working and NOT paying tax gets the same support as them.
    I don't think any of the SAHM's have disagreed with this?

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (09-07-2013),beebs  (09-07-2013),peanutmonkey  (09-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I don't think any of the SAHM's have disagreed with this?

I think the one in the original post did.... otherwise their wouldn't have been a post

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by upforroundtwo View Post

Hmm. If you follow that logic through then surely the people who pay the most tax should get the most returned to them in payments? Which would mean low income families would suffer while high income families received the bulk of tax payer family support.

In terms of getting 'value' for tax dollars - why do you automatically dismiss the tax paid by the primary income earner in a household where one parent stays at home? Are they not entitled to similar 'value' as someone who happens to be a member of a dual income family?

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (09-07-2013),beebs  (09-07-2013),dancingchipmunk  (09-07-2013),delirium  (09-07-2013),LoveLivesHere  (09-07-2013),peanutmonkey  (09-07-2013),Purple Lily  (09-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Hmm. If you follow that logic through then surely the people who pay the most tax should get the most returned to them in payments? Which would mean low income families would suffer while high income families received the bulk of tax payer family support.

In terms of getting 'value' for tax dollars - why do you automatically dismiss the tax paid by the primary income earner in a household where one parent stays at home? Are they not entitled to similar 'value' as someone who happens to be a member of a dual income family?
    so sorry didn't mean to derail your high horse.

I actually don't live in aussie, used to. but don't now. I now live in a country where a couple who collectively earns over $48k is deemed to have more money than those needing assistance. So yes I fight for every single cent I get.

From my understanding fathers now get money when babies are born, families are entitle to ftb??? anyone over a reasonable(actually anyone over $150k is not reasonable it is ridiculous) threshold shouldn't get anything.

It isn't about value. I couldn't actually afford not to work. But meh, pick it to bits, am far too tired from working 9 days in a row to not get any govt support to give a ****