+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    The comparison wasn't about the relative benefit to individuals, it was about the cost to the Budget.

Family tax payments are given to anyone who is eligible - working or not. As I mentioned earlier, they are essentially a tax return received throughout the year instead of families having to wait until the end of the financial year.

They are based on family income, not individual income. If one family earns $80k with both parents working and another family earns $80k with one parent working, why should the second family not be entitled to the same amount of tax assistance as the first family? Because the argument that the first family deserve it more because they both pay tax doesn't really cut it when you compare the amount of tax paid by both families.
    Firstly, FTB is only available to single income households, so double income families are not eligible for part B of the payment.

Secondly, if the government wants to ensure that the tax rates are based on household income rather than individual income, this should be done consistently across the community, not as special treatment for households with a SAHP. In this case we would have a standard household tax rate that applies to all households regardless of the number of income earners or whether they have children. So, for example, if you have 3 workers in the household their individual tax rates would actually be higher. Not sure I think this is a good idea, but it is consistent with what you are saying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Taking the burden off childcare centres? It is hard enough to get a place if someone desperately needs one. Where I used to live the waiting list was 3 and a half years. Totally unacceptable - especially for those that had to return to work. Until there are far more childcare centres, with no waiting lists that are far more affordable. I would have thought it would be in everyones best interests that some people don't want to put their kids in and take up valuable spaces.
    I think we were talking about school age children here, but anyway, wouldn't it make more sense to fund more childcare places rather than give payments to people who don't need it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Taking the burden off childcare centres? It is hard enough to get a place if someone desperately needs one. Where I used to live the waiting list was 3 and a half years. Totally unacceptable - especially for those that had to return to work. Until there are far more childcare centres, with no waiting lists that are far more affordable. I would have thought it would be in everyones best interests that some people don't want to put their kids in and take up valuable spaces.

Totally agree with this. I love our child card centre and have already put bub #2 on the waiting list for when I return to work PT next year a couple of days a week. When I asked about it they said to definitely put her name down now because they currently have a wait list of over a year for babies. It's insane!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How do you know that people don't need it?

Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    I think we were talking about school age children here, but anyway, wouldn't it make more sense to fund more childcare places rather than give payments to people who don't need it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    Firstly, FTB is only available to single income households, so double income families are not eligible for part B of the payment.

Secondly, if the government wants to ensure that the tax rates are based on household income rather than individual income, this should be done consistently across the community, not as special treatment for households with a SAHP. In this case we would have a standard household tax rate that applies to all households regardless of the number of income earners or whether they have children. So, for example, if you have 3 workers in the household their individual tax rates would actually be higher. Not sure I think this is a good idea, but it is consistent with what you are saying.

Yes they are, if the lower income earner falls under the cut off they can still receive FTB part B. I was working part time before DS2 was born and I earnt under the threshold and I received it

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've just looked at the Human Services page. Dual income families can receive FTB part B.

And yes, you would see I mentioned earlier I am in favour of tax reforms that would see this ridiculous debate over 'them' getting more than 'us' in payments end.

Rather than relying on tax being retuned to families through a payment system it would be done through a more sophisticated tax system that sees families pay less tax and keep more of their income in the first instance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If we are talking about only those with school aged kids, then my previous comment stands. There needs to be more flexibility in the work force to accommodate working parents. Right now, there are very few jobs that are ok with people starting before 9 and ending for school pick up, and those that are offered get snapped up in an instant.

Sure, there will be people who will say, put your kids in before and after school care and holiday care. When I was young, we had no choice, my brother and I had before and after school care and holiday care and I hated it. I hated it, I felt like I never got to spend enough time with my mum. And it still upsets me thinking about it today - I am almost 36.

There has to be a balance, flexible working hours, affordable childcare etc etc.

It doesn't sound like there are any payments for SAHP after they reach school age anyway. So why are we even having this conversation? They go onto Newstart, just like any other jobseeker. And I believe that when you are on Newstart it is actually very tough to sit around and do nothing all day, you actually need to show that you are actively seeking work.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (09-07-2013),LoveLivesHere  (09-07-2013),NancyBlackett  (09-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Depending on your incone dual income families can receive ftb a & b and rent assistance if renting. I did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So why are we even having this conversation?
    yes, why indeed!

If we go way back, my only point was that if you are able to work, but you *choose* not to, there is no reason for the government to fund that decision. There are many reasons why people can't work, and I am all for the government supporting those people during those times.

Nancy, I completely agree that the tax system needs an overhaul to make it fairer and to ensure that people who need help get it, and those that don't, don't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't like how they kick everyone onto Newstart though. I have a (single mum) friend who has had to defer Uni because she can't afford to live on Newstart so had to go and get a low paying job. She has one year left to go. I think that is very unfair, herself and her family would stand a much better chance if she was educated, and rely one welfare less etc.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (09-07-2013)