+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg2 View Post
    I think people are saying that it only an issue if it IS being funded by the government. I don't think anyone is making any comments about what people do with their own money.
    ^^ Exactly this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Delirium, I don't really understand what you are finding offensive about Starlight's posts. She's been very clear about that fact that she has nothing against SAHMs. She is merely stating that it shouldn't be a lifestyle that is supported financially by the government. Do you disagree with that?
    Yes and no. What I'm saying is that everyone gets benefits from the govt in some way. I have never accessed the first home buyers grant. It could be argued that if people can afford a mortgage they should fund their own deposit?

Again, mothers need to look for work or study once their oldest is 6 or 8. Yes before that some SAHM's get paid to stay at home. But that mother may not get the PHI rebate, buy a house or use CC, all those things are tax payer funded. Everyone benefits in some way.

I don't necessarily find her posts offensive and I have tried to remain polite. Clearly we have different views which is fine so we are discussing?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (08-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I think it's the implication that unless a woman goes back to work when her children are school aged then she is having her 'lifestyle' funded by the government that is getting peoples' backs up.
    I'm not implying this at all. But for the ones that do, why is this so ok with everyone??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Light View Post
    No you're not discussing it, you are putting words in my mouth and accusing me of saying or inferring things that I haven't. (oh and it takes a lot more than this to make me cranky by the way).
    sighs ok fair enough. I have not put words in your mouth at all, I have directly quoted everything you have said. Anyhoo, I won't discuss with you anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Surely though, FTB 'funds' anyone who receives it? So a working mother who receives it is also having her lifestyle 'funded'.

When it was first introduced it was designed to give families a - so to speak - tax deduction in advance.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, working families have the benefit of two tax-free thresholds and therefore a lower marginal tax rate. I suspect that $36k a year before having to pay tax probably cancels out any extra FTB a mother with school aged children might be receiving.

This 'she gets more from the government' than me stuff is such utter nonsense. It's exactly like the 'well at least i am raising my own children' nonsense that gets trotted out in other threads.

Our tax system is in dire need to serious reform.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-07-2013),beebs  (08-07-2013),dancingchipmunk  (09-07-2013),delirium  (08-07-2013),kw123  (08-07-2013),LoveLivesHere  (08-07-2013),peanutmonkey  (08-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Yes and no. What I'm saying is that everyone gets benefits from the govt in some way. I have never accessed the first home buyers grant. It could be argued that if people can afford a mortgage they should fund their own deposit?

Again, mothers need to look for work or study once their oldest is 6 or 8. Yes before that some SAHM's get paid to stay at home. But that mother may not get the PHI rebate, buy a house or use CC, all those things are tax payer funded. Everyone benefits in some way.

I don't necessarily find her posts offensive and I have tried to remain polite. Clearly we have different views which is fine so we are discussing?
    I don't agree that *everyone* should be entitled to some type of payment from the government. Subsidies and welfare are for specific purposes, and our goal should be to find ways to make people independant of them, not saying that everyone should get them in some form or another.
    IMO there has to be a good reason for the government payments. Subsidies like PHI are introduced to encourage certain behaviour that will benefit the economy, ie to take pressure off the public system. Similarly, PPL encourages women to stay in the workforce by allowing them to take time off for a couple of months after the birth of their child. I can't think of any similar reason for funding a SAHP who has the capacity to earn their own income.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Meg2 For This Useful Post:

Kymbo32  (10-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't agree that *everyone* should be entitled to some type of payment from the government. Subsidies and welfare are for specific purposes, and our goal should be to find ways to make people independant of them, not saying that everyone should get them in some form or another.
    IMO there has to be a good reason for the government payments. Subsidies like PHI are introduced to encourage certain behaviour that will benefit the economy, ie to take pressure off the public system. Similarly, PPL encourages women to stay in the workforce by allowing them to take time off for a couple of months after the birth of their child. I can't think of any similar reason for funding a SAHP who has the capacity to earn their own income.
    Thankyou, you are saying exactly what I mean (just way more eloquently LOL).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    As Missie and nancy have said, FTB is not paid solely to SAHM's and also have a function, which is to even out the playing field tax wise for single income families like ours. As to SPP and PP, they have a shelf life and are only paid to low income families. I know a few single mums that are working 3 days a week and still getting some Newstart bc their income is still low.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have the capacity to work once I've had children however it would only be in a casual role which (we have worked out) would actually cost us more in terms of childcare than I would be making! We don't have family who can help out so I will be a SAHM until my children are in full time schooling at which point I will try to find a full time job once again. I have never claimed anything in terms of benefits and I have paid taxes so I don't see why I shouldn't benefit from that when I do actually need it. However, I do understand the argument that these payments should not be used to make having children a 'job' as such. I don't know much about how it works here but in the UK its ridiculous how many women (and men) have no intention of working and just claim benefits when those who do have children and work are unable to claim anywhere near as much and struggle to make ends meet still.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    But not everyone IS entitled to payments. It is means tested and reduces quite significantly the higher the household income.

I haven't looked at the rates for a very long time but I would hazard a guess that unless a family has a large number of children the amount of FTB they would receive wouldn't go anywhere near funding a parent to stay at home.

In the same way PPL doesn't go anywhere near funding parental leave for anyone who is earning above the minimum wage.

Both contribute to the costs involved, but don't in any way cover them.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-07-2013),LoveLivesHere  (08-07-2013),Mathermy  (08-07-2013),Stiflers Mom  (08-07-2013)