+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 312
  1. #181
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    886
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked
    79
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    [QUOTE=Star Light;7331500]There are a lot of people saying "why should you go back to work" but I am asking why shouldn't you go back to work or look for work? Or how about we make it fair for everyone. QUOTE] yep I agree

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to second baby not so easy For This Useful Post:

    Star Light  (08-07-2013)

  3. #182
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    487
    Thanks
    321
    Thanked
    266
    Reviews
    0
    Yes so disappointing that we can't all have the same opinions. Read it however you like but no-one is bagging SAHM's. For gods sake, I am saying I would love to be one! I actually don't believe anyone should be receiving government support (especially long-term) unless they truly need it and anybody that can work should be (or looking) or studying. Not just SAHM's! Whether that's casual, part-time or full-time. I can think of a million things that money could be better spent on. But anyway, don't be too disappointed - it seems I am the only one left here with that opinion.

  4. #183
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11,313
    Thanks
    1,749
    Thanked
    1,815
    Reviews
    24
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Light View Post
    There are a lot of people saying "why should you go back to work" but I am asking why shouldn't you go back to work or look for work? Or how about we make it fair for everyone. For example those with a mortgage, who wouldn't be able to keep up with house repayments on a single income (plus government benefits). How bout the government pay the minimum amount to those families to "meet basic needs" as someone put it so those mums can stay home and volunteer at tuckshop too?
    It would cost us money for me to work and its not uncommon. Dp earns over the threshold. We get no centrelink assistance and may not even get the baby bonus. So I'm not looking for work as we'd be worse off.

    Sent from my GT-P7500 using BubHub

  5. #184
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    487
    Thanks
    321
    Thanked
    266
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    It would cost us money for me to work and its not uncommon. Dp earns over the threshold. We get no centrelink assistance and may not even get the baby bonus. So I'm not looking for work as we'd be worse off.

    Sent from my GT-P7500 using BubHub
    Thankyou for answering However I am talking about people who are receiving government payments instead of working (which you are not). You say this is not uncommon though - is this because of the high cost of childcare do you think?

  6. #185
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,848
    Thanks
    6,201
    Thanked
    16,895
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Light View Post
    There are a lot of people saying "why should you go back to work" but I am asking why shouldn't you go back to work or look for work? Or how about we make it fair for everyone. For example those with a mortgage, who wouldn't be able to keep up with house repayments on a single income (plus government benefits). How bout the government pay the minimum amount to those families to "meet basic needs" as someone put it so those mums can stay home and volunteer at tuckshop too?
    I'm confused. You have strongly criticised SAHM's, then say middle income families (who are earning enough to even get a mortgage) should be paid to stay home? Honestly not being nasty, but which one do you want?

    I think it was you saying you wanted to be a SAHM. With respect, maybe some of these ill feelings you have are jealousy?? I don't mean that in a mean way at all, just trying to understand. Many of us have made sacrifices to stay home. We rent and probably won't buy for several years by the time we save for a deposit. So I suppose it's a choice. if you want the nice house, then sometimes you need 2 incomes. if you want to be at home lower your expenses, live more frugally. I know sometimes it's not that simple, but sometimes it is. Unless you are earning a big income, by the time you take out CC you pay, petrol to work, uniforms, and lower your expenses, plus some FTB now your income is lower and you are on about the same.

    I hope that all didn't read as b*tchy, that wasn't my intention
    Last edited by delirium; 08-07-2013 at 15:52.

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

    atomicmama  (08-07-2013),beebs  (08-07-2013),lambjam  (08-07-2013)

  8. #186
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    2,174
    Thanks
    284
    Thanked
    576
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So kids don't cost anything once they ho back to school?

    What does a mum do who can't get work in school hours? Pay for after school care just so she can go and work and take little pay home? ? Didn't someone mention that afterschool care is like $60?? Thats like half a days pay for some ppl!! Imagine that times 3!!


    Do u realky think there are enough jobs out there for every single person to have a job? ? Aren't u hearing on the news of places closing down and ppl losing their jobs??

    And being a sahm is not just about being able to volunteer at the school canteen. Who will pick up kids from school everyday? ?

  9. #187
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,180
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Light View Post
    Yes so disappointing that we can't all have the same opinions. Read it however you like but no-one is bagging SAHM's. For gods sake, I am saying I would love to be one! I actually don't believe anyone should be receiving government support (especially long-term) unless they truly need it and anybody that can work should be (or looking) or studying. Not just SAHM's! Whether that's casual, part-time or full-time. I can think of a million things that money could be better spent on. But anyway, don't be too disappointed - it seems I am the only one left here with that opinion.
    I totally agree and get what your saying

  10. #188
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    487
    Thanks
    321
    Thanked
    266
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I'm confused. You have strongly criticised SAHM's, then say middle income families (who are earning enough to even get a mortgage) should be paid to stay home? Honestly not being nasty, but which one do you want?

    I think it was you saying you wanted to be a SAHM. With respect, maybe some of these ill feelings you have are jealousy?? I don't mean that in a mean way at all, just trying to understand. Many of us have made sacrifices to stay home. We rent and probably won't buy for several years by the time we save for a deposit. So I suppose it's a choice. if you want the nice house, then sometimes you need 2 incomes. if you want to be at home lower your expenses, live more frugally. I know sometimes it's not that simple, but sometimes it is. Unless you are earning a big income, by the time you take out CC you pay, petrol to work, uniforms, and lower your expenses, plus some FTB now your income is lower and you are on about the same.

    I hope that all didn't read as b*tchy, that wasn't my intention
    Wow ok. Have you actually read my posts? Because if you had you would see that I have repeatedly said that I am not at all criticizing SAHM's or the important job they do at all!! Please tell me where you think I have?? I am simply of the opinion that if you make the decision to be a SAHM, then you shouldn't solely rely on the government to fund that decision. As I have also said before, I don't believe anyone should be receiving government support unless they truly need it. I am totally open to changing my opinion on this but so far no-one has given any good reason to. As for being jealous, as much as would love to be a full time SAHM, I have totally accepted that this is not an option for my family and I am fine with that. Work to me is just a part of life and if you are able to work then you should, rather than relying on the government to support you. As for my post that you quoted, I was just trying to prove a point, which you obviously didn't get (totally not trying to be b*tchy either, just my opinions).

  11. #189
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,622
    Thanks
    916
    Thanked
    1,180
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KassMeow View Post
    As a working mum who pays taxes I sure am going to accept the cheaper daycare so I can actually go to work and support my family. So don't even try to debate me on that one. I don't get Ftb a or b or rent assistance or whatever else everyone else seems to get. I could be a sahm and get way more from the government but hey, that's not who I am.
    Well said

  12. #190
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,311
    Thanks
    2,387
    Thanked
    4,599
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Threads like these just remind me why I so firmly of the view that we shouldn't have family payments at all - it should all be dealt with through a more sophisticated tax system than we already have.

    Then we eliminate this ugly tit for tat and it will also resolve existing anomalies in the system (for example single income families paying a higher marginal tax rate than dual income families).

  13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

    lambjam  (08-07-2013),mrsd  (08-07-2013),Pina Colada  (08-07-2013),Star Light  (08-07-2013),Stiflers Mom  (08-07-2013)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Working in Government - what has been your experience?
    By eMBe in forum Working Hubbers - Employed
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 10-07-2013, 18:06
  2. Any other working mums with SAHD?
    By SingaporeSling in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 25-06-2013, 10:35
  3. Kindergarten and working mums
    By hansmum in forum 3 year olds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-09-2012, 22:59

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Bamboo Lulu
Unique, non-toxic wooden eco toys for babies. Water-based paints, saliva-resistant & baby safe. Super soft, prints & basics for baby, made from bamboo & organic cotton. Hypoallergenic - great for eczema relief. FREE gift with purchase. Code BUBHUB
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
The Fix Program Sydney CBD and Broadway
Pregnancy and women's health physio, pregnancy and new mum Pilates classes taught by our physios for you and bub. Pregnancy back and pelvic pain. Also, we treat postnatal and women of all ages. Incontinence, prolapse, sexual and pelvic pain.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!