+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 32 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't forget long term. I personally know someone who has virtually never worked. She lives in government housing, gets as much government assistance as possible. Never wants to work.
    When she is at retiring age and for pension what then? She has no super, she has no partner. Nothing like that, my family took in her elderest and when she moved away for her job she took her brother. But her sister is still with the mum and is home schooled ( I don't have anything against home schooling) she young girl knows nothing, she would never be able to find work and will probably end up like the mum who got pregnant with children to all different fathers for the benefits
    Or the people who never return to work then whinge the government doesn't pay them enough in supplements or in allowances.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't 'blame' you for your opinions Cassie but I do feel we need to be held accountable for our own prejudice and quite frankly maybe you need to reconsider the company you keep?

I personally don't know anyone like that, single, SAHM or otherwise but if I did I'm sure it would probably irritate me. If it bothers you as much as it seems to I would be making the move to distance yourself from these people and focus on your own life more so as to ease your frustration and resentment.

3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mathermy For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-07-2013),beebs  (08-07-2013),Boobycino  (08-07-2013),ChickyBee  (08-07-2013),delirium  (08-07-2013),GrabbyCrabby  (08-07-2013),LotusMum  (08-07-2013),Pesca77  (08-07-2013),Purple Lily  (08-07-2013),Turk EnJayDee  (08-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    To be fair, I apologize for some of my comments... But with my experiences of sahm can you really blame me?
    Yes. There are some good parents and some lazy parents. Most are good parents though. Working doesn't make someone better or worse, staying home doesn't make someone better or worse. To make judgements like that is way out of line. I have worked for 20 years, and am not relying on government money to stay home at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Am I crazy for assuming that what SAHM's receive the government is well below the average salary in Australia? I just can't understand what the issue is when even with government help their income is nowhere near what it could be?! If someone was receiving net pmt $5000 per month in benefits then yes I would be annoyed because there would be no incentive to work and majority of ppl wouldn't see the need to return to work.

Someone also mentioned that if you are a SAHM you have to find work once your child is in school because they cut benefits so they really would only be able to do that with a spouse to rely on. The government doesn't help them so I don't see any harm.

If my mum never returned to work I wouldn't have judged her. She was at home for 20 years raising my sister and I and my dad supported her (he had very set views on the role of a mother and told her if she wanted kids she had to give up work). The only part that bothers me is seeing her now. They divorced and she had to support herself. Re-entering the work force after being out of it for 20 years - sooo difficult. So why wouldn't she just rely on government help instead of working? Getting Centrelink payments aren't really enough to live off. Not if she wants to have her own roof over her head, have a new reliable car, be able to go out and enjoy life and spend time doing hobbies she enjoys.

My point is - people receiving government assistance aren't really better off than others so I don't get why it's frustrating. For those that go and by alcohol and ciggies with their payments then fair enough. If that's the life they are happy with then who cares? I would never be happy with that life but some are. Maybe that's enough for them? Maybe they don't want more than that and therefore have no desire to work for more money. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just different.

Two girls, one dream and baby you are it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    Yes I do... And I get annoyed with parents who CAN'T afford it. I don't care if parents make sacrifices (hubby working away, moving for work, etc) to supplement the lost income & have the ability to be a sahm.... Realistically, my partner earns more than enough for me to stay at home & we aren't entitled to anything from the government.. And if I stayed at home that would be my choice.. But I think once a child is at school & is past the point of needing someone to look after them all day.. I don't think it's completely outrageous & unbelievable to expect a sahm to seek employment if she can...

I really hate the attitude that oh why would I work when the government pays me just as much.

Maybe it's just that every single stay at home mum I know has left me with an incredibly bad taste in my mouth.

1. Has her child only 50% off the time, always whinging about not having any money (no reason why she can't find a job - when she only has her son 50% off the time).. Yet instead she spends that time getting stoned & drinking. Oh, and she also gets stoned while she's at home with her son all day... So I'm paying for her to sit at home with her son while she's stoned. Not productive.

2. I have previously spoken about. All kids are in school, she constantly whiners about not being able to pay her bills, yet she's always got her nails done, new clothes, and goes out for dinner 2-3 times a week. She also talks to me about how her children have lots of learning difficulties.. Yet she's more concerned about finding a new boyfriend to make her feel good about herself then spending time helping her kids.

3. Is a sahm who also never has any money. Yet they both smoke, drink & take drugs. Constantly asking to borrow money & always expecting us to shout them every time we go somewhere.

I have absolutely nothing against SAHMS if you can afford to do so, and you aren't just completely rorting this system..

To be fair, I apologize for some of my comments... But with my experiences of sahm can you really blame me?
    See... I wouldn't let that leave a bad taste about SAHMs... Those people are deadsh!ts... They would be with or without kids. That'd make me hate bludgers and druggies more....

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-07-2013),beebs  (08-07-2013),delirium  (08-07-2013),giggle berry  (08-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Cassieh - you can't possible believe that those three people are in any way reflective of most SAHM's?!

Sounds like you really need some new friends to be honest. I wouldn't have people like that anywhere near my life.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (08-07-2013),beebs  (08-07-2013),delirium  (08-07-2013),Lincolns mummy  (08-07-2013),peanutmonkey  (08-07-2013),Pesca77  (08-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cassieh - it sounds like you are hanging out with some real ferals and need some new friends!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (08-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    Cassieh - it sounds like you are hanging out with some real ferals and need some new friends!
    They aren't friends of mine. Unfortunately they are part of dps extended family. Luckily he is nothing like them. But because they are family it's hard to cut ties.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Rainbowbabe: the cutting off payments thing is for single parents. Once your child hits school age then you have to look work as your payments drop to a certain amount. That's pp. You'd still gey ftb's. You can get ftb till your child is 18 as long as they are living with you in your care.

And yes your right about the little payments...without anything extra like a carer's payment or rent assistance you'd be getting approx $310 a fortnight. ..also cause of added clean energy supplement too. It's not much at all and obviously for a reason otherwise alot more women would be not working.

I agree with others. ..those friends of yours cassieh would have that lifestyle whether they had kids or not.... they just Unfortunately have kids in the picture. I can understand why you feel that way about sahm but I'm sure your intelligent enough to know those women are not the norm. Also 50% care doesn't entitle you to 100% benefits.

Looks like it's screwed up your pereceotion of sahm and the reality of the life it involves. You might end up wanting to be a sahm later when your son gets older, you never know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This thread goes to show that just like every other "parenting" related topics everyone likes to judge each other. Until recently I was a full time sahm. Now I work 3 nights a week. Luckily for me I don't have to sacrifice time with my kids to do so. Do I need to work? Nope. My DH earns enough that I wouldn't have to. But I wanted to work just not at the expense of being away from my kids so night job it was. Had I not been able o find a night job I would not be working, simple. I think to judge a parent on wether they work or stay at home is crazy, like it affects you In any way.

As for ppl being more then bb yes it is and it should be.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonsterMoosMum For This Useful Post:

Firsttimemummabear  (29-07-2013),Turk EnJayDee  (08-07-2013)