+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MMelissa View Post
    The comment about two-income families "taking thousands" in welfare doesn't appreciate how much these families contribute to social welfare by the high taxes they pay. The balance remains disproportionately in the govt's favour when you compare the tax I've paid and the welfare I've received for having a child. Two-income families often pay almost half their income in tax and childcare and getting a few thousand back when you give birth is not really a hand out, but a well timed minor tax rebate.
    I think you have misunderstood what I was trying to say. I have zero issue with PPL, infact I wholeheartedly support it. My comment about getting thousands was in relation to another comment that SAHM families should not be getting govt support. My point was that some working mums are more than happy to take PPL but begrudge BB which is much less.

PPL isn't always advantageous to the govt. As with my example of the family I know that are living on govt benefits, she works 1 day a week, so pays zero tax. Has a baby every 18 months and gets PPL. The govt are actually losing money. And truth be told, I know several families that do this - who are getting more govt assistance, both fortnightly than us, then adding in the PPL. You only have to work 6 hours a week to qualify of course a woman working 40 hours a week is fully earning her payments. But lets not kid ourselves that this family is more of a drain than our single income SAHM household.
    Last edited by delirium; 06-07-2013 at 21:23.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (06-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    I'm not talking about people who don't need the money.
    So only rich people are allowed to be sahm?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

gonnabeaGR8mum  (07-07-2013),LoveLivesHere  (07-07-2013),SoThisIsLove  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    I'm not talking about people who don't need the money.
    Hmmm... so if I've worked for say 15 or so years. .. had a baby. .. take ppl. Then decide I want to stay home but still get some welfare payments... then I should look for work because I can't afford it?? And so I should work and not get family assistance from the government because I can't afford to stay home without it??

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

SoThisIsLove  (07-07-2013),Turk EnJayDee  (07-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm all for people being SAHMs, but what is the baby bonus for exactly? The PPL is to supplement the income that a working mum is losing as a direct result of taking time off following the birth of a child. As stated, I'm not going to be losing an income by giving birth this time, whereas I did first time around when there wasn't any baby bonus or paid parental leave and people had to rely on their own savings to see them through. Because I won't be losing an income, and babies don't actually require all that much, what is it for? It was to encourage older working couples to have babies, but now that PPL is in place, it takes the place of the Baby Bonus. The FTB portion will increase with an additional child to help cover the cost of extras like nappies and wipes which I feel is enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just to clarify, BB is still 5k isn't it? That's what It has on human services website. Then 3k for each subsequent child. So it's still quite a good "bonus", especially as just about everyone can get it (unless you get PPL).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    Just to clarify, BB is still 5k isn't it? That's what It has on human services website. Then 3k for each subsequent child. So it's still quite a good "bonus", especially as just about everyone can get it (unless you get PPL).
    Yes, this is how it currently is, but it's being scrapped isn't it? That's what someone else mentioned in one of my other threads. I wasn't sure if the BB was automatic and what happened in the case of adoption, if it's automatic it will need to be repaid but if I need to apply for it then it's a matter of not applying which is easy, but it was mentioned that it's being scrapped next year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret of Cleo View Post
    Yes, this is how it currently is, but it's being scrapped isn't it? That's what someone else mentioned in one of my other threads. I wasn't sure if the BB was automatic and what happened in the case of adoption, if it's automatic it will need to be repaid but if I need to apply for it then it's a matter of not applying which is easy, but it was mentioned that it's being scrapped next year.
    Yes it is, I just looked it up, I didn't realise that was confirmed. From march next year it's 2k instead of 5k. Pretty sure you get it when adopting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is this new? Can someone tell me about it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is what new?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    Is what new?
    Is this about the existing paid parental leave or something else?